Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An Opinion On Why The Brakk Nerf Was Bad And Why It Is Still Bad

JeyJ13

I am Starting to get &!$$ed by seeing people complain about a nerf which was needed to an way too strong gun.... this game is not fun when you use a gun that one or two shots even the most powerful enemies

I don't think you actually read it, because it isn't a complaint exactly.

Is this still a thing?

I'm not sure you understand the point I am actually trying to get across.

I don't notice any damage differences.

Brakk damage shifted more towards impact instead of being (what I think was) straight 80s(although, that was probably my damage mod). It lost some of its puncture (perfectly logical), some of its slash (don't know why it is actually still as high as it is), and gained impact (again, makes sense). I think overall it may have gained a bit through the impact, and with the original Damage 2.0 resistance tables, impact wasn't as useful for a multipurpose weapon with a singular strong damage type. Now, I think with the 11.5 update, the Brakk's impact damage is way more effective.

I am by no means a master communicator, but some people understood the real point. My real feelings about the Brakk did not come up until later posts and they still don't matter! 2nd poster picked one small set of words (if he read it) and responded based on that. This is not new, either. People see "Brakk" and immediately go on how it is still "too OP" and how horrible I am that I played 100+ missions to get it. The fact that the gut response to the Brakk is complaining in either direction could be expanded upon in another thread.

This is not the place for it.

As I said before, if you want to make a point, just make it. Don't go all over the place and then be surprised when someone else disagrees with some of the other stuff that you brought in while making your point. Expressing your view on whether the Brakk nerf was correctly done as part of the leadup to your "main point" was totally unnecessary.

Not to say that people would not have chimed in with offtopic comments anyway, but then, it would have genuinely been off-topic. In this case, it no longer is, and you are simply making yourself look bad by trying to ridicule someone who gave a valid response to your original post given the way you chose to word it.

Not to say that people would not have chimed in with offtopic comments anyway, but then, it would have genuinely been off-topic. In this case, it no longer is, and you are simply making yourself look bad by trying to ridicule someone who gave a valid response to your original post given the way you chose to word it.

People are people, and off-topic is to be expected. As for ridicule, that is not the goal. The post is unrelated to the true point. That is all.

Im pretty sure the twin vipers will get the exact same treatment,

Hell,.. im even so sure about the nerfing of any good/fun weapons, that i have compleatly stopped to even put a potato in ANY new weapons i get,

Why bother gettin attatched to a weapon u have ANY fun with in this game anymore , it will just get he Nerfhammer

The only reason they havent nerfed Synapse and the soma yet, i can think of, must be because they havent gotten around to it yet,

but it will come for sure!

So great job DE... u have made me not use a single potato or forma on any weapon ever again...

Let alone, buy them for Plat...

The relevant section of your Original Post:

The nerf changed the damage types to make them completely different, which invalidated a few builds, but not really that bad.

The nerf made the spread bigger. Why not? It is a hand held shotgun after all.

The nerf changed the damage falloff to make it extremely useless at range. Back to the one-handed shotgun idea, and it makes perfect sense, really.

The actually quite sensible reply:

Falloff was unrealistic. DPS remained unaddressed, so it's still stupidly powerful compared to the 2nd-place weapon.

Your responses to said reply:

Unfortunately, it seems that most people aren't even reading the first post, and a few people up-voted the second post even though it is quite obvious he didn't read the first post to begin with and it has no real value in this thread.

[snip]

Second post is just a regurgitation of old complaints that everyone has heard before and completely misses what the first post is about.

Hmm.... and then you say:

As for ridicule, that is not the goal. 

The way you dismissed his/her reply seems overly heavy-handed, given the fact that your first post practically invited such commentary.

Edited by 413X

Brakk damage shifted more towards impact instead of being (what I think was) straight 80s(although, that was probably my damage mod). It lost some of its puncture (perfectly logical), some of its slash (don't know why it is actually still as high as it is), and gained impact (again, makes sense). I think overall it may have gained a bit through the impact, and with the original Damage 2.0 resistance tables, impact wasn't as useful for a multipurpose weapon with a singular strong damage type. Now, I think with the 11.5 update, the Brakk's impact damage is way more effective.

