The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Higher Fps = Higher Attackspeed?

Gentlemoa

Hey guys, today i noticed something strange:

I got a Dual Zoren Crit&Speed build. My Attackspeed is at 2.9 without Berserk. 

I noticed that my Attackspeed seems to be alot higher when my game runs at 120FPS as it does when it runs on 60FPS. 

I was able to reproduce that with locking my FPS via Nvidia Inspector.

If i locked it at 60fps, my Attacks are a lot slower than on 120fps. 

Is this already known? 

mmm... not sure about melee. but burst weapons suffer from low fps.

Melee weapons suffer from it as well, I can attest to that. Not sure about single fire weapons.

@OP it's been known by some of the community for a long time, considering the game use to be less optimized than it is now, and therefore a lot more noticeable, also all weapons used to be affected by it. I believe only fully automatic weapons received a "fix" for it.

Edited by AXCrusnik

Burst fire weapons suffer quite a bit when the framerate drops. When the framerate gets extra low, I've noticed that all weapons tend to slow down.  It wouldn't be far fetched for the opposite to occur at the other end of the spectrum (high framerates).

I have an aging Ati HD 4870 with a measly 512MB of graphics memory, so I can't test that out for myself :P

A video comparison would be of interest to the me, ... I mean the community!

Edited by GasGiant

It's not that Higher FPS = Higher attack speed, it's that Lower FPS = Lower attack speed. At a good (30+) framerate, that is what your speed is "supposed" to be. Lower than that, and you're literally a bit slower, with everything. (Of course everything else is too, but that's beside the point.)

It has to do with how animations are tied to Frame Time, and as far as I know is something that is integral with how the Evolution Engine works. The simplest way I know how to explain it (and this is probably wrong from a technical standpoint) is something like, "press this button, perform this action, then wait x number of frames before being able to perform that action again." Rinse and repeat. Of course if your frames are taking a long time to play out, you'll be having to wait longer before you can perform that action again.

Old news hm? Okay, i never noticed that before or heard of that before, thats why i asked. 

"At a good (30+) framerate, that is what your speed is "supposed" to be. Lower than that, and you're literally a bit slower, with everything. "

Yes but i noticed that with FPS lower than 120. At my average 120fps i am fast as hell. I just go full berserk and shred the enemies in seconds. But then an ember started a physx-firework and my fps droppen to around 55-68 and i was alot slower. i don't even want to imagine what would happen with fps lower than 50 o.O