Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Concept: Urania, the Stargazer

Raarsi

(So normally I try to wait a while between posting concepts, but I'd figure that between the main issue it was trying to solve on top of the previous concept I posted being by request that I'd make an exception).

Named for the Greek muse attributed to astrology and astronomy, the initial goal was to find a solution to the current conundrum of Warframe missing a frame whose name starts with the letter “U”.  Considering that she would be “star”-themed, it was decided that Urania could also be a concept that could focus on the blast element in a way that would make it feel far less underwhelming than it currently is compared to the other elements.  Appearance for Urania would fall in line with her source material with details such as a cloak or even a full outfit looking kinda like a night sky.  Her speargun Stargazer is a reference to the muse’s pastime of stargazing and was added in not only for the excuse of a proper beam speargun (which has never been done before), but also to have a weapon that could both fit the concept for Urania and could be decorated with a star globe that the muse Urania is always depicted with.

Health: Average   Shields: Above average   Energy: ~300   Armor: Below average

Stellar Majesty - Passive.  Blast status effects applied by Urania have their effects doubled and their durations tripled.

Shooting Star - 25 energy, 25m base distance, 5m base radius.  Deals moderate blast damage to the target and nearby enemies and reduces their armor by 50%.  If Fate Defied is active, this ability consumes it to cause the initial strike to chain to nearby enemies, each strike detonating with the same radius.

Fate Defied - 50 energy, 10 sec base duration.  Foreseeing a potential unfortunate fate for herself, Urania readies herself to defy it.  If Urania’s health falls below 25%, she is healed for 25% of her max health and 50% of her shields are restored.  This ability is also consumed by other abilities for additional effects.

Astral Inspiration - 75 energy, 25m base radius, 20 sec base duration.  Increases multishot and ability casting speeds by 50% for Urania and all allies in range.  If Fate Defied is active, this ability consumes it to double the effects but reduce the duration by half.

Cosmic Fury - 100 energy, 25m base radius.  Urania rains the stars upon her foes, dealing high heat, blast and radiation damage.  If Fate Defied is active, this ability consumes it to grant overguard based on the damage dealt.

Weapon

Stargazer - speargun, high status chance.  Fires a beam that sears enemies.  Alt fire consumes additional ammo to throw the spear, causing it to blast multiple beams in various directions.  In Urania’s hands, this weapon has an increased magazine capacity.

Anyway, that's the concept.  If y'all like it, great!  If not, that's okay too.

• Like 1

I love the concept! But I personally think a cosmos-themed Warframe would be better suited to radiation, heat and/or gas damage rather than blast (which I see you covered in her 4th ability). Of course we just got a radiation Warframe, Qorvex, but I think blast damage would be better suited to say, a Warframe that's all about unleashing mayhem with a destructive arsenal of grenades and bombs and such.

I would also comment that maybe the 3rd ability you suggested could be upgraded to a nebula-based ability since it would be fitting for this concept. It could be an ability that spreads a nebula cloud around and/or in front of Urania that both energizes and buffs you and your allies as you mentioned, and at the same time damages enemies (with heat and maybe also gas damage). I hope you like this idea.

Edited by Novashank
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Novashank said:

I love the concept! But I personally think a cosmos-themed Warframe would be better suited to radiation, heat and/or gas damage rather than blast (which I see you covered in her 4th ability). Of course we just got a radiation Warframe, Qorvex, but I think blast damage would be better suited to say, a Warframe that's all about unleashing mayhem with a destructive arsenal of grenades and bombs and such.

Thanks!  So I had thought about radiation, but also felt that between Qorvex and the heavier focus we got with Whispers in the Walls that I wanted to focus more on the destructive aspects of stars, which I felt was more on the side of blast damage.  We also don't really have a blast frame either, so it was a minor excuse to use it as well and I'll probably wait until after whatever rework we get for blast to cook up another concept that focuses on it (although I'm sure it'll use bombs).

4 hours ago, Novashank said:

I would also comment that maybe the 3rd ability you suggested could be upgraded to a nebula-based ability since it would be fitting for this concept. It could be an ability that spreads a nebula cloud around and/or in front of Urania that both energizes and buffs you and your allies as you mentioned, and at the same time damages enemies (with heat and maybe also gas damage). I hope you like this idea.

Well I was mostly trying to contain the damage portions of her kit to her first and fourth ability while having her third as sort of a "high risk, high reward" sort of buff, but I do like that suggestion too.  The only concern I'd have is that it'd be doing too much mechanically at that point since it'd be trying to buff, energize and damage all at once, which means that at least some component of it would have to be weaker to offset the cost.  I suppose maybe only having one or two of the effects as baseline and then using her second to add in the third effect.

Good bit to think about.  Thanks for the review!