Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] The Road To Redemption

Kalenath

New Old Kin

“What do I call you?” Alicia asked as she stared at Olim. “I mean…”

He couldn’t really blame her. He hoped that the warframe he was examining would hide the circuitry that blazed across his skin. It was...disconcerting to see code under his skin. But he did remember that it was a mark of the Master of the Cyberlancers.

“Alicia.” Olim chided. “Since when do you do politically correct?” He asked with a laugh. “You know my name.”

But his wide grin was infectious and both Alicia and Mori cracked grins. Will just shook his head, but Olim knew he was fighting mirth as well. He could feel… Olim snarled and dampened his senses. They were far, far sharper than they had been. The AIs had not been idle in their long reclusion, they had devised significant upgrades to Cyberlancer systems. He could literally count the dirt molecules on the floor nearby. Let alone, the minute muscle twitches that seeped past Will’s ironclad control of his features.

“Olim?” Alicia asked, worried. “You okay?”

“I need to be very careful, Alicia.” Olim said, shaking his head. “The sensor upgrades are… impressive. I must respect others’ privacy.” He said as much to himself as to the others. “This is going to take some time to get used to. As heightened as my senses were when I activated my dormant abilities to stop the virus that had control of you, this is a couple of thousand percent more refined.”

“We had time to refine things.” No one jumped as Nia’s voice came from nowhere. This time anyway. “And you are stalling.”

“Yes, mother.” Olim said as snickers came from all around. “I do not like your plan, but… I cannot disagree with it.”

The AIs had determined to destroy the access lift that Olim and his companions had used to get into the facility. It was the only one left intact. With that gone, there was only one way in and out of the facility.

“The gates are not difficult, Olim.” Alicia said gently as she stepped into her warframe. It had been carefully shut down and just as carefully reactivated before Alicia began her own checks. No one really expected to find anything wrong, but sloppy Tenno did not live long. The Tenno with Olim had lived a very long time. “Just a step and you are elsewhere.”

That is not what I am worried about.” Olim said with a sigh as he stepped into his own warframe. Will and Mori had already begun arming themselves, their warframes situated. “One does not simply pop into Avalon, unannounced.” He shuddered a bit. “And Riana…”

“Don’t worry about me, big brother.” Riana said from her mech nearby. “I have accepted this path. Our family knows it’s duty.”

“I…” Olim started to speak and shut his mouth as his warframe powered up. He had tried every argument he could think of, but every argument, the AIs and Riana had patiently –and then not so patiently- demolished. He sighed as his systems all showed green. “I don’t want this. Risking myself is bad enough.”

“Olim, we have been over this.” Riana said a bit sharply. Not that anyone blamed her. Olim had been…a bit stubborn. “Do I need to get a clue by four again?” Everyone else laughed as Olim raised his hands in surrender at the AI’s stern warning. “Good. Are you ready?” Her voice was suddenly gentle.

“As ready as I am going to be, sister.” Olim said sadly, then stiffened as his warframe displays suddenly fuzzed.

Easy. Riana’s voice came to his mind just like the Lotus’. Stood to reason. Both were AIs. Final connections established. We are live. A wordless caress soothed his jangling nerves. I won’t let anything happen to you, brother. Riana said gently. After all, if anything does, it happens to me too.

Olim shuddered a bit at that. Having an AI living in his mind would take some getting used to. Every Master of Cyberlancers had partnered with an AI. It simply made sense. The Tenno’s physical protection and the AI’s deep knowledge made for an exceedingly powerful combination. He still kind of hoped to find a safe place for her after this, but Riana was having none of it.

“We discussed this.” Riana said over an open line so the other Tenno could hear her ire. “Don’t even try to weasel out of this, Olim. You need me.”

“I… yes, I do.” Olim agreed sourly. She had at her disposal centuries worth of accumulated knowledge of Cyberlancers. Tactics, historical analysis, plans, all kinds of priceless information. And her sole price had been to partner with him. The other AIs had questioned her thoroughly, but in the end, they had decided that she was the best choice. Lincoln was better choice to guard, even though he and Olim would never like one another, Riana was more flexible. “I don’t like it, mind you. And I still think popping in to see the Empress unannounced is a bad idea.”

“You are not.” Nia said calmly. Olim jerked as the mech that had gone still when Riana shifted into the systems of his warframe turned a bit to nod to Mori who nodded back. The Saryn’s posture was…smug? “Unannounced that is.”