I know it did.

I'm killing things at the same usual rate pre-nerf. I honestly did not even know it had a nerf until people started whining about it on the forums ( and I read patch notes to boot! ).

Given that this thread is most likely to deteriorate fairly quickly after this, I am backing away from it. I really don't think more than just a few people are understanding what I'm trying to say and those that don't get it are just hating on my post for being a complaint about the Brakk being nerfed. I apologize to anyone who actually makes a valid point from this point forward, but most likely the thread will even be further derailed. I will probably no longer respond because it is becoming obvious that mentioning the Brakk on the forums or in the game basically just makes you a target for attacks, so I will refrain from mentioning it again. I might still watch it, and might reply, but I think it is time to stop before the real trolls come out.

Thank you to all of those who actually did read that nice block of text, and I hope you understood the point I am trying to get across to everyone else.

I hear what your saying. But it kinda assumes they'll get it perfect every time. The alternative is to release event weapons underpowered and then beef them up. But that also comes with outcry.

Worth keeping in mind that the brakk is still the highest damage weapon by about 25%, at least according to these tests:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/89592-unofficial-weapon-benchmark/

easily obliterating the synapse and soma.

They made the weapon more niche, which was a critical change for a weapon that few have and nobody else could get, and did so in a way that matches the style of the weapon.

They have actually honoured their change in tack by making special weapons worth getting. It remains a king.

I maintain that the Brakk is not and should not be an event exclusive. If it doesn't hit the market/clantech in a few months, I will be both shocked and enraged. 

THAT SAID, I agree with your basic thesis; event weapons SHOULD be a step above normal ones. 

Brakk as a clantech weapon....The Grineer section has been lacking and this sounds like a good idea. Maybe they will add the Detron, too. Although, the blueprints given out don't require Forma, adjusting them would be an interesting change. It is strong enough, so there is potential. It would make sense, as the Wraith and Vandal weapons seem to be more of event weapons, anyway. The Brakk is just...odd. And if I am really lucky, maybe they will bring the ol' Snipetron out of retirement again, because the Lanka just isn't cutting it.

Clantech...I'd support that...

If they make it clantech all the people that ground out 100 missions would, rightfully, be annoyed. I think also steve has mentioned in a livestream that it will remain exclusive.

They could bring out brakk prime haha.

(i don't have the brakk. i thought it ended at midnight not mid day and still had 30 missions to run. grr)

If they did decide to re-release the Brakk, it would most likely be in a similar event, with the possibility of an even more difficult task then...and that is unfortunate. Honestly, I think there are better and more entertaining alternatives for secondaries, anyway. Someone once told me said that it doesn't matter what's good or what is most effective, only what's fun. Even if the Brakk does return and remains in the state it is now, it wouldn't be as fun as other weapons already available.

As for Brakk Prime - no. It might end up a slightly more powerful version, and that will be enough to bring in all the people calling for nerfs. Again. How about Lex Prime? Or anything else primed? Not Brakk.

yes, hence the 'haha'. brakk prime would be terrible.

The problem is the brakk is easily the best secondary, when not wanting long range. Having something strong as an event item, or unique, is fine. But having something that is the best (by far!) and useful in every mission that is exclusive is pushing it a bit far.

I think putting it out again in a similar event is the way to go. Same effort needed as those that already got it. Little to complain about then.

I am hoping for a release of the Detron. That is what I had originally hoped for, anyway. It sounds much more refined, too.

Anyway, I also hope that the new event Vipers are going to be worth the task. I was a bit disappointed after what happened to the Brakk for a while, but I have high hopes for the Vipers, even if it were only cosmetic.

• 3 weeks later...

JeyJ13, how do you feel about the new wraith twin vipers? I personally think DE did a great job this time(on the weapon i mean) and it actually seems like a really balanced but improved version of the twin vipers. I have a feeling it won't serve as a reinforcer of prejudices about event weapons....