Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Detron - What Would You Change To Make It More Fun ?

tocorro

To start, I'll say that after few formas this gun is hmmm... "decent".

But is it fun to play ? Well it looks cool for certain, but I don't find it fun to play at all.

This weapon need some changes :)

I'd like to propose change of firing mechanism to something simmiliar to Drakgoon - charging makes less spread.

And for me the most annoying part is the sounds it makes !

This is a Corpus weapon right, and a hand cannon at that, then why does it sound like any regular shotgun (yeah I know this gun has a shotgun mechanics, but still I don't like it, my ears hurt everytime when I hear it and it ruins my fun).

Now I don't know if I can post a link to youtube source, but I'd like to share how I think this gun should sound.

This is a link to a short clip, from animated Transformers the Movie (old one),

at about 00:41 You can see / hear Optimus using his gun.

THAT is what a Corpus based hand cannon should sound more like !

OK so any of You would like to change something ?

Edited by tocorro

Nothing, the gun is fine where it is at, it is godly against grineer due to it having radiation damage, fairly accurate for being a shotgun pistol, and good stats overall. The detron doesn't need a change. From the issues you have from it, it just sounds like you need to use a different secondary. I like the sound. Also no to the firing mechanic change, you would have to nerf the spread of the detron to that of the broncos or even worse so that people would have to use that firing mechanic. It would also lower the damage per shot of the detron unless fired fully charged. Why are we trying to buff the 4th best secondary in the game? (tied with twin viper wraiths for dps)

Now if we want to talk about other guns that have status/crit chances of 2.5% those need buffs and changes.

They need to fix projectile aiming mechanics. You can't shoot point-blank enemies with projectiles without the auto-aim overcompensating and launching all of your projectiles directly to the right when your player's on the left side of the screen.

Been bothering me since I joined the game and got myself a Paris in late U7.

Nothing, the gun is fine where it is at, it is godly against grineer due to it having radiation damage, fairly accurate for being a shotgun pistol, and good stats overall. The detron doesn't need a change. From the issues you have from it, it just sounds like you need to use a different secondary. I like the sound. Also no to the firing mechanic change, you would have to nerf the spread of the detron to that of the broncos or even worse so that people would have to use that firing mechanic. It would also lower the damage per shot of the detron unless fired fully charged. Why are we trying to buff the 4th best secondary in the game? (tied with twin viper wraiths for dps)

Now if we want to talk about other guns that have status/crit chances of 2.5% those need buffs and changes.

I like that it has no damage fall-off. A charging mechanism wouldn't do much diffrence, just make the shot tighter with less spread for mid distances instead of random pellets all over the place. And because charging takes some time DPS would drop. This would give people choice between more DPS at close range or more acurate shooting at mid distances. And about the sound, well this is maybe just my prefference but imagine this if You hear a shot from a pistol and a shot from a magnum, the two differs. When You hear the latter one You know that something powerfull made that bang. Detron doesn't sound powerfull enough, and it should. For now it sounds like tiny firecrackers.

Seriously guys, lets talk about NEW weapons rather than change something a lot of us just got.

I've got almost the same xp ammount on it as I have on Brakk (my most used side arm). I managed to drop everything before DE slayed the RNG-God and made Harvester drop something everytime it gets killed. I've been using it a lot, it is not new to me, and altought I've read how good it is and not need changes I still think that few cosmetic changes would be nice.

Having forced myself through using that piece of junk i found 3 main issues with the gun.

1. It has projectile travel time.

The game has weird issue registering these kind shots. Travel time is allready an issue with many weapons that have it, but most of the time it can be forgiven thanks to high damage (bows and lanka) or high fire rate (Boltor and Tetra). But on Detron we have 5 or so projectiles which spread like crazy at over 5 meters and which all need to hit to create the best damage.

But if you stand too close to an enemy the shots will miss since the game will register the projectiles moving from a certain distance away from your Warframe's body, meaning the shots appear behind your enemy if they are too close.

So we have a weapon which spreads like crazy, that needs to hit enemies on close distance and a game mechanic which has issues registering shots with travel time especialy on short distances.

2. The damage type.

The gun fires unmodded only Radiation damage shots. Now if we look at damage 2.0's resistance table, we can see that Radiation is only (a bit) usefull against robots. But almost all robots in this game are protected by shields, because they are part of the Corpus faction. Now against shields Radiation is actualy WEAKER. That means it's main damage type is practically useless until you can give it a second damage type that is effective against shields, but which in turn will be always more usefull in general than it's base damage type.

This means that from it's base damage type the Detron is next to worthless against ALL enemy factions in the game. When i went up against Lancers on Mercury i was astonished to find out that even by doing headshots i needed two hits to kill a level 1 Lancer. Not even the Bronco does that my experience. In contrast the Brakk has a natural advantage against Corpus because of it's impact focus, but impact is still great against Grineer and the Brakk has enough of the other two damage types to work wonders against Infested.

The Detron is damage wise a master of none. It's by it's nature inferior to any gun that has slash, impact or puncture damage.

