Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Here's A Thought - Solution To Homeless Infested

TunaMayo

I have heard a few complaints that there is nowhere to reliably farm infested despite the invasion system, so I thought of something that might fit both criteria.

What if the Orokin Derelict was no longer key-gated and instead was a mobile entity on the star map. So like any other Planet, you could click on it and attempt any of it's nodes to reliably farm infested. You could get rid of all Orokin Derelict keys (which are little more than a small resource sink) other than assassinate. Therefore you have a place where you can regularly find infested, and farm Golem navs to access the boss node of the Derelict sector.

But, the Orokin Derelict is constantly moving within the solar system, so one hour it might be next to pluto, the next it might be next to mars, due to it being a moving ship graveyard and the infestation spreads from the Derelict. This means that the Derelict sector constantly moves round the Solar System "sprinkling" infestation invasion nodes around the solar system.

This way you solve the issue of the infestation not having a home, whilst keeping in line with the idea that DE have with the invasion system. As a side bonus, you get rid of the silly key-wall for Orokin Derelict (other than Lephantis) and allows you to predict where the infestation are going to strike from based on the Derelict sector's position at the time.

A potential idea that was brought up is that perhaps the we as a community attack the Derelict sector, the more you stem the flow of infested. So if people are regularly attacking/farming the Derelict sector one morning, there might be sporadic infestation invasions. But, should we as a community disregard the Derelict sector, infestation invasions might start to crop up a lot more frequently and aggressively. This could obviously be confined to attacking the Derelict boss, lephantis, or to Derelict nodes in general.

Well, that's the jist of the idea. Approve or Disapprove? 

Something like this needs to happen, 

I approve, but if were able to predict the ship's path wouldn't that mean the enemies would to? Hate to say this, but I think the Grineer, and Corpus would have figured this out, and stemmed it. I don't think we should be able to predict where its striking. It should still be random because if we know it. Usually the other two factions know it as well. Sometimes even they know waaay more than us even at times.

Just saying.

Well the idea would be that you don't know where the derelict sector is goong to next, only where its current position is.

So if it is next to pluto at that time, the infestation is most probably going to spread from pluto, and maybe neighbouring planets.

You might not know where it will move to next, but it gives you an idea where the invasions might start.

Also I was under the premise that the infestation were basically numberless, so the most we can do is stem the flow. I mentioned that "stemming the flow" could be restricted to killing lwphantis, as he might be the hive mind (to fit with lore I guess).

Well I did mention that it was a Derelict sector, a ship graveyard. So in an effort to please the many, how about it is not restricted to Orokin Derelict?

You could click on the Derelict Sector and each mission/node would show you if the node was an Orokin, Corpus or Grineer infested ship, in the same way normal nodes do now. This way you could have all infested tile-sets available in the Derelict sector?

Edited this in the OP

Just let them run rampant everywhere. That's what society lets them do. Might as well let it happen in the gaming world to.

This event/mission type isn't even good. Just let it be over already.

At least let them have the somewhat higher tier planets.

Edited by IIPREDATORII

Approve.

Since I've proposed something like it on some of the other "bring the Infested back"-threads days ago...

Sure, the invasions still need to be tweaked in terms of how often they appear, how many systems are involved and how many nodes have to be cleared out and how many missions it takes to do so...

But another thing is the Battlepay that needs to be changed in someway too... Because if they keep up the pace of throwing rare resources/potatoes at us, sooner or later people won't care about "another Outbreak" anymore. They won't feel motivated enough to do it, because we feel oversaturated.

There should be a greater reward that is revealed once the last node is cleared of the Infestation, or tiered Battlepay.

Edited by MeduSalem

I disagree with the OP, few reasons

1. All of mars was infested today, every node, yesterday it was earth, there are only so many planets so it is going in rotation anyways

2. Orokin derelict is fine where its at its not like its difficult to go there...i have over 500 nav coords just sitting around

3. I am glad the farming of xini is gone, and is basically being moved around....i have enough nano spores already...300k+

4. The way it is now its not the same thing every single day, its different, its variable, its dynamic, its not xini xini xini xini

5. I wouldnt like players attacking a mobile derelict decreasing invasion chances, i want invasions, i want a mobile "xini", i dont want to be hindered by players blocking me

6. I actually have a reason to do other maps now

7. not directly your post but still funny, people complain of grindiness, then complain when they cant do xini all day....

