The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kinda obvious but I have not seen anyone saying this, but what if On-lyne was... Online

45neo

Basically, concept of this is as stated above. We have already been shown that the warframe 1999 is unlike our own containing some technologies more advanced than our own history. We also know the technocyte virus is completely capable of taking over a.i. Is it a stretch to believe that in the ancient Orokin era there was no taboo against non-cephalon a.i. until after a near-extinction event in 1999? When the technocyte virus took over a.i. and was used it against the Orokin it started the taboo. But not in time enough for a massive sensation, an a.i. with not only a lot of computational influence but also social influence was taken over by the technocyte virus and used against humanity. 

It is then my speculation that the infested liches we see in Warframe's present are not infected members of the boy band, but instead, void-attuned infested elites modelled after or created with the concept of being stand-ins for boy band members. This is accomplished by a sub-hive mind that has survived since the year 1999 still influenced by its takeover of the a.i. Vocaloid model the On-Lyne band. The implication is, that the representatives of the band can be replaced... 

• Like 3

Before we got introduced to Onlyne, at the end of the Sound Panel they wanted everyone to shout "Online" 5 times, so I think the connection is likely deliberate between Onlyne and Online if that's what you're asking.

Pretty much most of the things in 1999 that were shown reference computers to some extent, for example Big Bytes Pizza, a play on words and a pun with Computer bytes.

• Like 1

I think it would be more horrific if it is an actual physical band, like the way the infested used Arlo's body as a lure to infect more people

On the other hand, with AI-generated art/music/video being a huge issue these days, I kind of like the idea of actually being able to kill a piece of "infested-generated music"

• Like 5

Just now, Pakaku said:

I think it would be more horrific if it is an actual physical band, like the way the infested used Arlo's body as a lure to infect more people

I'm of the opinion it is the actual band, but a cloned version of it remade by the Infestation.

Similarly to how we can use a Warframe but we're not using THE original Warframe.

• Like 1

Something I've noticed is that, outside the Hex (who are infected with Helminth from Albrecht's time), all the infestation this time seems to be going after machines, and Arthur seems more concerned about the Arcade cabinets getting infected than anything else. It's even called 'Techrot' as the colloquial term, as opposed to Technocyte. Which would make sense given the Y2K themes DE are going for.

So, perhaps this earlier strain couldn't infect organic life, only assimilate mass and information? And as the Orokin emerged, with their gene-locked tech, physical void keys and Data Vaults, the Infestation gradually lost this ability until it atrophied away entirely - only in modern day to be revived in the Mutualist strain, which could infect both data and biology. After all, the Grey Strain, who were around during the Old War but untouched until Heart of Deimos, comparatively demonstrates a huge preference for mimicing organic life.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Something I've noticed is that, outside the Hex (who are infected with Helminth from Albrecht's time), all the infestation this time seems to be going after machines, and Arthur seems more concerned about the Arcade cabinets getting infected than anything else. It's even called 'Techrot' as the colloquial term, as opposed to Technocyte. Which would make sense given the Y2K themes DE are going for.

So, perhaps this earlier strain couldn't infect organic life, only assimilate mass and information? And as the Orokin emerged, with their gene-locked tech, physical void keys and Data Vaults, the Infestation gradually lost this ability until it atrophied away entirely - only in modern day to be revived in the Mutualist strain, which could infect both data and biology. After all, the Grey Strain, who were around during the Old War but untouched until Heart of Deimos, comparatively demonstrates a huge preference for mimicing organic life.

I would like to refer you to this post and one line that asks. "is your neighbour still your neighbour or is he contaminated? Make the call. keep us safe" 

Although I agree there is certainly a preference for infecting tech, it seems to affect organic life as well. A bit contrary to my speculations, but I think we can agree it is focusing a lot on infecting tech and as otherwise pointed out, a lot of things in this 1999 reality seem to be tech-based. 

