The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's talk about Soulframe...

Abyssfallen

TL;DR

Warframe's success sets high expectations for Digital Extremes' new game, Soulframe. However, Soulframe is currently falling short, with misplaced priorities on critter animations over critical gameplay elements. Combat feels clunky, enemies are passive, and excessive flashy effects distract from the action. To improve, Soulframe needs better hit registration, reduced flashiness, and higher-quality animations. Competing with games like Elden Ring, Soulframe must elevate its gameplay to avoid being seen as a subpar alternative.

Priorityframe: Misplaced Priorities in Soulframe

Warframe has established itself as one of the most successful live service games, known for its strong and positive relationship with its community. Its consistent success and expansion, including the latest update "1999," have solidified its place, arguably even surpassing Destiny. However, amidst this success, Digital Extremes (DE) has announced a new venture: Soulframe.

Given the high standards set by Warframe, Soulframe cannot afford to be mediocre. Unfortunately, current evidence suggests that it falls short. DE appears to have misplaced its priorities, focusing on critter animations over crucial elements like boss design. The boss characters suffer from poor lighting effects and subpar animations for both the player character and enemies. Additionally, issues with hitboxes and hit registration are evident.

DE has teased aspects of Soulframe's story, but a compelling narrative cannot compensate for flawed core gameplay. Despite impressive animal animations and interactions, the combat system remains inadequate. DE must appeal to its audience by showcasing what truly matters: gameplay. As it stands, the gameplay in Soulframe is fundamentally flawed.

Combatframe Concerns

After reviewing various videos and community feedback, it's clear that Soulframe's combat has significant issues. While a slower-paced combat approach compared to Warframe is acceptable, it demands superior animations. Currently, character movements are clunky and inconsistent, with instances of characters appearing floaty, reminiscent of FFXIV's problematic combat animations where characters defy physics.

Another major issue is the passive behavior of enemies, who often stand idle as the player methodically eliminates them.

Flashframe Issues

The excessive use of flashing lights during combat is another problem. The intense effects, particularly when shooting arrows at the boss Nimrod, are overwhelming and distracting. These effects seem to be an attempt to mask the inadequacies of the combat system. The numerous flashy effects on Nimrod detract from the gameplay experience, making it difficult to follow the action.

Recommendations for Improvement

To address these issues, Soulframe needs:

• Improved hit registration and hitboxes.
  • Reduced flashiness to ensure players can clearly see the action.
  • Significantly better animations and character movements, meeting AAA standards.

Soulframe is competing against titles like Elden Ring. Falling short of such benchmarks will render it a mere budget alternative. It's imperative that DE refines Soulframe to meet the expectations of its audience and the standards set by its competitors.

Thank you for reading, looking forward to 1999! 

Edited by Abyssfallen
  • Like 2

Il y a 1 heure, Abyssfallen a dit :
  • Reduced flashiness to ensure players can clearly see the action.

I think that's the most important point for me. I don't suffer from any medical condition with my eyes, but some games tend to go a little too crazy with flashbangs and I think the trend needs to stop. They take away from the action and you don't get to appreciate the care in animation details.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Abyssfallen said:

Soulframe is competing against titles like Elden Ring. Falling short of such benchmarks will render it a mere budget alternative. It's imperative that DE refines Soulframe to meet the expectations of its audience and the standards set by its competitors.

Soulframe isn’t a Soulslike. DE have been very clear on the fact it’s not trying to compete with games like Elden Ring. it’s not even the same genre.

we saw a prelude build, still in development, being streamed live on twitch with twitch compression, of course it’s not going to look as good as recorded footage posted straight to YouTube. 

• Like 1

I don't think the warframe forums are the correct place to discuss this. I would have actual opinions and insights as someone who has played the game but since everyone in preludes is under NDA we're not allowed to share any of that so if you have a point of feedback and are in preludes share it on their discord instead.

Edited by LittleLeoniePrime
  • Like 1

Get into the preludes and you'll be able to provide proper feedback directly to DE in the apropriate discord.

This ensures there is gameplay behind the criticism, because what you saw is part of the experience and it's not those things that will make or break the game.

I'm in the Preludes and have given feedback.

Something I can say here is that all of the players are aware of the problems with the combat, however while the animations and tracking are currently lacking, the actual combat is considered fun by the large majority.

The core of the combat is functional and it's the clean-up and polish of tracking and animations that needs to be done.

The only major addition that needs to be implemented is updating from their current Softlock combat to have the option for a Hardlock system. People aren't noticing that there's even a Softlock system when watching, where you actually do lock on to enemies you're fighting and your dodge and movement are centered on them. It's really not apparent in the demos and videos people see, and so there definitely needs to be that extra option to help people want to get into the game.

Thinking of watchers, though, it really is amazing how many people are coming out of the woodwork and quoting Asmon... I mean, it's not like that's a video that DE won't have seen, it's one of the more recognised content creators in the gaming space reacting to the demo at TennoCon. They've definitely shared that around the office.

So... while the feedback is noted, and it's a point in the favour that people are agreeing with it... This thread really has already been said in a much more noticeable way in both the general internet space and on dedicated feedback reporting of the Preludes itself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

I'm in the Preludes and have given feedback.

Something I can say here is that all of the players are aware of the problems with the combat, however while the animations and tracking are currently lacking, the actual combat is considered fun by the large majority.

The core of the combat is functional and it's the clean-up and polish of tracking and animations that needs to be done.

The only major addition that needs to be implemented is updating from their current Softlock combat to have the option for a Hardlock system. People aren't noticing that there's even a Softlock system when watching, where you actually do lock on to enemies you're fighting and your dodge and movement are centered on them. It's really not apparent in the demos and videos people see, and so there definitely needs to be that extra option to help people want to get into the game.

Thinking of watchers, though, it really is amazing how many people are coming out of the woodwork and quoting Asmon... I mean, it's not like that's a video that DE won't have seen, it's one of the more recognised content creators in the gaming space reacting to the demo at TennoCon. They've definitely shared that around the office.

So... while the feedback is noted, and it's a point in the favour that people are agreeing with it... This thread really has already been said in a much more noticeable way in both the general internet space and on dedicated feedback reporting of the Preludes itself.

Ahhh okay that makes sense cuz I was wondering why there hasn't been much talk on the forums, at least from what I have seen. Glad to know the feedback is being shared from people thinking similarly.