8. In relation to 7, the one truth of any forums, Complaints always outshine praise, because if they are enjoying the game they have no need to come and post on the forums unless looking for a trade or update news.

1. All of mars was infested today, every node, yesterday it was earth, there are only so many planets so it is going in rotation anyways

2. Orokin derelict is fine where its at its not like its difficult to go there...i have over 500 nav coords just sitting around

3. I am glad the farming of xini is gone, and is basically being moved around....i have enough nano spores already...300k+

4. The way it is now its not the same thing every single day, its different, its variable, its dynamic, its not xini xini xini xini

5. I wouldnt like players attacking a mobile derelict decreasing invasion chances, i want invasions, i want a mobile "xini", i dont want to be hindered by players blocking me

6. I actually have a reason to do other maps now

7. not directly your post but still funny, people complain of grindiness, then complain when they cant do xini all day....

8. In relation to 7, the one truth of any forums, Complaints always outshine praise, because if they are enjoying the game they have no need to come and post on the forums unless looking for a trade or update news.

You've made some good points, but it's not like everybody who wants at least one static infested planet/sector back is just all for Cyath/Xini. Personally I didn't sit there and grind all day only on two nodes, it's just boring as hell.

It's about the fun to know if you want to play a mission against infested there's always a place to go with drop-in-drop-out and not a gameplay/session-breaking Key-system which is just tedious as hell, which is expensive to maintain for new players and doesn't help to waste resources for players that have them, because as you stated yourself, you've like 500 Nav coordinates and 300k+ Nanospores, which I've too. Also I feel annoyed that I've to manually buy the keys and then it takes 1 minute to craft another Key, which is just another cooldown... Imagine that for your 500 Coordinates.. Like 500+ minutes wasted to craft keys alone. And 2 hours for every single Lephantis which you in fact never give a damn about anymore once you've Nekros or scanned him, because people don't feel like waiting another 2 hours to do him again. Also the Derelicts don't have any varying levels of difficulty yet, so one can't go there with lowlevel equipment, and if you've highlevel you feel bored. With the Vaults being in there it's even more tedious to get a squad together to actually do it efficiently.

Also you may be right about how attacking the mobile derelict is decrasing invasion chances, it shouldn't prevent them, but not having at least one static place to play against infested is also hindering some of the players. If not, they wouldn't want at least one planet back. It's hindering that you've to wait for another 12-36 hours on RNG™ to eventually spawn another Outbreak, which in fact is just 5min/waves-style rushing and with the help of NPCs too, which doesn't feel the same anymore. Also if you've bad luck and can't play all day long you may constantly miss out on the Invasions or just have to play what's left over once the nodes with good Battlepay are gone. Making them last longer just creates another problem with people starting to complain about how it takes forever to complete them.

Edited by MeduSalem

I could support this topic, I would make the recommendation however that these derelicts that are on the map lack the Orokin Vaults to still give weight to the lost derelicts.

On moving sectors with regular ships instead of the Derelicts there could be implemented something similiar, also a room with Rare mods and stuff like it, so they make up for whatever the Derelicts have to offer.

Edited by MeduSalem

Here's what they should do with the keys.

Make so you can buy a permanent key for each mission. Make those keys cost like 30 Navigation coordinates including the Boss key which should be 30 Golem coordinates.

Make so you can access any mission from the normal map and start hosting. You'll still need a key to play the map and anyone with a key can join.

Because throwing out invites all the bloody time for doing a normal mission on the Derelict is a big chore and I'd rather just go solo every single time.

I still want an infested planet back because Derelict is high level. I want some low level Infested survival mission.

