The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So I'm Trying To Understand This Whole Ps4 Warframe Thing...

Xylia

Before I say anything, this is not, I repeat NOT to be turned into a "which is better" or "PC vs Console" discussion.

This thread is only meant to discuss the various details about Warframe and only Warframe, no other games.

I put this in OT because I'm not real sure it should go in GD (if it belongs there, I'm sure a mod can move it there).

With that said...

First off, I understand DE wanting to open the doors to an audience that we were previously unable to reach: The PS4 players. These players for whatever reason were not playing Warframe on PC, or maybe their PCs were not reasonably strong enough to play Warframe on, in the first place.

That all makes sense! You release a game on PS4, you get new players that wouldn't have played otherwise.

The part that I'm failing to understand, though, are the PC players who want to migrate over to the PS4. I honestly cannot think of any advantage that could possibly give you, but yet I'm constantly reading threads about Account Migration and how it is a one-way ticket (IIRC?) because of contractual issues between Sony and DE that they can't simultaneously play their account on both platforms (not to mention the fact that PC is on 11.8.x and PS4 11.5 or some such).

I can't see any good in Migrating one's account over to the PS4, so perhaps someone can help me understand why a player would actually want to do this. I can only see the bad results:

1). The PS4 will probably never get upgraded. The PS4 will remain the PS4 until the PS5 comes out, which (given Sony's history) will not be Backwards-Compatible, or will only have limited BC with PS4 games. I suppose it being digital-only, DE could attempt to support both PS4 and PS5 in the future, not sure how hard that would be to do, but given history of Final Fantasy XI's woes, dealing with a new Playstation console release in an MMO-like game (one that is constantly updated) is not easy. FFXI was limited for a very long time because of PS2 limitations, long after the PS2 was considered obsolete because of a large number of players refused to go to the PS3. If SE had moved FFXI to the PS3 and discontinued PS2 support, they would have lost a decent chunk of the playerbase. Meanwhile, on the PC side, you will always have BC, for years into the future. Your computer might not be good enough _now_, but surely within a year or two, Walmart Computers (which are nearly the same price as a PS4) could run it at passable settings.

2). It takes longer to release patches on PS4 than it does for PC because of the whole Cert process. On PC, as soon as they internally test a patch, boom. Redtext and go. For PS4, however, they have to go through Cert. This means that even if they do catch PS4 up with PC, PC's patches will come out a good deal sooner. Currently, the gap is 0.3 inbetween (11.8.3 vs 11.5). 11.5 came out for PC well before Christmas, while we're almost at the end of January.

3). PS4 is already behind gamers' PCs and will eventually be behind budget computers within a year. During this time in 2015, you will probably be able to buy budget computers that will beat the PS4 in raw processing power. They will probably have integrated graphics, but if you merely drop any decent graphics card that's on the market today (which will be fairly cheap in 2015) in it, you'll have a PC that will beat the PS4 in nearly all aspects. For Warframe, this means that right now, PC players get faster loading times, better graphics potential, etc if they own an expensive gaming computer. This time next year, nearly everyone will have these capabilities if they upgraded their PC recently.

So what good things could there be in leaving the PC to go to the PS4?

Some people might say...

1). The Controller. This one's easy to counter: the 360 controller is almost exactly the same thing (D-pad and left stick are swapped between the two controllers, otherwise they are nearly identical) and would work just as well and works just fine on a PC.

2). Playing on the living room TV. Most modern PCs have HDMI-out, while many modern TVs have at least RGB-in. Nothing stopping you from doing this either.

So again, not meant to be a flaming or complaints thread, I'm just trying to understand all the hype, the complaints about the wait time behind the Migration, etc. Personally, Migrating to PS4 just looks like a bad deal all the way around with no upsides; I'm merely trying to understand why people would want to do it.

EDIT: God, why is it these forums refuse to save Underline formatting when editing posts? Seriously.

Edited by Xylia

"First off, I understand DE wanting to open the doors to an audience that we were previously unable to reach: The PS4 players."

Is this ignoring the fact it was a PS4 launch game?