“What?” Olim and Riana both exclaimed as one. They shared a mental chuckle, but Olim spoke. “What do you mean?”

“I do have a few, very few links to the outside, Olim.” Nia said softly. “I couldn’t even tell Riana about them. But I knew what happened to you when it did. After… I heard bits and pieces. The contact has been irregular, but I did maintain the link. I had permission.” She said as Riana started to protest on and non-vocal level. “We are loyal to Orokin. We have known that Avalon survived for some time. But I was sworn to keep that knowledge close.”

“So… what?” Olim asked, stunned. Will, Alicia and Mori all waited in silence.

“Riana is not just your sister, Olim.” Nia said calmly. “She is also our ambassador to the Empress.” Riana sputtered and Olim remained silent as she spoke.

“Are you out of your mind?” Olim saw Alicia and Will jerk a bit as Riana’s angry voice came from his warframe. “I am no ambassador!” Mori didn’t flinch, Olim realized.

“And Olim was no Cyberlancer when this whole mess started.” Nia said calmly. “Your orders are simple. Keep your brother alive and sane.” Riana made a noise of confusion and Nia had a smile in her voice. “I know, I know, I give you the hard jobs.” The smile in her tone faded as she continued. “Riana, you will be alone. Olim and his kin will help you, but we cannot. Your arguments were well thought out, but we cannot show ourselves. There are too many variables, too many unknown enemies.”

“I know.” Riana sounded nearly in tears and Olim sent a wordless caress to her that she returned with gratitude. “The portal will close.”

“And stay that way.” Nia said sadly. “My…links will be our only connection to the outside world. Until and unless this Long Night passes… We will remain apart.”

“Then I will do my part to help it pass.” Olim said quietly as Riana withdrew a bit. Alicia and Will nodded their agreement. “And I give you my word, mother, that I will protect my little sister to the fullest extent of my abilities.”

“I would expect no less.” Nia said quietly. “Are you ready?” Olim took a deep breath, checking to make sure his weapons were on safe and slung. Announced or not, one did not arrive to meet an Empress with live weapons. Not after what had happened to the last Emperor. Mori, Alicia and Will also did the same and Olim could feel Riana’s senses checking each weapon in turn.

Stop that. Olim said sharply in his mind. We need to show trust or no one will trust us.

“I apologize.” Riana said aloud in a small voice. “I didn’t mean to be distrustful. I just…”

“This is all new.” Alica said gently. “It’s okay, Riana. We understand. Just…um… don’t expect the Royal Guard to be so understanding.” A gulp sounded and Alicia nodded. “We don’t mind so much if you ask.”

“I understand.” Riana said with a sigh. “So much to learn.” Her voice turned eager. “Shall we?”

“Before we go.” Olim said slowly. “This place is a secret beyond all secrets, a treasure and wonder beyond any that most can imagine. It must remain secret, inviolate. You have all given your words, now I give mine.” He was speaking both aloud and in his mind to the AIs. “I will speak to none but the Empress of your Sanctuary. The access we used and the codes we used will no longer function. But only true silence can protect this place. I ask once more. Do you give it of your own free wills, Mori, Alicia, Will?” All three nodded and Olim nodded as well. “So be it.” Packets of code flew from his hand to seek each other warframe. Each passed right through the defenses of said warframes to the neural linkages that made each one work. They bound to specific paths of memory and fused there. Those packets would block the ability to speak of the Sanctuary. “Done. Let’s go.”

None of the others spoke as they walked from the room to another that was bare except for a golden oval on the floor. All four warframes took position in the oval. Only then did Olim speak.

“The Long Night will pass. Humanity will recover. We will remember our oaths to our friends and kin.” He crossed his arms ceremonially and bowed his head. “Fare thee well, my kin.”

A flash of gold and…

Olim stared around as the room came into focus. It was huge, this room. And it was packed! Tenno in Prime warframes stood around the oval, weapons ready, but they lowered them at some unheard signal. Humans in golden attire stood behind the Tenno, watching. Olim’s eyes and sensors were drawn to one side where two women –one older with a glowing crown on her head, one younger- in gowns stood on a raised platform looking at them. Olim nodded to them.

“Empress Eliza, Princess Michelle.” He said calmly. “I am Olim, Master of Cyberlancers. I serve Orokin.”

