Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Day/night Cycle For Corpus Outpost/ Grineer Settlement/ Gas City?

DJ_Redwire

So as we witnessed in the Cicero Crisis, the new Grineer Forest tile set introduced a day and night cycle, which helped play a key role in the event itself. As mentioned in livestream #21, the Earth tile set will be making a permanent return to the starmap. Not only that, but it will retain many of the features that were present in the event (along with some new ones), such as the scan-able plants, but namely the day/night cycle will be included as well. 

So now that we will see this feature become an official part of the game, should the day/night cycle remain exclusive to just the forest tile set? Or should the same cycles be added to the other 'outdoor' maps at some point as well? What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Personally, I enjoy the day/night cycle for the small amount of playthrough variety it adds that many believe Warframe needs desperately - that bit of variation to make grinding the same missions over and over a little less mind-numbing. But I also do not want the maps to include anything that could be acquainted to the plants on Earth, in which some appear in the day and some at night. That is not a feature I want to see added to any other tile set. However, I would be interested with the possibility of different enemy types appearing based on whether it's night or day, or something along those lines.

Edited by DJ_Redwire

Imagine adding it to the void. The halls being suspiciously dark and quiet. Some might say the "night" time for the void are the orokin derelict ships, but that would seem a bit cheap. I'd really like to see where this goes.

And I like the idea of different enemy types depending on the time.

CosmoKnight, on 26 Jan 2014 - 02:22 AM, said:

Imagine adding it to the void. The halls being suspiciously dark and quiet. Some might say the "night" time for the void are the orokin derelict ships, but that would seem a bit cheap. I'd really like to see where this goes.

And I like the idea of different enemy types depending on the time.

I think day/night should only be implemented on planet tilesets because you don't have an actual day/night cycle in a space vessel since you're either facing the sun (or star relative to your postiion) or you're facing the other way. It's not like you're on the surface of a giant body, so there's no actual day/night for vessels.

Imagine adding it to the void.

is there even "sunlight" in the vod? i always thought it was just inverted space

No. Unless stealth comes in, and night time makes it easier to sneak up on enemies etc. Otherwise it brings nothing to gameplay, and would just serve to annoy people that don't like a particular tile in day/night.

it adds diversity to the environments, which is important to prevent stagnation, there maps can also play/look different in day/night, for example phobos could have different wildlife at night, day/night cycles arent limited to just a different skybox

Imagine this scenario:

Void Towers (Day time) involves just bumping into all the normal Corrupted folk, you know, the usual.

Imagine adding it to the void. The halls being suspiciously dark and quiet. Void 

Void Towers (Night time) involves the same tile set but like CosmoKnight said, more creepier. Dark and quiet would be just a start. Sure you'll encounter enemies as usual, but in some areas it will be dead silent. Nothing in the darkness but hints of movement and the flickering of faint glowing eyes.

An army of Corrupted Grineer Bombards and Napalms. The horror......

While for funsies, all I could think about is what the Skates do at night as opposed to constantly burying themselves in sand during the day?

They awake. They hunt. They feed. 

While it could be interesting if a players hangs around large patches of sand too long, it comes for you! A presence hidden beneath the sand, waiting for careless Tenno. It commands the beasts known as the Skates. It is their Leader.

Cutting the corny suspense, I propose DE add a massive Skate boss enemy only present in the night time Phobos missions. 

Edited by yuio678

I think day/night should only be implemented on planet tilesets because you don't have an actual day/night cycle in a space vessel since you're either facing the sun (or star relative to your postiion) or you're facing the other way. It's not like you're on the surface of a giant body, so there's no actual day/night for vessels.

The space ships could have a day-night cycle as well, as they're orbitting around a planet.

I believe the international space station sees the sunrise and sunset 15 times in 24 hours.

@OP

It would be awesome to have the day-night cycle to be applied everywhere but I'd also like to see some other visual changes, like plants that only open during the day, different wildlife or maybe have more guards/soldiers during the day and have more traps/security systems during the night.