)

4 minutes ago, 45neo said:

I would like to refer you to this post and one line that asks. "is your neighbour still your neighbour or is he contaminated? Make the call. keep us safe" 

Although I agree there is certainly a preference for infecting tech, it seems to affect organic life as well. A bit contrary to my speculations, but I think we can agree it is focusing a lot on infecting tech and as otherwise pointed out, a lot of things in this 1999 reality seem to be tech-based. 

)

Ah, dang.

Well, can't win em all!

4 hours ago, 45neo said:

Basically, concept of this is as stated above. We have already been shown that the warframe 1999 is unlike our own containing some technologies more advanced than our own history. We also know the technocyte virus is completely capable of taking over a.i. Is it a stretch to believe that in the ancient Orokin era there was no taboo against non-cephalon a.i. until after a near-extinction event in 1999? When the technocyte virus took over a.i. and was used it against the Orokin it started the taboo. But not in time enough for a massive sensation, an a.i. with not only a lot of computational influence but also social influence was taken over by the technocyte virus and used against humanity. 

It is then my speculation that the infested liches we see in Warframe's present are not infected members of the boy band, but instead, void-attuned infested elites modelled after or created with the concept of being stand-ins for boy band members. This is accomplished by a sub-hive mind that has survived since the year 1999 still influenced by its takeover of the a.i. Vocaloid model the On-Lyne band. The implication is, that the representatives of the band can be replaced... 

I had assumed 1999 was the oldest point in time yet seen in the entire Warframe mythos, before we had any direct contact with the Orokin.

3 hours ago, Xiothin said:

I had assumed 1999 was the oldest point in time yet seen in the entire Warframe mythos, before we had any direct contact with the Orokin.

Perhaps, although, to our best understanding, the Orokin is just an elite class of humans who rule the empire, the exotic appearances were a form of fashion of sorts where they would modify the bodies they occupied with different hues of skin or elongated limbs, whether through surgical or genetic means. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 45neo said:

Perhaps, although, to our best understanding, the Orokin is just an elite class of humans who rule the empire, the exotic appearances were a form of fashion of sorts where they would modify the bodies they occupied with different hues of skin or elongated limbs, whether through surgical or genetic means. 

I thought Orokins were a completely different race then us, tbh.

My theory was that everything in the story now kicks off with 1999. People on earth enjoyed pizza and listening to boy band, similar to our 1999 but with clear differences.

22 hours ago, Pakaku said:

Damn forgot about Arlo
Why'd you have to remind me of infestation protruding from a child's mouth

On 2024-07-22 at 7:29 PM, Xiothin said:

I thought Orokins were a completely different race then us, tbh.

My theory was that everything in the story now kicks off with 1999. People on earth enjoyed pizza and listening to boy band, similar to our 1999 but with clear differences.

Nah I’m pretty sure the other dude has it right. The Daimos Entratis are clearly Orokin, while Albercht is very clearly not. This is one of our biggest clues. They probably achieved such a high standing in the empire due to his actions and void discoveries. I do believe, however, that all Orokin got the same body alterations for some reason, whether it’s an initiation thing or what I’m not entirely sure on.

12 hours ago, GooeyJib said:

Nah I’m pretty sure the other dude has it right. The Daimos Entratis are clearly Orokin, while Albercht is very clearly not. This is one of our biggest clues. They probably achieved such a high standing in the empire due to his actions and void discoveries. I do believe, however, that all Orokin got the same body alterations for some reason, whether it’s an initiation thing or what I’m not entirely sure on.

Mother is his actual biological daughter though I think.

On 2024-07-29 at 3:41 PM, GooeyJib said:

Albrecht specifically refused Continuity thanks to his experience with Wally, so that's probably why he's a lot less blue and doesn't have a giant arm. 

Except the only real problem is we actually have a picture of him that's fairly blue and Orokin-esque, while in recent media he appears completely human. 

It seems like that look was actually damage from the Void he sustained, being essentially blind and having his skin scorched until Loid helped him heal. It feels a little like DE messed up and had to retroactively try to explain it, but it's there.