Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Trumna and Punch Through...

FM_Hikari

I recently built the Trumna, as i've heard from other folks that it was a "heavy, punchy and generally very large machine gun".

But once i tried it out on Qorvex, who is my walking tank, the shots didn't seem to explode on the first target as usual for weapons with explosive rounds. Would this behavior be intentional or a buggy one? Because about a third of my damage gets wasted on walls or some unfortunate enemy behind my main target, unless i play with another frame.

I don't know what to do to fix this, and i really liked the gun.

21 minutes ago, FM_Hikari said:

Would this behavior be intentional or a buggy one?

Intentional on any punch thourgh. In order for explosive weapon to explode it needs to collide with the enemy/obstacle. If it goes past, the collision doesnt happen.

21 minutes ago, FM_Hikari said:

You can circument this by aiming at enemy's feet (into the ground). This way your hit will hit the enemy directly (feet) and the ground will trigger the explosion.

Edited by Zakkhar

It's intended behaviour with explosives, they usually explode on contact, yet with punch through it literally just goes straight through enemies and explode further when bullets reach the ground or a wall. It's just unfortunate that you get no choice but to have punch through when playing with Qorvex.

20 minutes ago, FM_Hikari said:

But once i tried it out on Qorvex, who is my walking tank, the shots didn't seem to explode on the first target as usual for weapons with explosive rounds.

Are you certain?  At least in the Sim it's exploding on first contact, not after.  I can tell because I'm getting two status effects and two damage popups, whereas if the AoE were punching through only one of each would be possible on the first target with my setup. 

The only unusual thing about Trumna and a very few other AoE weapons is PT isn't disabled on the projectiles too.  But that seems like a sizable plus to me.

1 hour ago, Rathalio said:

It's intended behaviour with explosives, they usually explode on contact, yet with punch through it literally just goes straight through enemies and explode further when bullets reach the ground or a wall.

On the majority (I suspect the vast majority) of projectiles that also have a radial damage component, punch through doesn't punch for either the direct projectile hit or the explosion.  In other words, it's a waste of an affix on them, but also not actively harmful.

There are a few that behave the way you describe though.  Komo, Mutalist Cernos, and Ignis are the three I can think of.  And there are also a couple of other odd patterns that are "none of the above".

2 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

Are you certain?  At least in the Sim it's exploding on first contact, not after.  I can tell because I'm getting two status effects and two damage popups, whereas if the AoE were punching through only one of each would be possible on the first target with my setup. 

The only unusual thing about Trumna and a very few other AoE weapons is PT isn't disabled on the projectiles too.  But that seems like a sizable plus to me.

Yes, i have. With my Qorvex, the primary fire of the Trumna goes straight through most enemies, and even some walls after going through said enemies. Happens in Simulacrum and normal missions. It also shoots through some flooring, leading to no explosion whatsoever.

27 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

On the majority (I suspect the vast majority) of projectiles that also have a radial damage component, punch through doesn't punch for either the direct projectile hit or the explosion.  In other words, it's a waste of an affix on them, but also not actively harmful.

There are a few that behave the way you describe though.  Komo, Mutalist Cernos, and Ignis are the three I can think of.  And there are also a couple of other odd patterns that are "none of the above".

From my own experience, the majority of explosive weapons, even with Punch Through, usually explode on contact. Ignis is another one that behaves like the Trumna does, but isn't it a beam weapon?

2 hours ago, FM_Hikari said:

Yes, i have. With my Qorvex, the primary fire of the Trumna goes straight through most enemies, and even some walls after going through said enemies. Happens in Simulacrum and normal missions. It also shoots through some flooring, leading to no explosion whatsoever.

So this is what I'm seeing:

The weapon is modified ~95% status and lots of PT and no multishot.   I fire once, and two yellow damage numbers pop up.   You can just glimpse a third white damage popup, though you may have to slow it down to catch it.   The first target gets two rad procs, and the second target just one.

Since there's no multishot and I only fired once (The mag goes from 200 to 199.) just about the only explanation I can come up with  is this:  the first target is hit with two damage instances.  One is the projectile, the second is the radial.    The target behind is only hit with the continuing projectile.

That's only a short demonstration, but over a longer period the first target always gets two damage popups, and usually two statuses.   I can't always see the damage popups on the second target, but it never, ever gets more than one status.

If you're seeing something different in Sim and missions then I'm intrigued.

From my own experience, the majority of explosive weapons, even with Punch Through, usually explode on contact.

That's right.

Ignis is another one that behaves like the Trumna does, but isn't it a beam weapon?

It's both a beam and an explosive weapon basically.  There's a radial damage sphere at the end of the beam.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb FM_Hikari:

I recently built the Trumna, as i've heard from other folks that it was a "heavy, punchy and generally very large machine gun".

But once i tried it out on Qorvex, who is my walking tank, the shots didn't seem to explode on the first target as usual for weapons with explosive rounds. Would this behavior be intentional or a buggy one? Because about a third of my damage gets wasted on walls or some unfortunate enemy behind my main target, unless i play with another frame.

that's not the strength of the weapon. but the synergy with Warframe skills. something like Harrow for example... so very fast fire rate + fast reload. and then with max range you get 1-3 million crits after charging.

and the enemies never form a line... so what you want to achieve with that is unclear to me...........

3 hours ago, Venus-Venera said:

that's not the strength of the weapon. but the synergy with Warframe skills. something like Harrow for example... so very fast fire rate + fast reload. and then with max range you get 1-3 million crits after charging.

and the enemies never form a line... so what you want to achieve with that is unclear to me...........

I understand that it isn't the main strength of the weapon. I still insist in using the main fire mode, as i prefer either non-explosive weapons or weapons with little AoE in them. The Trumna caught my eye because it gave out a Doom feel. I guess i'll have to search something else now, as it feels underwhelming to use due to its interaction with PT.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb FM_Hikari:

I understand that it isn't the main strength of the weapon. I still insist in using the main fire mode, as i prefer either non-explosive weapons or weapons with little AoE in them. The Trumna caught my eye because it gave out a Doom feel. I guess i'll have to search something else now, as it feels underwhelming to use due to its interaction with PT.

it's purely a matter of taste. and personally I don't like recoil + super slow reloading.

and there is enough choice for single target. not only do I have all the weapons, I have pimped 60% with max formas + arcanes etc. but without knowing your taste, I can't recommend anything.