Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Penta And Split Chamber

Phoenix86

Considering the hard cap of max 5 nades out at any given time...

Considering the extremely high ammo efficiency...

Considering the mod's cost of Split Chamber...

Am i right assuming that this weapon would benefit more from Speed Trigger rather than Split Chamber??

The most efficient way of using Penta is detonating after every shot so you can detonate the grenade right when it's in the right spot. Detonating doesn't affect speed in any way, you can detonate whenever without it interrupting anything.

Split Chamber works very well in Penta. Just like any other weapon, it's a staple mod along with serration.

EDIT: even if you want to use the weapon to lay 5 grenades before detonating, Split Chamber (almost) halves the amount of shots you need to shoot before reaching that 5 grenades.

Edited by Naftal

Compare it this way : Does it tkae less time to shoot five time with speed trigger or 3 times without it. I dont have the numbers by hand but the calculation should be pretty easy.

Assuming a fair 1sec/nade:

with a 50% Speed Trigger you would need 2.5sec to shot 5 nades

with a 90% Split Chamber you would need 3sec to shot 5 nades (assuming you proc it both times)

And considering Split Chamber's mod cost... Speed Trigger defenetely wins

@ Naftal: you could... but if i have to detonate after every single nade i would use the Ogris :p

Edited by Phoenix86

@ Naftal: you could... but if i have to detonate after every single nade i would use the Ogris :p

But Penta is much faster than Ogris.

If you detonate after every shot, you're still shooting them at the same speed and detonate as much grenades as you do as detonating after 5 grenades. Plus you'll be more efficient because you can detonate the grenade right where you want it to explode.

Also, I'm using both the speed trigger and split chamber.

Edited by Naftal

When you detonate after every shot as I do (since anything else makes little sense imho) then split chamber is a 90% chance to have twice the explosion damage. I just like to use both Speed Trigger and Split Chamber since I drop puncture and ammo mods, which aren't of much use on the penta.

If you detonate after every shot, you're still shooting them at the same speed and detonate as much grenades as you do as detonating after 5 grenades. Plus you'll be more efficient because you can detonate the grenade right where you want it to explode.

That assumes that people always play in one way, some people just want to have fun with the weapon as a blanket explosion gun

And Ogris deals 500 dmg vs Penta's 350 ;)

Anyway, well that depends on your playstyle i suppose...

i would use a weapon like Penta for "defending"... like "i fill one spot with nades, wait for the swarm, KABOOM!" rinse & repeat

i find it a defensive weapon, not an offensive one

I digress with those who say split chamber is a staple mod in it. Certainly it's a fair argument to say that most of the time it's shoot once and detonate, but personally I enjoy diversity in play. Yes a multishot proc is going to mean double damage for a single click, but I can also with speed trigger get off both of those shots at approximately the same rate and adjust to cover more ground with them. In the end it's a preference thing really, which is refreshing in the current state of the mod system.

Personally I love using the thing like a long range mortar, so much fun ^.^

I'm not for Split Chamber on Penta. I'm more of a "time-it-right" user, so I use elemental mods and fast hands. Basically, my Penta has replaced Torid in such that my Penta has Gas and Magnetic. The 10% status is enough for me to create mini gas pockets. My other load out has Radiation and Viral for crowd control, giving me a mini-Chaos if the enemies survive the blast.

It depends on your usage of the gun.

a. If you like to set up "minefields" and ambush enemies, Split Chamber is a liability because it interferes with how many "mines" you can have active at once.

b. If you like to use it as a regular 'nade launcher, Split Chamber helps a lot because it makes each 'nade deal double the damage.

I use Split Chamber on mine and normaly do 3500+ (2000+1500) Damage per shot not being fully modded. I dont like making mine fields with the grenades and usualy aim to hit enemies from above with it.
On stages with high sealings like Void Defense i shoot one high above enemies and then another down near the grown so both shots meet at the same time then detonate.

You know what I like about this. Had this been another weapon, Split chamber is a no brainer. But depending on your playstyle, this can go either way.

I like how the Penta is balanced in such a way whereby modding it can be so variable. I've seen split chamber + speed trigger builds. Some say, no, go speed trigger and fast hand, some even debate that a speed trigger is not necessary and its better to go full fat on damage. This is awesome!

Assuming a fair 1sec/nade:

with a 50% Speed Trigger you would need 2.5sec to shot 5 nades

with a 90% Split Chamber you would need 3sec to shot 5 nades (assuming you proc it both times)

And considering Split Chamber's mod cost... Speed Trigger defenetely wins

This is true; however, Split chamber means that you can lay a trap of 4 bombs TWICE without reloading. It solves the capacity problem to an extent.