The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is Blatant Stupidy Accceptable But Trolling Is Not?

FrothingLoins

I'd rather we just go with the breeding licenses. Being in the state's custody is NOT a good thing, I speak from personal experience. The system can and has been abused.

I offered both because without both breeding licenses have no bearing. What do you do when somebody found unfit to reproduce reproduces? Fine them (making it even more difficult for them to provide for the child) and let them keep the child they are unfit to raise?

I offered both because without both breeding licenses have no bearing. What do you do when somebody found unfit to reproduce reproduces? Fine them (making it even more difficult for them to provide for the child) and let them keep the child they are unfit to raise?

I didn't say do away with the program, just that I was against its expansion. If they reproduce despite not being allowed to the child can be taken away with what is available as is. Those programs can cause a ton of heart/headache for all involved, including the child.

I didn't say do away with the program, just that I was against its expansion. If they reproduce despite not being allowed to the child can be taken away with what is available as is. Those programs can cause a ton of heart/headache for all involved, including the child.

I'm well aware of just how barely passable state "care" is. What you are suggesting is exactly what I am suggesting. A child would only be taken as a ward of state in the event of an illegal birth. Naturally there'd be fall-backs such as the option of having a financially and mentally fit relative be deemed the child's guardian to keep unnecessary burdens on the state to a minimum.

I'm well aware of just how barely passable state "care" is. What you are suggesting is exactly what I am suggesting. A child would only be taken as a ward of state in the event of an illegal birth. Naturally there'd be fall-backs such as the option of having a financially and mentally fit relative be deemed the child's guardian to keep unnecessary burdens on the state to a minimum.

Relatives are a good choice. I can't properly express the feeling that comes with being put into the care of a total stranger. Terrible doesn't do the feeling justice.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

Relatives is a good idea. I can't properly express the feeling that comes with being put into the care of a total stranger. Terrible doesn't do the feeling justice.

Pretty hard to have warm fuzzy feelings about anything when your mother's drug dealer murdered your father, his mistress and your cousin over a kilo of missing product or whatever nasty circumstances exist in the family microcosm that is drastic enough to dictate government intervention.

A less grim example would be this: Whether you're dropped in a dumpster full of broken glass, discarded needles and steel wool or dropped into a dumpster full of dog droppings...You've still been dropped into a dumpster.

Edited by FrothingLoins

Pretty hard to have warm fuzzy feelings about anything when your mother's drug dealer murdered your father, his mistress and your cousin over a kilo of missing product or whatever nasty circumstances exist in the family microcosm that is drastic enough to dictate government intervention.

A less grim example would be this: Whether you're dropped in a dumpster full of broken glass, discarded needles and steel wool or dropped into a dumpster full of dog droppings...You've still been dropped into a dumpster.

That's a rather extreme example. Speaking from personal experience I can say that it does not require something even remotely near that extreme for the Government to step in. As was my case. Without going into too much detail: I did something stupid (not illegal or anything, just stupid) despite having been taught not to. Someone (a neighbor) didn't like it so they called the man, the man then started the traumatizing loop of putting me with a stranger for a bit before cycling me to another stranger's home. Eventually I got put with someone who grew too attached this caused problems later down the line when my parents managed to get custody of me again despite that stranger still wanting me.

If every child who is tied up in the system was only there because of extreme cases like the one in your example I'd be all for it. But they aren't. So many children get traumatized for minor behavioral issues that their parents were in the process of weeding out. Using my siblings as a comparison I can say with 90% certainty that I am worse off than I would have been if I had remained with my parents.

There are children who get taken away from their parents simply because the parent chose a stupid name for their child.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

That's a rather extreme example. Speaking from personal experience I can say that it does not require something even remotely near that extreme for the Government to step in. As was my case. Without going into too much detail: I did something stupid (not illegal or anything, just stupid) despite having been taught not to. Someone (a neighbor) didn't like it so they called the man, the man then started the traumatizing loop of putting me with a stranger for a bit before cycling me to another stranger's home. Eventually I got put with someone who grew too attached this caused problems later down the line when my parents managed to get custody of me again despite that stranger still wanting me.

If every child who is tied up in the system was only there because of extreme cases like the one in your example I'd be all for it. But they aren't. So many children get traumatized for minor behavioral issues that their parents were in the process of weeding out. Using my siblings as a comparison I can say with 90% certainty that I am worse off than I would have been if I had remained with my parents.

There are children who get taken away from their parents simply because the parent chose a stupid name for their child.

I know of a teen who had a child from an unstable family and named the child "Alien".

Legitimately gave her child the first name Alien.  That kind of stupid is allowed to breed.

Edited by FrothingLoins

Names be changed, stupidity cannot. If a person is so incapable of proper judgement that they would name their child "alien" then they are obviously incapable of caring for themselves, let alone another human being.

Some people have an odd taste in names. As long as that is the only area the parent shows a lack of proper judgement I'd say it is perfectly fine for that child to remain with its parents. Worst case scenario maybe they (the parents) should be forced to give the child a different name. Honestly I have no problem with the name alien. It is different, but at least it breaks away from the mold. I knew a guy in high school who was named Storm. Not even joking.

I knew one poor guy whose parents named him 'Rover'. No joke. Not 'Roger', 'RoVer'.

He changed it when he left at 18 and has never gone home since. I don't blame him.

Someone said that there are no bad dogs or children. Only bad owners and parents. In my experience, that is true.

But the thing is, stupidity is generally self defeating where as trolling is selfishly trying to hurt others. So... *shrug*

Edited by Kalenath

The easiest way: blatant stupidity is like a disease, you can cure it with a little work, trolling is like a madman with a chainsaw, the best you can do is avoid it until it finally decides to see what it's own insides sound like.

Edited by Morec0

I don't actually mind being with stupid people, it makes things fun and exciting while it also gives me an opportunity to support them and make them look badbutts. (I hate profanity, by the way. :3)

I just hate people who are smart to troll, and troll such in purpose of ruining other's lives. :l

Because to deal with stupidity you have to lower yourself to their level, at which point they will beat you with experience.

Also trolling is deliberate, and in an increasingly Politically Correct society, being mean is mych less acceptable.

Cry more.

Some people have an odd taste in names. As long as that is the only area the parent shows a lack of proper judgement I'd say it is perfectly fine for that child to remain with its parents. Worst case scenario maybe they (the parents) should be forced to give the child a different name. Honestly I have no problem with the name alien. It is different, but at least it breaks away from the mold. I knew a guy in high school who was named Storm. Not even joking.

Teen. Parent.

Intentionally got pregnant at 14.