It was a PS4 launch game, yes... but even if it weren't, there are some people with a PS4 who have glorified typewriters (no offense intended) for PCs and would not have been able to play Warframe otherwise.

Edited by Xylia

PC master race is puzzled as to why their brothers would be migrating to console peasantry.

Joking aside, I am honestly puzzled. All OP argument are valid. The only reason to play console are exclusives*, because everything console do, PC does it better. Warframe isn't a console exclusive so why? Why migrating to PS4?

*or not having a good enough PC

Edited by Kaian-a-coel

You are aware it is an account copy right? Its not taking every thing you have on PC and transferring it to PS4 leaves the PC waccount with nothing on it.

I was under the impression that you did lose the stuff on your PC account?

Okay, fine. You can copy your account (one-time IIRC?) to the PS4.

Anytime you put work into your PS4 account.... your PC account does not gain anything. Put work into your PC account and your PS4 account gains nothing.

Your PC account will likely be a patch or two ahead of your PS4 account..... what incentive do you have to play on the PS4, again?

Just curious.

PC master race is puzzled as to why their brothers would be migrating to console peasantry.

Read my OP, please. This has nothing to do with PC vs Console.

Edited by Xylia

I play the game on the ps4 because i have no interest in buying and maintaining a high end pc.

I should also mention that the specs on a console vis a vis pc are not one to one because the console does one job, meaning the potential for optimization is much higher.

I do understand the ps4 will never have the brute force of a high end gaming rig, but for me who is satisfied with 60 fps, 1080p and some pretty lighting it is more than sufficient.

Ps. English is my second language so sorry if it is hard to understand :p 

I play the game on the ps4 because i have no interest in buying and maintaining a high end pc.

I should also mention that the specs on a console vis a vis pc are not one to one because the console does one job, meaning the potential for optimization is much higher.

I do understand the ps4 will never have the brute force of a high end gaming rig, but for me who is satisfied with 60 fps, 1080p and some pretty lighting it is more than sufficient.

Ps. English is my second language so sorry if it is hard to understand :p 

You're doing fine; your English is much better than some I've read! *chuckles*

I already covered players like you in my OP -- people who have weak computers or those who don't really want to buy a computer. That's fine and all. Perhaps I should have specified in my OP to mean people who have PCs good enough to run Warframe right now who want to migrate to the PS4.

to help enlighten you, I have many friends who hate PC and would not want to even try and get a decent enough PC to run Warframe, but they do want to play Warframe on console.

The reason for me is I have hardly any friends on PC but a lot of friends on console so it would be nice to play with my friends, but I don't want to go through the hassle of gathering all that I've got through the grind all over again, I tried and found myself wishing I had everything I had on my PC account.

1). The Controller. This one's easy to counter: the 360 controller is almost exactly the same thing (D-pad and left stick are swapped between the two controllers, otherwise they are nearly identical) and would work just as well and works just fine on a PC.

While indeed you can use the 360 controller, but if you love the PS4 controller then it moots the point of using the 360 due to preference (It's like saying to someone who likes PC and then saying "We'll you can also do it on mac, why don't you use a Mac?") and while it works fine and well, if you've played Warframe on PS4, using the touch pad is something amazing to me for the skills.

2). Playing on the living room TV. Most modern PCs have HDMI-out, while many modern TVs have at least RGB-in. Nothing stopping you from doing this either.

Again it comes down to preference, While you can connect a PC to a large TV (which I've done myself many times) It is more convenient to just to use my PS4 where it sits and not have to move my PC up and down Stairs.

In the end it's all just about gaming, I have a PC, a Mac, and various consoles and I have multiple copies of games cross all platforms. I understand the strengths and weaknesses to it all and TBH it's all about convenience, preferences and experiences and it's not the same across all platforms. The community in gaming on PSN is not the same as those on Live and neither of those are the same compared to PC. As I have stated, most of my friends are on console and while the game may be better on PC, the fun I have with my friends and with people on console will be the better experience for me then playing with the random people I play on PC, which I must say, the last few times was $&*&*#(%& and hellish.