The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

archon shard loadouts

Meleronan

itd be really neat to get shard loadouts

i mostly play atlas and run 4 purple melee crit + 1yellow cast speed for general gameplay but i want a farming loadout for 3 augment which would need 4 strenght instead

i dont want to build and entire frame and slap 2-3 umbra forma on it just to be able to optimize for a different application of the frame

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Meleronan said:

itd be really neat to get shard loadouts

i mostly play atlas and run 4 purple melee crit + 1yellow cast speed for general gameplay but i want a farming loadout for 3 augment which would need 4 strenght instead

i dont want to build and entire frame and slap 2-3 umbra forma on it just to be able to optimize for a different application of the frame

+1 That's why I don't use 3 most recent shards.

I do not think this change would make the shard system good. Not that I have anything against such an idea, but the system would remain in an awful spot.

There are shard bonuses you do not want when using certain weapons. There are shard bonuses you do not want to use when modding weapons for certain elemental damage. There are shard bonuses useless with certain elemental damage. The rest, on the other hand, has functions locked to a certain warframe build. You are locked to a warframe, warframe build, weapon type and weapon modding. It locks you out of experimenting by a resource cost.

Basically, the whole shard system is designed to hinder changes in builds.

Sure, you can ask for a fixed bonus loadout. That would eliminate the "effort" gateway for veterans. But that would not eliminate the resource-gating standing against variability. And would not be any helpful unless you already have tons of shards just sitting on a bench.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kadlis12 said:

I do not think this change would make the shard system good. Not that I have anything against such an idea, but the system would remain in an awful spot.

There are shard bonuses you do not want when using certain weapons. There are shard bonuses you do not want to use when modding weapons for certain elemental damage. There are shard bonuses useless with certain elemental damage. The rest, on the other hand, has functions locked to a certain warframe build. You are locked to a warframe, warframe build, weapon type and weapon modding. It locks you out of experimenting by a resource cost.

Basically, the whole shard system is designed to hinder changes in builds.

Sure, you can ask for a fixed bonus loadout. That would eliminate the "effort" gateway for veterans. But that would not eliminate the resource-gating standing against variability. And would not be any helpful unless you already have tons of shards just sitting on a bench.

shards are just a bonus and not a nessecety to do any content really

the entire system is just the cherry on top to get the absolute most out of a frame

or are there any that really need it to function? im a bit oblivious to that

maybe im a biased since i mainly play atlas but even without archons id do just fine in any content

like the thing with 4 strength shards absolutely isnt detremental to my experience its just mildly annoying

DE already said they don't want the shards to be a temporary idea with them being more of a permanent idea, but I am still inclined to agree. I have over 20 of each RGY shard even with plenty of frames having them filled out already (probably a hair over half the cast if I had to guess) so I can easily add a second set or two to my favorite frames. But I can also see the argument of DE not doing this if they want you to go through the trouble of creating a second frame for another shard loadout set which I can see people doing even through Umbra forma usage.

But speaking of loadouts, we still don't even have proper functioning vehicle loadouts yet, they still don't have the full loadout properties. So expecting shard loadouts to be a thing before that is yikes to us vehicle enjoyers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Meleronan said:

shards are just a bonus and not a nessecety to do any content really

the entire system is just the cherry on top to get the absolute most out of a frame

or are there any that really need it to function? im a bit oblivious to that

maybe im a biased since i mainly play atlas but even without archons id do just fine in any content

like the thing with 4 strength shards absolutely isnt detremental to my experience its just mildly annoying

Let me be more specific. I did not try to say that you need the shards - quite the contrary: If you have them, there are even situations you want or even have to get rid of them. Or, situations, where they become useless.

Take the incarnon bonus on non-critical hits. If you have a slotted shard increasing your critical chance, you do not want to use such a weapon - or - you ought to get rid of the shard.

Or you slotted shard that adds lightning damage to the primary. That one is a jackpot - you are stuck with the lightning element or its combinations. If you go against a different faction... you need to unslot all shards. That is once again limiting your choices.