“Well met, Master Olim.” Empress Eliza of Orokin said with a smile. “You have a flair for the dramatic.” She said dryly.

“I don’t know about that, Empress.” Olim said modestly, but then paused as a hint of impatience came from within him. “I beg to present Riana, my sister. Born of my mother, but slain with her.” A gasp came from around the room as a holo emitter that had been attached to his armor activated. A transparent golden form appeared nearby. Riana wore Tenno robes, but half her face was metal denoting her status as part AI.

“Slain?” Eliza said softly. “Ah, I see.” Her face turned sad. “You have…?” She prompted Riana.

“I am energy form. I have bonded with my brother.” Riana said, bowing for the neck as he had. “He will need help. My loyalty is to my family and to Orokin.”

“In that order I assume.” Empress Eliza said mildly. Riana bowed from the neck again. “Well, we can hope that your loyalties are not tested, Riana. Well met.” Eliza said with a nod. “The portal is closed?”

“Sealed from the other side, Empress Eliza.” Riana said sadly. “They cannot…” She bowed her head in grief. “The probabilities do not favor them emerging until and unless the Long Night has passed.”

“But you have come.” The Empress said, her tone thoughtful. Her face gentled. “And you are alone.”

“I have my brother, Empress Eliza.” Riana said quietly. “He will need…help.” She said with a grin curving the flesh half her holographic face. At that, Eliza barked a laugh and most of the beings with visible faces had smiles.

“I do not doubt that.” Eliza said with a nod. “I bid you welcome, Riana, daughter of Nia and Jackson.” Riana’s holographic eyes went wide, but Eliza just smiled. “We Empresses have our ways. You are as welcome as your brother, not that you two could be separated now. But do not take our welcome for granted. We are polite, but cautious.” She said in a tone of warning.

“I do not.” Riana said, bowing her head again. “I am not Tenno, but my brother is. His oaths are mine. I serve.”

The Empress smiled and nodded. The Royal Guard who had been waiting dispersed and there were other Tenno who had been just outside the ring of Royal Guard. Karl in his Rhino warframe stood with Two in her Banshee and another Tenno who wore no warframe.

“Ric!” Alicia said with joy as her faceplate retracted. “How you doing?”

“I am better.” The male Tenno engineer replied. “But someone else wants to talk to you too.” Alicia paused and then staggered as another form appeared beside Ric, having been hidden by the crowd. She looked, in form, much like Alicia, but that was understandable. The female Tenno was staggering, but the small dark haired human woman who stood beside her was helping her to stand.

“R…Raven?”

“Hello Alicia.” Raven’s voice came from a golden box on her throat. “Did you really think I would just sit around and wait for you to reappear? They work fast here. Less than a day after the last Corpus implants were removed, I woke up here.” She was tottering on legs that had supports around them, but she wore no warframe and Olim could not see any other tech but Orokin on her person. “The docs here say they can regen my body completely, but it will take some time.”

“I…” Alicia swallowed hard, tears starting to fall. She turned to the Empress and bowed formally. “I… I thank you.”

“I hope you keep that attitude.” Eliza responded with a grin. “Your sister lost little of her political acumen in her long sleep.”

Raven.” Alicia said with a groan. “You didn’t.”

“Hey.” Raven said with a grin that did not –quite- mesh with her words. “I am what I am, Alicia. And I do serve. Now more than ever, we will need all kinds. But my oath to Karl Sensei stands.” She nodded to Karl. “He has been…adjusting my views on what I should and should not complain about. Survival is more important now than minor quibbles.” She said, her eyes suddenly sad. “Someday, we will be able to have long winded political discourses on small aspects of the law. Until that day, I am Tenno. When I am healed, I will serve the clan and Orokin.” She stepped forward and embraced Alicia. “I am glad you made it, sister.”

“Raven is loyal.” Empress Eliza said with a nod. “Your whole clan is loyal, Karl.” Karl bowed to her and then her eyes lit on Olim who moved a bit apart. “You have something to say, Master Olim?”

“If I may, Empress…” Olim said softly. “I need to correct an error.” She waved to him and he nodded. He turned to Karl and bowed his head. “Brother to brother, yours in life and death.” His words silenced the hall. Karl looked at him and Olim sighed. “I am not perfect, Karl. I serve, but I… I find that even with Riana, I do not wish us to be alone. If you can take my oath, Karl Sensei.” A wordless affirmative, a joyous one, came from Riana.

