Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"shotgun Spazz" Mod Name Change Request

ChazTargrin

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this but as a UK player, I wanted to request that the name of the "Shotgun Spazz" mod (+15-90% fire rate on shotguns) be changed, for the following reason:

In the UK and Ireland at least, "Spazz" or "Spaz" is a derogatory term taken from the word "Spastic", which has its roots in serious mental disabilities, such as cerebral palsy. It's used as an insult to imply that someone's stupid or clumsy. It's almost as bad as the insult 'Retard', basically. As someone who suffers from mental illness myself, I'm offended by the mod's name, and as such I'd like to request a change.

Personally I'd like to suggest "Bump Fire" or "Slam Fire" as a possible alternative name - Slam Fire might be more shotgun-appropriate, though I'd like to hear what other players think!

People all over the world do not have to follow your rules of slang just like you, the UK, dont follow the rules of other countries. 

On top of that the subject at hand doesnt even have anything to do with a person of mental disabilities so there is not even a link to the slang.

I am tempted to just copy and paste a few dictionaries on what spaz's definition is. It's wildly considered an insult implying clumsiness, and/or having an emotional freak-out.

These are the examples used in the Merrian Webster site for the definition of spaz.

1. I'm a real spaz on the ski slopes.
  2. <I haven't played tennis in years, so don't be surprised if I am a total spaz on the court.>

Do those sounds like some one is being insulting?

Here is an example from Spastic

<even after the formal surrender, spastic violence erupted in scattered quarters of the city>

It appears that in this example the word can even be used without even being linked to some mental disability, look at that.

At least quote the definition, if you use an example.

Webster: Spaz

US slang : a person who is very clumsy or awkward : klutz

I'm a real spaz on the ski slopes.

klutz [kluts]

n (slang insult)

1.  an offensive term for somebody who is regarded as physically or socially clumsy 

2.  an offensive term for somebody who is regarded as unintelligent 

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Other accepted definition by dictionary publishers: Spaz

noun

1. an awkward or clumsy person.

verb (used without object), spazzed, spaz·zing.

2. to move in an awkward or clumsy way (usually followed by out ): She spazzed out and we had broken glass all over the floor.

3. to become more angry than a situation warrants (usually followed by out ): Mom spazzed out when she smelled cigarette smoke on my clothes.

4. to twitch: He was spazzing and muttering to himself, like the old speed freak he is.

Edit: I deleted my other post before I noticed it was responded to.

Edited by LazyKnight

Need help? Garner support from the community to change the name 'Shotgun Spazz' to something less "offensive". That's how Saryn is Saryn and not Sarin. There were at least some people who were affected by Sarin attacks and thus some support to change the name.

So again, want to get the name changed? Find some people. Otherwise you aren't going to do much on your own.

• 1 month later...

Just imagine an actual spazz with a shotgun, sweet mother of hades, that'd be dangerous.

All cruel and dark jokes aside, it is just a word, and is only given power by people who react to it adversely. Yes, you may find it insulting, but to many others its not.

What I do find funny, if they use the word spazz, yes you cannot say g4y, f4gg0t (as in food the food, you dark minded fools), or other, much less derogatory words and they are censored. Thats language for you!

I'm offended by the Sentinel mode "Coolant Leak". It sounds like my Sentinel is an 1982 AMC Concorde, which was a horrible car. Comparing my Sentinel to a horrible car from the 80s is Sentinel-ist.

Also, it's pronounced Ah-loo-men-um. Not Al-U-Men-ium. I'm offended by British pronunciations of common words! Especially words like "Color"! There's no "U" in "Color"! Stop putting your "U"s in everything!

You know what I do?

Armor up and let nothing hurt me.

And you know what? I feel much better everyday doing that.

They are just words, it's not like anyone's threatening shoot you in the chest forcing you to eat garbage. But if it bothers you this much then sure I'd warrant for a change.

Does Trigger Ready Sound good?

Dude, I don't know what to say... I look at it this way.

We all choose what will and what won't offend us. I think it is pretty stupid that you chose to be insulted by the word Spazz BUT I respect your opinion.

I'm curious, why did you choose to be offended by something that isn't used to offend you? The game didn't tell you "Hey, you are a f***ing spazz" or something like that.

Let's put it this way.

SPAZZ SPAZZ SPAZZ! This isn't an insult. This is just 3 words that I wrote with caps lock on. It would have been an insult (to you) if I said you were a spazz, but even if I did said that to you, so what, I have freedom of speech and I can use that freedom to insult you. The only thing you could do if I were to offend you would be to get away from me, or ignore me. That's wright, when someone or something is offensive, you handle it the right way, by choosing to ignore the insults. If you choose to be insulted than you loose to the one who is insulting you.

Also, you wrote this "This one is "Shotgun Spazz" - that suggests your character is handling the shotgun in a foolish manner, in order to fire faster."

You see what you did here? You looked at the term Spazz from another perspective, and it isn't offensive anymore.

Choose the points where you get insulted, offended and pissed of wisely.

I saw you wrote you're autistic. That doesn't mean you should automatically be offended by a word. You are what you are and words mean what words mean. You have autism, and you have to deal with it the best you can. But, choosing to be insulted by stuff like this, is not the best, IMO.

Hope this helps with your problem,

Cheers Tenno!