The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Why is DE so damn good at making a good story line

Warframe has one of the best story lines I’ve ever seen, heard, or played and goddamn is DE cooking with this and the fact that they also actually care about their community is another thing that is absolutely fantastic like hell the newest quest is short but sweet and goddamn it I wish I had been part of warframe sooner. The thing that I don’t like is the fact that they vaulted revenant prime.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Involvingiowa said:

Warframe has one of the best story lines I’ve ever seen, heard, or played and goddamn is DE cooking with this and the fact that they also actually care about their community is another thing that is absolutely fantastic like hell the newest quest is short but sweet and goddamn it I wish I had been part of warframe sooner. The thing that I don’t like is the fact that they vaulted revenant prime.

Wow. I have the exact opposite feeling. I don't think they're good at making a good storyline and I think this prologue is an example of that. I think 343 Halo has a better story than anything in Warframe, and Halo fans will tell you they hate that story. I've played a lot of game stories and I've seen a lot of game stories, and I've played Warframe since 2013. I'd never say Warframe's story to date is one of the best I've seen.

That said, I'm glad you enjoy the story. I hope one day the game can have a story we both enjoy. 

Edited by OniDax
  • Like 11

16 hours ago, OniDax said:

Wow. I have the exact opposite feeling. I don't think they're good at making a good storyline and I think this prologue is an example of that. I think 343 Halo has a better story than anything in Warframe, and Halo fans will tell you they hate that story. I've played a lot of game stories and I've seen a lot of game stories, and I've played Warframe since 2013. I'd never say Warframe's story to date is one of the best I've seen.

That said, I'm glad you enjoy the story. I hope one day the game can have a story we both enjoy. 

This is where I'm at. I haven't enjoyed a story quest since the Sacrifice. Warframe's writing is often clumsy to downright offensive (looking at you, Jade Shadows).

If people are having fun, that's cool but I don't think that necessarily reflects on the quality of the writing.

Edited by Snowbluff
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, Snowbluff said:

This is where I'm at. I haven't enjoyed a story quest since the Sacrifice. Warframe's writing is often clumsy to downright offensive (looking at you, Jade Shadows).

If people are having fun, that's cool but I don't think that necessarily reflects on the quality of the writing.

Sacrifice is the only story I really think was halfway decent. I actually didn't care for The Second Dream. I like Sacrifice. In my opinion, it was effective in conveying the intended emotion. However, I still don't like how DE approached the storytelling. We get a small glimpse into Umbra's history, when I wish we got to see him be the warrior he was, his relationship with his son, then discover Ballas's betrayal, then the actual story of Sacrifice.

I know some will say "Well that's the best DE could do given their resources."  These same people said DE was working on the story for 3 years and that this was the reason for the delay. In 3 years, they could've offered a fleshed out story like that. But DE didn't work on it for 3 years. They worked on it for like 6 months or so; the rest of that time, they procrastinated doing anything with Umbra, likely because it was community-pressure, not their own plans, that pushed them to even reluctantly offer Umbra to the global player base.

Even Sacrifice is representative of the problems with DE's approach to storytelling.

Eh this is my opinion and just wanted to share it but you may think differently but I’m also relatively new so this is the first quest that I saw come out so you may have different opinions but I really do enjoy the story of this game and I can’t wait to see where there taking it, but I do see what you mean with story becoming sloppy but I think they were just doing world building with jade shadows, although the new war should just be call Lotus: War Within and they could connected durivi like the moment you get tossed into the void portal and do the durivi paradox as a part of new war

1 hour ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

Good One Lol GIF by Justin

How do you do that?

17 hours ago, OniDax said:

And yeah hope you can also enjoy the story but I recommend making a new account and go though all the quest back to back to back that’s how I experienced it and that’s how halo is if I’m not wrong which means you could enjoy games that have back to back story missions or quests 

• Like 1

And that’s not a bad thing at all do what you enjoy that’s what games are for entertainment and storytelling in some cases and others stress release but find what you enjoy and do it no one’s forcing to do anything (that I know of) and do you

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Involvingiowa said:

Eh this is my opinion and just wanted to share it

We're all entitled to our own opinions but if I'm gonna be honest with you, you just sound like a White Knight, you picked a very awful  time to share this, considering that this short Quest was not very received

17 minutes ago, Involvingiowa said:

How do you do that?

There is a gif choice when you can control your text, look for the tiny box called [GIF]

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

We're all entitled to our own opinions but if I'm gonna be honest with you, you just sound like a White Knight, you picked a very awful  time to share this, considering that this short Quest was not very received

There is a gif choice when you can control your text, look for the tiny box called [GIF]

Yeah I agree that this is a bad time for this post due to how short the quest is but I’m just hoping my opinion on it last the test of time and (the gif part)thank you for informing me on that

Hallmark Ecards Thank You GIF by Hallmark Gold Crown

3 hours ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

Thanks again

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Involvingiowa said:

And yeah hope you can also enjoy the story but I recommend making a new account and go though all the quest back to back to back that’s how I experienced it and that’s how halo is if I’m not wrong which means you could enjoy games that have back to back story missions or quests 

I'll consider doing that. I think most quests are replayable now so I might also go that option.

I encourage you to check out other video game stories. Most games have a standard narrative campaign. You can even watch playthroughs on YouTube. I recommend Ghost of Tshushima, Marvel's Spider-Man (the first one), God of War, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (2009), Crysis 2, Halo 1-3, Halo 4 and Halo 5 Guardians, The Last of Us, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order.

That's just games. There are a number of movies you can watch as well. A few suggestions that have action are The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Godzilla Minus One, Saving Private Ryan, The Dark Knight. Some others are The Shawshank Redemption, Schindler's List, The Green Mile.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but I encourage you to broaden your exposure to stories. You will find there are a lot of very deep, well-written, character-focused stories out there, some of which also have some good action.

Edited by OniDax
  • Like 1