Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"shotgun Spazz" Mod Name Change Request

ChazTargrin

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this but as a UK player, I wanted to request that the name of the "Shotgun Spazz" mod (+15-90% fire rate on shotguns) be changed, for the following reason:

In the UK and Ireland at least, "Spazz" or "Spaz" is a derogatory term taken from the word "Spastic", which has its roots in serious mental disabilities, such as cerebral palsy. It's used as an insult to imply that someone's stupid or clumsy. It's almost as bad as the insult 'Retard', basically. As someone who suffers from mental illness myself, I'm offended by the mod's name, and as such I'd like to request a change.

Personally I'd like to suggest "Bump Fire" or "Slam Fire" as a possible alternative name - Slam Fire might be more shotgun-appropriate, though I'd like to hear what other players think!

Edited by ChazGansir

Personally I'd like to suggest "Bump Fire" or "Slam Fire" as a possible alternative name - Slam Fire might be more shotgun-appropriate, though I'd like to hear what other players think!

Slam Fire doesn't feel like it, in my opinion. Since its sense is more on Impact damage.

How about "Trigger Bliss"?

Edit:

"Target Cracker" is also offensive to my native homeland. It sounds like a mod specifically designed to shoot white people.

"Soft Point" could've been a nice trait for a critical damaging bullet.

Edited by Freelancer27

Slam Fire doesn't feel like it, in my opinion. Since its sense is more on Impact damage.

How about "Trigger Bliss"?

"Trigger Bliss" could work! The reason I suggested "Slam Fire" is based on the Winchester Model 1897 shotgun, and how it was designed to be "slam-fired" by holding down the trigger and slamming the pump action back and forth. (Likewise, "Bump-firing" is about using a gun's recoil to bump the trigger again, turning it from a semi-auto to a full-auto weapon!)

Edited by ChazGansir

Slam Fire just makes me think of shaqface.png. Not a bad thing, just made me laugh.

Trigger maniac? Something to imply that you're firing quickly and recklessly.

Ahaha, wow. I didn't think about that. C'MON AND SLAM!

Trigger Maniac could work, though it might be confused with the Speed Trigger mod for pistols. Fleeting Shot could also work too! I'm still juggling about ideas here, Twitch-Firing might also work, perhaps!

Ok mate, I have a mental disability myself, and see NO issues with this mod. You are being overly sensitive about it.

I've seen a few people commenting on this thread that I am being "overly sensitive". I'm not - I just wanted to raise the issue to the developers that the word "Spaz" is a derogatory term in the UK, and that they should at least take that fact into account, in order to avoid causing any accidental offense.

I've seen a few people commenting on this thread that I am being "overly sensitive". I'm not - I just wanted to raise the issue to the developers that the word "Spaz" is a derogatory term in the UK, and that they should at least take that fact into account, in order to avoid causing any accidental offense.

Yea, I know this mate, I'm from the UK. I live in the UK, I know what it means and how people use it here.

If the Devs had to consider every single use of words in naming mods, they could end up having a hell of a time naming them. It was likely something that just randomly came to their mind when making the mod, and it was thought "yep that works".

The game has been ongoing for over a year now, and so far you're the first person I've seen to bring this subject up at all, so to re-iterate, you are being overly sensitive, as its just a game. If people take offense from it, then their taking it FAR to literally. 

So I'm the first person to bring this issue to light, then? Good! I've always wanted to be the first to bring about a little change. Let's take a look at the couple of the points you bring up.

- "If the devs had to consider every single use of words in naming mods, they could end up having a hell of a time naming them."

Almost all of the mod names I have seen through the Wiki make proper sense, and are not offensive. "Target Cracker" may be construed in the wrong way, as pointed out in the first reply (Though I'm not entirely sure if they were yanking my chain or being serious), but other than that and Shotgun Spazz, all of them look alright to me. I'd say they picked their names carefully to make them make sense, but that doesn't exempt them from the fact that they made a mistake in naming Shotgun Spazz, and so I made this thread to suggest some alternatives.

-"To re-iterate, you are being overly sensitive, as it's just a game. If people take offense from it, then they're taking it far too literally."

Right, this is the hairy one. If you're trying to scare me off or shut me up by repeatedly calling me over-sensitive, it's not working. "It's just a game" and "You're taking it far too literally" are common excuses as to why we shouldn't address offensive content like this. I don't know about you, but I play games to stave off depression and keep myself occupied so I don't have anxiety attacks. To have a game include a phrase that, to me and some others in the UK (Yourself not included, as you've already stated you're enough of a hard-man that it doesn't bother you), can be read as "Ha ha, it's funny because they're using a shotgun like a mentally deficient person would." is awkward and potentially upsetting.

I'll admit I'm not exactly great at providing counter-arguments, but regardless I will continue to press the issue until a moderator or developer gives their input on it.

A word only has a much power as you give it.

Coming from someone who doesn't like in the UK, it's just another way to say twitchy. So to me it's makes sense, but it also has a nice ring to it as Shotgun Twitch sounds weird.

Edited by SonicDoragon

I am offended you are offended everyone's offended

people are way too sensitive.

I think you should get over yourself and deal with it.

I don't think there's a single word in any dictionary that I know that would ''offend'' me.Which leads me to believe..what is wrong with you people?

What I'm actualy interested into aswel, where does this thing even drops?I been looking for it and I feel like not trusting wiki no more..

Edited by Nnazqul

A word only has a much power as you give it.