Yep, like most everyone here I have to agree with this idea. However, I'd also like to suggest my own in addition to all this. The infested need some new units to go with this as well as their own fully infested and converted ship. The infected versions of these tile sets are nice and all, but they really feel like a good flame thrower team could purge these tile sets. We need a liveing ship!

Combine some of the better room types from the Grineer and Corpus. I'm talking some of the larger and more spacious room sets that they have produced, but are still able to be navigated with out wall running mechanics so we don't give the AI programming staff and ulcer. Take those room sets and reskin them in a more bio sense. We've seen this kind of work already with Lephantis already. Corpus tech could also be included in a more corrupted way as well. Cameras as eye nodes and lazer doors as bone spear traps.

I also have to point out that the infested don't have a single ranged unit. I find this a lot less fair for them and we've seen from Lephantis that they have some capability to do ranged combat in some manner or another. I imagine that would be a new heavy unit for them. The infested could really use some new bosses as well. The ones we do have are mostly just over grown versions of regular units. We don't even see a real representation of even half the units/bosses in the game with them. We've had the units as bosses for long enough and even Golem has gone on vacation at this point. Where's the heavy gunner/heavy gineer unit bosses? Where's the semi intelligent bosses like what Golem alluded to?

Nobody was forcing you to play Xini  (and frankly, it's still the best XP/minute)

Now, we are being forced to play, for us, much less enjoyable content (oh yay, another 5 round defense with everyone leaving for battlepay -_-).

See the difference?

Nobody was forcing you to play Xini  (and frankly, it's still the best XP/minute)

Now, we are being forced to play, for us, much less enjoyable content (oh yay, another 5 round defense with everyone leaving for battlepay -_-).

See the difference?

I would also like to point out that the combination of the tile set and infested made for a far less painful way to level your melee weapons as well. With multihit weapons, you could max your base damages, reach, and attack speed to effectively meat grind your way through to about wave 8-10. With non multihit weapons, the amount of actual viable targets that you could pick off made the same build basis valid as well. Now you have to deal with shields and such that the infested never had.

I like the OP's simple effectiveness. There could be a lore around that, and I have an idea to improve this.

* Each system will have an Orokin Gateway (like the Conclaves), with the type of the gameplay displayed (on hover)

* You will have to have a key, but it's permanent, only it takes far more resources to craft

* The tileset can be anything (grineer/corpus/derelict)

* Difficulty will be also tied to the actual system

* On the downside, more farmers enters the void, the higher the chance of an infested outbreak in the system.

* If an outbreak happens, the Gateway will be closed (too high infestation level), and the players need to clean the system from infested in order to get back to the void.

While the Derelict maps are giving special drops, this system will maintain the balance. Too much farming leads to outbreaks, and the urge to cleaning up also affects players, while they want to move back to the void to get specialities, or they simply need to play on clean levels against the two "normal" factions. This also can be a base for some story arcs, where, for example the grineer or corpus becoming angry for the outbreaks and will try something.

Original was a lot similar to tmtke's (posted at the same minute)

I like everything suggested, but I feel like playing lore's advocate here to the derelict suggestion...

I don't think the derelicts will make it to a sector like the rest, at least not in the same sense. The function of the nav coordinates is to locate a lost ship now derelict... No ship graveyard or mass of derelicts are floating about together, so them being their own sector seems unlikely. On the other hand, I think derelicts could be done instead by placing one, maybe two, derelicts in each current system. In this way every system has a level-appropriate derelict to fight infested on and to have a starting point for infestation spread. Now I'm sorry but there just can't be one of each mission type per sector so lowbies might have to wait before they can do that 20-22 ODD.

Anyway, still love the idea. I just think OD needs to maintain the aspect of lost ship located, not a mass of them. (otherwise no need to make so many OD coord keys)

I like tmtke's thinking. Just make the gateway stay OPEN, but increase further in level the more the infestation continues. After all, someone has to go all Jeager on them and guard the breaching point. :)

Edited by AmmoRejected

I like the OP's simple effectiveness. There could be a lore around that, and I have an idea to improve this.