Or bonus to shields - that sounds harmless, doesn't it? It is - until you want to try a different, shieldgating build.

Things that work on blast/radiation/toxin/corrosion... which just become useless upon tinkering with your build, are the least offender.

What I said is that the system is awful, restricting variability. Because you cannot play with it freely. And I get why you just mentioned "another loadout". But, in my eyes, the problem should be sorted at its roots, not just patched at the topmost leaves.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kadlis12 said:

Let me be more specific. I did not try to say that you need the shards - quite the contrary: If you have them, there are even situations you want or even have to get rid of them. Or, situations, where they become useless.

Take the incarnon bonus on non-critical hits. If you have a slotted shard increasing your critical chance, you do not want to use such a weapon - or - you ought to get rid of the shard.

Or you slotted shard that adds lightning damage to the primary. That one is a jackpot - you are stuck with the lightning element or its combinations. If you go against a different faction... you need to unslot all shards. That is once again limiting your choices.

Or bonus to shields - that sounds harmless, doesn't it? It is - until you want to try a different, shieldgating build.

Things that work on blast/radiation/toxin/corrosion... which just become useless upon tinkering with your build, are the least offender.

What I said is that the system is awful, restricting variability. Because you cannot play with it freely. And I get why you just mentioned "another loadout". But, in my eyes, the problem should be sorted at its roots, not just patched at the topmost leaves.

thats fair

id be happy with them just removing the cost of swapping them out

45 minutes ago, Numerounius said:

DE already said they don't want the shards to be a temporary idea with them being more of a permanent idea, but I am still inclined to agree. I have over 20 of each RGY shard even with plenty of frames having them filled out already (probably a hair over half the cast if I had to guess) so I can easily add a second set or two to my favorite frames. But I can also see the argument of DE not doing this if they want you to go through the trouble of creating a second frame for another shard loadout set which I can see people doing even through Umbra forma usage.

But speaking of loadouts, we still don't even have proper functioning vehicle loadouts yet, they still don't have the full loadout properties. So expecting shard loadouts to be a thing before that is yikes to us vehicle enjoyers.

needing a second frame just for that is ridicolous

if they hold that opinion theyre just dead wrong

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Meleronan said:

thats fair

id be happy with them just removing the cost of swapping them out

needing a second frame just for that is ridicolous

if they hold that opinion theyre just dead wrong

So...let me offer a slightly different opinion, and how I square this circle.

DE is looking at anyone who is collecting shards with the eyes that their original system required.  That is to say that once a week you have one shard which you are guaranteed to earn, of 20% likelihood that you have the "best" tauforged version.  As such you are looking at each of these things being crazy valuable, and given their relative value (as far a basically being a mod slot or two) you were going to only use shards on the frames that mattered.

Then players freaked out.  First they increased drop chances based upon "pity."  Then you got a second shard which you could buy.  Then you got 5 chances on a mission, 1 bought, and one for an archon fight.  That's up to 7 per week, and 6 can be tauforged.  If you only get 2 shards a week on average, that's 4 actual earned shards every single week.  Somewhere along the way they also introduced new shards that acted more like augments rather than mods...so instead of a pure numerical change you now have to decide between stats and augmented abilities.  This is the basic modding system all over again, and since the augments came into the game people have been begging DE for an augment slot.  

How I square the circle is that this is meant for the old guard.  The people who have played for years, and DE introduced an item penalty to play.  If you want to experiment you're going to need bile, and bile is stupid hard to acquire as the materials used to make it are (relatively) difficult to acquire.  As such the shard system is a penalty for those who want to experiment, and won't just wait for other people to tell them what to build...but it's a cost that the people who have a lot of resources can make them disappear while getting a perceived benefit by being allowed to experiment.  It's basically giving you a free medium beverage with the purchase of a fancy steak dinner...meant to combat the constant bleed of players because they cannot pump out enough content to satiate and thus have to find clever ways of generating engagement through grind rather than new stuff.  The grind...is Warframe.