Coming from someone who doesn't like in the UK, it's just another way to say twitchy. So to me it's makes sense, but it also has a nice ring to it as Shotgun Twitch sounds weird.

Yeah, this is where the issue comes in. In the states 'spaz' just refers to someone who's twitchy or easily exciteable, and I have full faith that the devs didn't intend to cause any offense when they picked the name. I made this thread just to say "Hey, this mod name might be taken the wrong way by some of your playerbase, as a heads-up".

I haven't seen that mod drop since before update 11.  Last I checked the codex, it wasn't listed to drop from anything at all.

Huh, I didn't know this. The reason I brought this up was because it was mentioned on the Wiki when I was reading up on the new Drakgoon shotgun - One of the sections mentioned that equipping Accelerated Blast and Shotgun Spazz helped decrease the Drakgoon's charge time, and the name Shotgun Spazz struck me the wrong way.

I am offended you are offended everyone's offended

people are way too sensitive.

I think you should get over yourself and deal with it.

I don't think there's a single word in any dictionary that I know that would ''offend'' me.Which leads me to believe..what is wrong with you people?

Maybe you don't take offense from certain words, but that doesn't give you the right to speak for everyone else. I could go into a long, long list of what is wrong with me but that's besides the point of this thread. "Deal with it?" That's what I'm doing right now by bringing up this issue on the forum, as a matter of fact! 

Yeah, this is where the issue comes in. In the states 'spaz' just refers to someone who's twitchy or easily exciteable, and I have full faith that the devs didn't intend to cause any offense when they picked the name. I made this thread just to say "Hey, this mod name might be taken the wrong way by some of your playerbase, as a heads-up".

It's not really an issue though, kinda like how " "Target Cracker" may be construed in the wrong way" you can look at Shotgun Spazz the same way.

Though I laughed my arse off on the target cracker post. Crackers are a deliciously salted snack, I don't know a single white person who even finds it anything but an amusing attempt to make a forced insult.

Good, then we've established what is wrong here.

You

That means , what you have to deal with is yourself.Stop making others responsible for what you're making yourself feel.

Otherwise, I'm entitled aswel to make people censure words like short and skinny because it brings me bad memories of my childhood.

no, get over yourself.I'm sorry for you if you're feeling bad but this is silly.

Good, then we've established what is wrong here.

You

That means , what you have to deal with is yourself.Stop making others responsible for what you're making yourself feel.

Otherwise, I'm entitled aswel to make people censure words like short and skinny because it brings me bad memories of my childhood.

no, get over yourself.I'm sorry for you if you're feeling bad but this is silly.

I do feel you're missing the original point I made (Might be poor communication on my part, in which case I apologise), which is that "Spaz" in the UK is a discriminatory slur against people with mental handicaps, as severe as cerebral palsy. I happen to be mentally handicapped myself (Autism, if it wasn't already evident), and I wanted to bring up the issue to the devs, as they are more likely than not unaware that the term is offensive in my country.

Words like short and skinny are simply physical descriptors, and while I agree with you that such words are often used as a basis for bullying in school, discrimination against mental difficulties is somewhat more severe, and often extends well past childhood.

why should people care what is offensive in your country or to you?

why should people be made responsible for what you're making yourself feel?

and why are you entitled to impose it on people and undermine their freedom of speach?

this spazz thing is awfully subjective which makes it your problem, does it not?

why should people care what is offensive in your country or to you?

why should people be made responsible for what you're making yourself feel?

and why are you entitled to impose it on people and undermine their freedom of speach?

this spazz thing is awfully subjective which makes it your problem, does it not?

Time for a point-by-point deconstruction again!

1: Because this game is delivered to a worldwide audience, it's kind of important to make sure you don't step on any toes, basically.

2: You keep telling me that I'm making myself feel offended, which is a cute thought but I can't really entertain it. If something I see evokes a negative emotional response, I ask the person to stop it, because it upsets me. Typically, when this happens, their response is to apologise and stop, not go "You're just making yourself feel that way." That's putting blame onto the victim, which is an incredibly dangerous thing to do.

3: Oh boy, you pulled the freedom of speech card on me! Time to educate (Oh this is so exciting I've never done this bit before) Freedom of speech, as far as I am aware, is the freedom to state your opinions without being criminally punished for doing so, not the freedom to be offensive to whoever you like and not be called out on it. And really, now, complaining that my making a simple request to change the name of a mod to remove potentially discriminatory content does not mean that I am undermining anyone's freedom of speech. Again, cute thought, but no.

4: It may be subjective, but I still consider it to be discriminatory against the mentally handicapped, which is why I made this thread. I am hoping the devs will see where I'm coming from, and whatever the final decision is, as long as they acknowledge that the phrase could be considered offensive, I'll be satisfied.

what I'm trying to get at..

Everything is offensive !

I am offended by the invisible man in the sky.Should we ban religions?

No, it means I should keep it to myself.And so should you.

There's no limitation to what can become offensive.That's on you.

People need to stop putting their offense of a pedastal.You cannot campain against a problem at a personal level.

Do we wanna entertain this meaningless exercise or grow thicker skin?

Yeah man, just completely ignore that word that was created and is used today to belittle and dehumanize an entire group including yourself! Just grow thicker skin! --The rallying call of all who never had to or will have to deal with any of this crap.

Kinda a weak argument pal, may wanna rethink what you're trying to say.

And haha oh man invisible man in the sky, I can smell the doritos, mountain dew, and sweat stained fedora from here. Please say some more stuff, I can't wait for your reply