3. No crit advantage, no proc advantage and no polarity slot.

For a gun that is so hard to get and was original thought up is competition for the Brakk it's amazing how little advantage it offers. No crit chance over 20% means no way of balancing out the above mentiod two main issues via critical damage focus. No increased proc chance means you can't even reliably get an advantage from the radiation damage type (enemies become confused and attack everyone).

Finaly no polarity slots means that it even takes longer until you can install any of the most important mods like hornet strike or an elemental mod.

Overall no side advantage to balance out the most annoying issues.

How to fix it:

1. Make it hitreg.

2. Change the radiation damage focus to Magnetic damage or corrosive damage. This way it would at least get one base advantage against Grineer or Corpus.

3. Give it a proc chance of 50%. We don't have any gun right now that even gets the slightest advantage from any of the proc chance increasing mods (15% increase of 10% is simply not usefull) and since the Brakk is allready given a high crit chance we should not simply copy it but give the Detron an advantage in the other "x-factor" of guns.

4. A "v" and "-" polarity slot. A no brainer in my opinion. The gun is hard to get, so it deserves two polarity slots. One for basic damage increase and one for an additional element.

Edited by Othergrunty

How to fix it:

1. Make it hitreg.

2. Change the radiation damage focus to Magnetic damage or corrosive damage. This way it would at least get one base advantage against Grineer or Corpus.

3. Give it a proc chance of 50%. We don't have any gun right now that even gets the slightest advantage from any of the proc chance increasing mods (15% increase of 10% is simply not usefull) and since the Brakk is allready given a high crit chance we should not simply copy it but give the Detron an advantage in the other "x-factor" of guns.

1. No, the lasers are what make it unique, and interesting, if you want it to be hitscan you can just get the bronco/bronco prime

2. maybe you havent checked the damage charts but there are enemies in literally every faction that take increased damage from radiation, alloy armor/sinew get a 75% boost and there is a 25% boost to robotic, there are also some enemies that are armored robots (like zanuka, jackal), who take absurd amounts of health damage from radiation

3. 50% proc chance is way too high on a shotgun, since they calucate procs per pellet, and some procs are too powerful to have essentially a 100% chance to proc on every shot

1. No, the lasers are what make it unique, and interesting, if you want it to be hitscan you can just get the bronco/bronco prime

2. maybe you havent checked the damage charts but there are enemies in literally every faction that take increased damage from radiation, alloy armor/sinew get a 75% boost and there is a 25% boost to robotic, there are also some enemies that are armored robots (like zanuka, jackal), who take absurd amounts of health damage from radiation

3. 50% proc chance is way too high on a shotgun, since they calucate procs per pellet, and some procs are too powerful to have essentially a 100% chance to proc on every shot

1. I didn't said anything about removing the laser effect. I just said the shot should be registered right away rather than after a travel time. Lasers in theory should be hitreg weapons anyway. If you mean the travel time itself, no that doesn't make it interesting. It makes it more awkward to use and inferior to weapons like the Bronco, because it requires more effort and creates more annoyance for currently little more gain.

2. Checking the wiki, you are right Alloy Armor takes more damage from radiation. Though looking through the codex i did not notice that. My bad. Also while using it i sometimes unloaded an entire magazine into level 15 robots who had their shields down and were still standing. Similar heavy grineer seem to just brush it off. Though perhaps the travel time and hitreg issues constantly caused most shots to miss. Overall after having fully leveled it now, i only found it somewhat usefull up to level 30 Grineers after combining it with corrosive damage. It still doesn't work very well. Perhaps i should install a potato and some extra damage mods. But it's the hitreg issues which kill this gun for me.

3. I agree 50% was way too high. 20% would allready be more than usefull.

In the end, i stand to the idea that it should be hitreg like the other hand shotguns and that doesn't mean remove the spreading plasma effect.

Hmm, thinking about it being a laser weapon. Maybe a spread laser effect (similar to the laser shotgun from X-com: Enemy Unknown in which 6 flux rifle style laser beams come from the barrel) could be cool.

Edited by Othergrunty

3-> My boar prime and detron pistols are definitely not calculating proc on a per pellet basis. I either get every pellet procing, or no pellet procing.

Perhaps it was the case in the past, but this has been stealth nerfed or bugged.

Changing the radiation to flat out corrosive or electric (to fit the corpus theme) would make the gun much more viable for high level play

It's already viable, and it wipes elite lancers, bombards, and napalms. IMO, three of the more annoying enemies. Just add 240% corrosive for doom to all.

Changing the radiation to flat out corrosive or electric (to fit the corpus theme) would make the gun much more viable for high level play

Radiation damage is viable for the entire Grineer faction, there are no Grineer that take a penalty to radiation damage(I can't remember if Rollers have a weakness to it or not). Radiation damage is better against napalm, and alloy units than corrosive would ever be, it melts alloy armored units. 

I have a 6 Forma Detron, it's not weak. It just takes sticking a few forma on it. Unlike Brakk, it has no starting polarity slots, and its default state has hard time fitting enough to be useful.

I also have a comparable forma level Brakk, and my Detron isn't on my list of weapons that need a damage type change.

Edited by LazyKnight