Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Glorious "trading" Tab.

SevenFangs

In the past 2 weeks/ past week, the trading tab has gone from a super popular nice place, to a **** hole full of trolls, undercutters, underpricers, and complete idiots.

I say that there needs to be a fixed price of plat or official price, or an auction house type of thing made, just a suggestion, but i know several other Tenno would probably agree on this. And I can say it irritates people when they spend an hour or two farming for that one good mod and plan to sell it, such as a rare mod like jagged edge and people are selling it for a measly 5 plat.

Now people are getting it in their heads that everything is worth almost nothing now. There needs to be something done because many Tenno don't even desire the trading system anymore. 

-Seven

If there was an "official" price for mods, then they would be available for purchase in the market for said price. If this was the case, you'd be forced to low-ball the "official" price if you wanted any business. Also, you're complaining that it isn't easy making what is an essentially "pay to obtain" currency for free, which doesn't make much sense within itself.

You also seem to believe that you speak for everyone when you say "many Tenno don't even desire the trading system anymore," which is completely false. There are plenty people in the trading chat who still desire trading, as you can plainly see in the trade chat.

Oh, and if you feel unrewarded for your efforts of farming a mod you never intended to use for yourself, then perhaps you should just uh...

Cease farming for mods you don't need.

An object is only worth what people are willing to pay for it and not a penny more.

If you don't consider what people want to pay worth your time then, well, don't sell your mod...

Only problem is, some people are willing to dish out an absurd amount of platinum for rare mods. Sure, it's their fault for paying such outrageous prices in the first place but considering it's a digital good you may, one day, get on a random drop, I really don't see the point of -any- mod costing more than 40-50 plats, fully ranked.

Also, considering that 75 plat is worth about 5$ (as the lowest buy price is pretty much that), it's really sad that some people are willing to pay, for example, 1000 plat for an Arrow Mutation mod. Sure, it's an event reward.... but you just spent about 66$ on a single mod you may not even use that much.

There should at least be some sort of hard cap on the amount of platinum that can be traded in a single transaction; even though it won't prevent people from performing multiples transactions, the trade-per-day count might at least tone down the ridiculous overpricing of mods since you'll be counting down on your daily maximum number of sales rapidly if you're trying to sell ridiculously high.

Look, if other people are willing to spend $66 on a mod, and you're not, then they get the mod.  Their valuation was higher.

That's exactly the way an economy is supposed to function.  This isn't a problem to be fixed - it's the entire purpose of the entire system.

Look, if other people are willing to spend $66 on a mod, and you're not, then they get the mod.  Their valuation was higher.

That's exactly the way an economy is supposed to function.  This isn't a problem to be fixed - it's the entire purpose of the entire system.

However, it causes over-inflation which means the tendency to sell high will also affect 'regular' purchase and not just rare or unique ones. If anything, that person got screwed over pretty bad due to a lack of knowledge of the market. It's profiteering upon ignorance, not fair trade.

If an economy DID function as Warframe's does, we'd not only be a consumer-based economy : we'd be a pretty dumb-founded consumer-based economy where providers would sell insanely high price for barely worthwhile items. Rarity does play a role yes but the current Warframe trading tendencies is more of a racket than an actual economy.

Guys, The point is yes, somethings are with 40-50 plat, but its tearing the market apart if those things that are rarer and worth more are being sold for nothing.

WHO says something is worth 40-50 plat?

DE doesn't, that's for sure.

Basic marketing: sell for what the buyer is willing to pay. 

If you can't make a profit/isn't worth your time then maybe it's not worth what you are trying to sell it for... 

Only problem is, some people are willing to dish out an absurd amount of platinum for rare mods. Sure, it's their fault for paying such outrageous prices in the first place but considering it's a digital good you may, one day, get on a random drop, I really don't see the point of -any- mod costing more than 40-50 plats, fully ranked.

Also, considering that 75 plat is worth about 5$ (as the lowest buy price is pretty much that), it's really sad that some people are willing to pay, for example, 1000 plat for an Arrow Mutation mod. Sure, it's an event reward.... but you just spent about 66$ on a single mod you may not even use that much.

There should at least be some sort of hard cap on the amount of platinum that can be traded in a single transaction; even though it won't prevent people from performing multiples transactions, the trade-per-day count might at least tone down the ridiculous overpricing of mods since you'll be counting down on your daily maximum number of sales rapidly if you're trying to sell ridiculously high.

Alright, I'd like to buy a maxed Serration mod off of you for 50 plat, good deal? Yeah, thought so.