“Both of you?” Karl asked quietly. Riana’s holo appeared beside Olim and she nodded.

“Sister to brother.” Riana said formally. “Yours in life and death.”

“Brother to brother…and sister.” Karl said, amusement sounding in his deep voice. “Yours in life and death.”

“Well…” Eliza said into the deep silence that fell when Karl finished speaking. “What now, Master Olim?”

“Now, Empress Eliza?” Olim asked as Riana’s holo vanished and he moved to stand by Karl who nodded. “I will train Cyberlancers as I find those with the gift. It was rare even in the height of Orokin, but desperation will prove a good teacher I believe. I will keep the secrets I must and I will defend Orokin from all enemies who threaten it.”

“Indeed.” Karl said firmly as Olim stopped speaking. “We have a long road ahead. We have many enemies who wish to see us fail. But we have a purpose, all of us. Tenno, human and AI.” Eliza nodded soberly.

“Let this be the first step then.” The Empress of Orokin said just as firmly. “What happened was awful. But without hope of redemption… who are any of us? We all failed.” Eliza said sadly. “We all failed so badly, and we lost so much.”

“Then from now until we either succeed or fall…” Olim said in a quiet voice that carried. “Let us walk this road together. This road to redemption. Of Orokin and the Tenno.” He and Karl, indeed, all of the Tenno present, Royal Guard and not, bowed their heads in unison to the Empress of Orokin and she bowed her head as well. In memory and in promise.

“That said?” Eliza said with a smile. “Let’s us begin to walk that road. Together.”

The small room was dark, both with menace and lack of light. The only light came from a golden holo of a woman. Nia.

“I know you can hear me.” Nia’s voice was calm, but held menace. “You will leave them alone. They had no part in what happened at the celebration. Olim nearly died trying to stop it! He doesn’t remember that, thank the ancestors. What did you do? You ran.

The blackness was her only response and Nia snarled.

“You will leave Olim and Riana alone.” Nia’s voice might have frozen a tsunami in its tracks. A smart one anyway. “If I hear you have attacked them, I will respond in kind. There is nowhere you can run. Nowhere you can hide that I cannot find you, cannot reach you. You are mighty, but I can kill you permanently. Make no mistake about that.”

The darkness seemed to recoil and Nia pressed her advantage.

“You know what actually happened.” She snapped. “I know what actually happened whether you want to admit it or not. You did not help, you fled. You will not target Olim. He is needed. Unless you want everyone in the system to face Sentients without protections. Again.” She said with a growl worthy of an enraged mama bear. “It didn’t work out so well for you last time, did it?” She asked snidely.

“He has…” The voice was male and dark as night.

Shut it!” Nia cut him off. “You know what is happening and so do I! Go ahead, push me! I may die here, but so will you!

“We will need him. Agreed.” The dark voice said softly. “But I make no promises.”

“I only make one, kinslayer.” Nia snapped. “Touch my kids and you die for real!” With that, her presence was gone from the well hidden redoubt.

“Well…” The Stalker said as he rose from his sieza in a shadowed corner even gloomier than the rest. “Things just got… interesting.”

20 story posts per thread is my usual limit. We will see Olim and Riana again, never fear. Karl's clan will be VERY busy in the future.

And a cyberwarfare mage Frost Prime with an AI along for the ride? What is not to love?

Edited by Kalenath

The relation beetwen Olim and Riana reminds me of the symbionts or cybrans in Supreme Commander franchise. But there, the full extent of the mutualism was never fully explained to me. Looks like the line beetween cybrans and AI was non-existent, unlike Olim and Riana

I HIGHLY doubt she has time.

Even if she did, these are fanfictions. DE OWNS them as soon as I put them up here.  If they use any of my stuff, I would be very flattered, but they have professional writers on staff.

If they DID offer me a job? I would accept. But there is a HUGE difference between writing fanfictions for fun and writing actual game related lore and story for a deadline.

I HIGHLY doubt she has time.

Even if she did, these are fanfictions. DE OWNS them as soon as I put them up here.  If they use any of my stuff, I would be very flattered, but they have professional writers on staff.

If they DID offer me a job? I would accept. But there is a HUGE difference between writing fanfictions for fun and writing actual game related lore and story for a deadline.

I'm sure you'd do just fine :p

After all, you've got your fanbase backing you up.