* Each system will have an Orokin Gateway (like the Conclaves), with the type of the gameplay displayed (on hover)

* You will have to have a key, but it's permanent, only it takes far more resources to craft

* The tileset can be anything (grineer/corpus/derelict)

* Difficulty will be also tied to the actual system

* On the downside, more farmers enters the void, the higher the chance of an infested outbreak in the system.

* If an outbreak happens, the Gateway will be closed (too high infestation level), and the players need to clean the system from infested in order to get back to the void.

While the Derelict maps are giving special drops, this system will maintain the balance. Too much farming leads to outbreaks, and the urge to cleaning up also affects players, while they want to move back to the void to get specialities, or they simply need to play on clean levels against the two "normal" factions. This also can be a base for some story arcs, where, for example the grineer or corpus becoming angry for the outbreaks and will try something.

I like the gateways idea, and that if the Infestation is too great in the system, the gateway closes. This forces us to deal with the infestation rather than outright ignoring it and just going to the Derelict Sector.

Perhaps we could combine a couple of ideas. So the more you farm regular missions in the Derelict Void, the higher chance of infestation invasion near that planet. But, you can counter this by attacking lephantis as he/she/it is the hive mind, so attacking lephantis reduces the chance. Naturally as OD assassinate missions take time to craft, the system will be biased in favour of the Infestation regularly invading planets.

But I'm not sure about the keys idea. It just seems like keys for keys sake, like the key for the Clan Dojo. 

I do honestly like the idea that the Derelict Sector's level be tied to the planet it is near at the time. The only reason I haven't put it in the OP yet is that I know that if implemented, there would be similar complaints as with the current alert system. "I want to play infested, but they are at pluto whenever I am online" for example.

Original was a lot similar to tmtke's (posted at the same minute)

I like everything suggested, but I feel like playing lore's advocate here to the derelict suggestion...

I don't think the derelicts will make it to a sector like the rest, at least not in the same sense. The function of the nav coordinates is to locate a lost ship now derelict... No ship graveyard or mass of derelicts are floating about together, so them being their own sector seems unlikely. On the other hand, I think derelicts could be done instead by placing one, maybe two, derelicts in each current system. In this way every system has a level-appropriate derelict to fight infested on and to have a starting point for infestation spread. Now I'm sorry but there just can't be one of each mission type per sector so lowbies might have to wait before they can do that 20-22 ODD.

Anyway, still love the idea. I just think OD needs to maintain the aspect of lost ship located, not a mass of them. (otherwise no need to make so many OD coord keys)

I like tmtke's thinking. Just make the gateway stay OPEN, but increase further in level the more the infestation continues. After all, someone has to go all Jeager on them and guard the breaching point. :)

Well, the game is beta and Orokin Derelict's were an idea by DE nothing more.

Currently, not everyone is 100% keen on the way they work right now. It's all subject to change. We have already seen that the Infested "infest" more than just Orokin ships, and whose to say the corpus and grineer haven't been around for generations? For all we know the infested grineer and corpus vessels could be just as derelict as the Orokin Vessels.

Also, the keys are little more than a resource well and waste of time. They don't have to remain and can be scrapped. OD assassinate key can remain however.

Everyone can see the huge mass of infestation on the move around the system, hence no need for keys to find the Derelict Sector. The theory could be that such a mass of infestation is too much for any one faction to attempt to clear. Only the Tenno are foolish, brave or strong enough to venture into the Sector.

If you are so keen on lore, seeing as there currently is none, we can make up our own. Assuming that Lephantis is the hive mind, and that the infestation can take many forms (infested/warframes etc), whose to say that once taken over by the infestation that the ships cannot be controlled by Lephantis? Then it would make sense that you would find all infested vessels in one location as Lephantis draws them all near.

Wow..  Tuna, you just solved several issues in one fell swoop.  Obviously you can add more as per the suggestions in the thread, but your suggestion would fix a lot of things that are making people unhappy.

There are plenty of fantastic ideas to add to the OP, I just want to keep it as simple as I can for now so I don't get too many "OMG wall of text" posts.

Also the post was just to get the general idea out there. If it gets some momentum then more detail can be added.