Alright, I'd like to buy a maxed Serration mod off of you for 50 plat, good deal? Yeah, thought so.

If I had one maxed (I have 1 rank 10 which I personally use), I'd sell it for 35-40.

Why? Because it drops rather well when you know where to look and really, I'm asking you for 2 to nearly 3$ for a digital good I didn't even had to buy to get and only had to fuse mods and cores into it which drops by the truckload during missions. That and I might just drop another one after I'm done with the trade due to a stroke of luck, only unranked.

Only time I'd hit 50 plat for a sale would be an event exclusive mod since... well it's an event exclusive mod but still, has no real value other than being digital data I was handed for partaking in a bit of time over a weekend.

If anything, that person got screwed over pretty bad due to a lack of knowledge of the market. It's profiteering upon ignorance, not fair trade.

Because this NEVER happens in the real world, right guise?

Companies are ALWAYS worried about fair trade, right?

If you get screwed over due to ignorance, it's your own fault for being stupid and not doing the research. 

Edited by Heavenshaker

Welcome to basic economics. 

An item's worth what people are willing to pay for it. 

The real price of an item is calculated by the cross in demand and offer of said item. Should an item be very rare then it's most likely to be pricey (IE. primed chamber) and should it be very wanted then it has the same effect (IE. Fleeting expertise). 

What you are experiencing is dismatched values, where what you're willing to pay/charge for a certain item doesn't match with the real value of the said item. 

Take in mind this is not a perfect parket (economically speaking) so there's no perfect information, there's margin of price and other elements. 

When you see "undercutters" these are just a natural product of the market, less people willing to pay for a certain item at a said price, more people selling the item for said price, then the price is just going to drop naturally. 

When you say "but if we all held our prices". No, that's not how a market works, and if you want to manipulate the market (IE. buy ALL primed chambers) then that's up to you but you throwing a fit and planning to sell items no lower than is not permited in a free market. 

I suggest you educate yourself and learn to play the market properly if you're so upset. 

Edited by Zephyric_Reaper

Because this NEVER happens in the real world, right guise?

Companies are ALWAYS worried about fair trade, right?

If you get screwed over due to ignorance, it's your own fault for being stupid and not doing the research. 

I simply feel bad for the guy who went ahead with that trade simply because there's absolutely no real basis for pricing other than good faith in a seller that may or may not sell you at a fair price.

As far as fair trade goes, people usually have a basis of comparison, something that the current Warframe 'market' (and that's stretching it) doesn't have. There's no market-average, no information for even those who would like to get informed other than claims from X or Y person which would leave one wondering what the hell is going on.

Ignorance is one thing when you do not do your research; it's another thing when there's no source of viable information to research from.

Welcome to basic economics. 

An item's worth what people are willing to pay for it. 

The real price of an item is calculated by the cross in demand and offer of said item. Should an item be very rare then it's most likely to be pricey (IE. primed chamber) and should it be very wanted then it has the same effect (IE. Fleeting expertise). 

What you are experiencing is dismatched values, where what you're willing to pay/charge for a certain item doesn't match with the real value of the said item. 

Take in mind this is not a perfect parket (economically speaking) so there's no perfect information, there's margin of price and other elements. 

When you see "undercutters" these are just a natural product of the market, less people willing to pay for a certain item at a said price, more people selling the item for said price, then the price is just going to drop naturally. 

When you say "but if we all held our prices". No, that's not how a market works, and if you want to manipulate the market (IE. buy ALL primed chambers) then that's up to you but you throwing a fit and planning to sell items no lower than is not permited in a free market. 

I suggest you educate yourself and learn to play the market properly if you're so upset. 

I'm not upset about rarity of items; I'm upset about the overevaluation of prices versus a realistic pricing model. There's absolutely no mod in the game that is worth that high an amount of money. I can understand Primed Chamber being the rarest and thus, the priciest mod to trade. However, I do not see how prices that equates to over 50$, on a completely digital good which your ownership is completely debatable given that it exists only within the scope of the game and nowhere else, is considered any way normal.

As other have said, mods are worth only what people are willing to pay for them.

The faster you want to offload certain mod, the lower you'll have to go. I know that Jagged Edge tends to be expensive and is rather rare, plus Jagged Edge is special case since the best farming place for it got overtaken by Grineer. It's kinda kinda hard to judge price of Jagged Edge to begin with because of this, people tended to farm this hardcore on Baal hence dropping its price considerably and I don't know how much is still on the market from then.

