The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Non spoiler thought: The new music on the login screen hecking slaps

Just wanted to send some praise Keith's way for the new music on the login screen. Well worth sitting down and having a listen to before you enter your password.

For those who haven't taken the time, it's a new arrangement of the main theme, with a very 90s synth arpeggio in the background, and a new (?) call-and-response countermelody in the vocals. The countermelody might actually be based on some other theme, and also I think it has words while the main melody doesn't, so maybe there's a secret there that I haven't realised. However you slice it this is still a banger.

But in any case, good job Keith, and can we get this one added to the Somachord?

• Like 3

Yessss. Also! I can't believe it took me this long to realize the pager ringtone is the melody/motif from "This is Who You Are" sped-up and possibly in a different key or something, I don't know music. That's some Sondheim $%!# right there.

On 2024-08-23 at 4:35 AM, Lachlan_the_Sane said:

The countermelody might actually be based on some other theme, and also I think it has words while the main melody doesn't,

It's in Voidtongue! I'm bad at decoding audio but the first line clearly ends with "mara" and the third line seems to be "amare[?] jeliira" (jeliira being from the title of a different Voidtongue track, "Yara Jeliira"). Also it sounds like it's only four lines, and then it repeats with the emphasis/stress in different places so it sounds different. Then the Lotus gets another "verse" on her own, and then the instruments (maybe representing the Operator/Drifter?) join in for a final repetition that totally (or almost totally; I can't tell if I'm hearing it or just imagining it) overpowers the TRON synth bit from the very beginning.

I really wish we had official lyrics for these tracks, just to try and puzzle out more Voidtongue. Or at least spell it right.

Given the line about the Lotus trying to drown out the Indifference... I think it's literally a call-and-response. In which case this is some goddamn brilliant musical storytelling.

• Like 1