Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Hate This Damage System, I Just Hate It

yarash2110

They wanted to make all the weapons viable and none of the weapons worthless so they made some of the weapons viable some of the time and the rest worthless the rest of the time.

I don't really care for it either. They basically removed one form of forced loadouts for another, more complicated version. The old "paper-rock-scissors" method is time-honored for its effectiveness in balancing many different types of games; but justly reviled for its sheer lack of inspiration and interesting mechanics. Seems like every potentially interesting step forward the weapon and damage system takes it gets shunted back two and a half.

Hopefully DE won't get hung up on their own hype and will continue to try and improve the system.

Edited by DeadlyFred

They wanted to make all the weapons viable and none of the weapons worthless so they made some of the weapons viable some of the time and the rest worthless the rest of the time.

Which weapons are worthless the rest of the time? 

My apologies if it sounds rude but I want to know what weapon people are complaining about and where so I can actually see the issue for myself. 

This situation is very easy to fix. But developers are unaware of how to do it.

I will tell you that to start is the system that exists now must significantly complicate the game. And after outflow third players developers begin to develop a workable system in truth damage based on 2.0.

Now you can tell them in which direction to move, but they are not interested in changes at the moment. Accordingly change while nothing will.

I've been using radiation modded Gremlins against everything.

Everything is now dead. You can go ask it if you don't believe me.

I'm dead.

My gas Embolist couldn't chew through shields, so I put magnetism on it.

Tigris is apparently meant to kill infested (slash damage for some reason), but I'm using it against grineer and works quite well.

Now all I need is a weapon with more than friggin 15% proc chance. hdfghdsfghsfg

I've been using radiation modded Gremlins against everything.

Everything is now dead. You can go ask it if you don't believe me.

My gas Embolist couldn't chew through shields, so I put magnetism on it.

Tigris is apparently meant to kill infested (slash damage for some reason), but I'm using it against grineer and works quite well.

Now all I need is a weapon with more than friggin 15% proc chance. hdfghdsfghsfg

blast damage works amazing on embolist

I'm not so sure I agree with this.  With damage 2.0 we have some real room to customize weapons, to the point where I feel we might have some redundancies.  Let's look at the Boltor, Braton MKI, and Latron as examples of taste.  DE could make the Boltor and the Latron sport higher potential DPS, but they're definitely harder to wield than the Braton MKI.  They each could have equal amounts of impact, puncture, and slash damage, leaving it to mods to adjust that damage appropriately.

Right now, there's a bit of a problem in that late game more specialized weapons become more and more necessary, like high puncture and corrosive for Grineer.  Right now the Boltor and Latron cover, but the MKI is... well it's trash because it's primarily slash.  Never mind that overall it's stats just plain demand it be replaced ASAP and never looked at again.  The Braton deals a balanced amount of damage across all types, scales up fairly well with serration, and elemental mods definitely benefit from that as well.  Worse, the Braton is effectively the Boltor, only easier to work with.  Arguably, if the boltor works, the braton will too, if with somewhat lower DPS.

The gist of my point is that I'd rather players find a weapon they like, and be able to adjust its strengths towards targets via mods, as opposed to just finding specific weapons specialized to take on those targets.  These weapons could even come with mods "built in" like punch through for, say, a sniper rifle, shotgun, or the boltor, to justify keeping the stats similar across similar weapons, but to differentiate them from one another.

the mk-1 is trash anyway as its a starter weapon meant to be replaced asap

xD they at least need to fix the system. today a paris out beat my cernos, and we were fighting corpus. it was doing more damage than me, and some hits with my cernos was landing 14 damage on them. and the cernos is mainly impact damage which is good against shields. and yes the 14 damage was landed on with it having shields. but the thing that confuses me. is if the paris can land a 1 hit kill, but the cernos cant. btw both of these bows were not ranked. so no mods, and the paris out shined it. but the paris is puncture not impact. so please explain, how it out beat the cernos. impact damage, means nothing in this game apparently.

Paris has higher base dmg,

Were you fighting low lvl corpus? the shield dmg bonus is literally only applied when it damages a shield.

And were you shooting their heads? corpus heads take only 10% dmg atm from any source, which is probably how you got that 14 dmg.

But Cernos should have been dealing more dmg none the less.

Though all in all, impact and to some lesser extent magnetic are still really poor choices.

You'd need enemies with pretty high shields not to waste your dmg, and even then the shield ignoring toxin is a much more desirable option.