Anyway, it's perfectly possible to sell any mod for pretty much any price. What changes is the time it will take... if I went and offered Jagged Edge for 5p on the trade right now, I'm pretty sure I would sell it immediately. And that is fine.. but I doubt that considerable number of suppliers would sell it for this price. So you just have to offer and wait. I find that 25-30p is a sweet spot for Jagged Edge when you don't want to spend too long on trade channel. Anything higher is gonna be difficult.

And many players are simply not willing to pay over 50p for anything. Like me for example... no mod is worth over 50p for me. And the rich players that are willing to pay more than that are few and far between... and most of them already have everything they need.

And don't get me started on how people guess the price of ranked mods.. yes, guess, that's what it is. There's no clear way of setting price of ranked mods so everyone just makes it up as they go.

Edited by LocoWithGun

Oh, there's also another factor.

The value of platinum is all over the place. For someone who can't get platinum any other way.. the value is very high.. even the plat he gets from trading. It's a very limited or even finite source after all.

For someone who bough it the value is too real for comfort.. and even then it depends on if you bought the plat with coupon or not. My plat is the 75% discounted one.. hence less valuable than for people that have undiscounted platinum. But still valuable.. we're talking real money for digital trinkets.

For someone who has bought platinum, but got some from the trading... here it's getting tricky. You can't get the platinum out of the game... hence it doesn't have the real value compared to the plat you bought. It's essentially free platinum and as such has lower value.

See? it's entirely possibly to have plat count that is a combination of platinum with different values. How do you set prices then? The value of platinum will vary from person to person wildly. For that guy selling Jagged Edge, 5p can be a lot... maybe he can't get it any other way and needs it to get that scarf or slot.. you can't really expect everybody to study the market before trading.

Though I'd like an auction house.. just so people don't get scammed. Opportunity is a b*tch and when you see someone gullible it takes a lot of restraint to hold back and most people won't...

Edited by LocoWithGun

too lazy to read all of that, just gotta say fixed prices never work, theres no point to them and people do as they like anyway. also? people find trading fun, a lot of people do it to make a profit too. there will always be undercutters and lowballers. thats the price you pay for the availability of this system. so long as there aren't any @(*()$ goldfarmers spamming into the chats, i am perfectly fine with dealing with all of the traders that care enough to sit in that chat all day long.

[points at runescape and their utter failure at dealing with goldfarmers for years]

Also, I quit Runescape when they started setting prices. The devs never know their own in game economy.

i quit when they "listened to the players" and "banned" the bots the first time around. a year or two of screaming it took and all they did was remove the characters farming the S#&$. more years later they finally added a solution that was suggested at the start of the screaming. a payable item for gametime and prettystoof. mind this was dropped just last year. i laughed pretty hard when i first saw it. too little action far too late.oh well. nostalgia demands i watch the game burn. so i check in every once in a while.

*say to saw hurpdurpburp

Edited by Delano

I simply feel bad for the guy who went ahead with that trade simply because there's absolutely no real basis for pricing other than good faith in a seller that may or may not sell you at a fair price.

As far as fair trade goes, people usually have a basis of comparison, something that the current Warframe 'market' (and that's stretching it) doesn't have. There's no market-average, no information for even those who would like to get informed other than claims from X or Y person which would leave one wondering what the hell is going on.

Ignorance is one thing when you do not do your research; it's another thing when there's no source of viable information to research from.

I'm not upset about rarity of items; I'm upset about the overevaluation of prices versus a realistic pricing model. There's absolutely no mod in the game that is worth that high an amount of money. I can understand Primed Chamber being the rarest and thus, the priciest mod to trade. However, I do not see how prices that equates to over 50$, on a completely digital good which your ownership is completely debatable given that it exists only within the scope of the game and nowhere else, is considered any way normal.

I repeat myself. "What you are experiencing is dismatched values, where what you're willing to pay/charge for a certain item doesn't match with the real value of the said item. "

What you are willing to pay and what others are willing to pay is not bound to logic, at all. What you are doing is presenting us with a tirany that prices sohlud be dictated by what YOU consider worth it. Your standards are blinded by your social-economical-educational condition as well as political and yet you seem correct to impose them over a world-wide game(market) where many people have different value of their money/currency and such. 

What you are doing sir trying to impose yourself over a concept that is just natural. You are saying to me that 1+1 doesn't equal 2 in economical equivalents. I suggest you, again, that you educate yourself in economics, understanding it opens up your mind and lets you understand these fenomena which are just so natural.