The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

August 2024 Riven Dispositions

13 hours ago, Teyontii said:

It might sound stupid, but I wonder what would happen if they just deleted the deposition system... I mean, deleting it and making values follow the current 1.0〜1.2 or something. 

Incarnons, new 'meta' weapons, usually have quite high riven deposition, whereas old 'meta' weapons such as kuva zarr have low deposition, and it doesn't make much sense.

Why doesn't DE just delete the system and save time to do something more productive?

Because kuva machine keeps people playing for a long time. They can shift people's attention to different weapons by changing the disposition and having unknown expectations. If everyone knew what rivens on certain weapons would do and the numbers never changed, there's less exploring or tinkering. 

Edited by Feltal

11 hours ago, Feltal said:

Because kuva machine keeps people playing for a long time. They can shift people's attention to different weapons by changing the disposition and having unknown expectations. If everyone knew what rivens on certain weapons would do and the numbers never changed, there's less exploring or tinkering. 

What's there to explore? Everyone chases the same stats for the same weapon archetypes, and they've been doing it since the system released in 2016. Actually, with how powercrept and homogenized the Arsenal has gotten, that's only become more of a case with the diminishing returns of base damage, addition of more multipliers not found on Rivens, and nerfing of other multipliers. The only thing that "spices things up" is innate changes to specific weapons, the addition of augments/passives, or fundamental balance passes to the game's damage system. Riven Mods are attractive for their uniqueness due to randomization, but they are far less attractiveness than the base characteristics of weapons or their damage behavior. If we look at builds as a pyramid, the base of the pyramid is the weapon itself, and Riven Mods are at the peak. They are still relevant for combining mods and saving a slot to add power, but they are the cherry on top, not a fundamental component to weapon performance.

The only thing Riven Disposition does is restrict which stats are worth keeping on a roll as the multiplier decreases. The difference between a 0.50 and 1.00 Disposition mod isn't a relevant amount of power (especially these days), it's just the flexibility of stats worth slotting. We're long past the days of Scoliac or Kohm where Riven Mods made a monumental difference in mission performance. There's a craze for Incarnon weapons and now Verglas, but the amount of practical difference wouldn't even be noticeable or detract attention with the removal of Disposition. You could make Verglas Prime 0.50 and everyone would still be spending what they are now on an unrolled chasing the 50% Critical Chance breakpoint. The only difference between now and that hypothetical situation is the flexibility to roll more than a 2+/1- with Critical Chance as one of those positives.

Disposition will always be an arbitrary mechanic accomplishing nothing for weapon balance or diversity. It's been proven over the course of 8 years now across a plethora of updates that made real changes that affect gear fundamentally. Imagine how fine-tuned some weapons could be if DE were auditing base stats every Prime Access for the last 5 years instead of wasting their time adjusting Riven Disposition. People who ignore Rivens Mods would also be benefitting from that as well. It's so unproductive to continue this charade.

Edited by Voltage

On 2024-08-22 at 12:45 AM, MrDugan said:

I have seen more complaints about "slamkong" than I've seen slamkongs.  Which is 0.  Never seen one.  I don't see Torid for as often as people talk about it being so strong.  Or Ocucor for that matter.

They're probably on the Asia server, and I can assure you it's not an exaggeration when there will be a slam kong for each corner. Try going public while you're on Asia server, 80% chance that there will be at least 1 slamkong in your team. If you're lucky, you may end up in a game where the rest of the squad are all slamkongs.