The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bows-Why They Desperately Need A Buff (Numbers Included)

Atlas_Smirked

Disclaimer: Before someone makes a knee jerk reaction to one of my arguments, read the entire thing please. Also, click on the picture to make the text big enough to read.

Below is a picture. Let's take a look at what this picture shows:

1) With every single damage mod except heavy caliber, the Dread still can't match the DPS of the Soma. 18 mods puts the Dread at 10848 DPS, while the Soma, with only 8 mods, sits at 13,028 DPS. 18 MODS and it still can't match the Soma, Synapse, and hek, it BARELY beats out the Snipetron Vandal (approx 10k).

2) "But bows aren't meant for sustained DPS!" Fine, I get that. So let's max out the Vectis, also a one shot per reload gun and look at the burst DPS. The Dread sits at ~18,700 DPS. What does the Vectis offer? 185,199 Even if you don't have Primed Chamber, it's still over 5 times higher. Looking at damage per shot, it's around 2/3 higher than the Dread, without Primed Chamber. Compared to the other numbers, this my not seem significant, this is comparable to the relationship between the Torid and the Soma.

The only thing the bows have going for them at this point is silence, and considering that silence is pointless 98% of the time...

gvU9eaC.jpg

Edited by Atlas_Smirked

bows right now are for swag

I think what we need most is some mods specific to bows

giving them so cool and powerful effects instead of just a straight damage buff (they could use a buff though too)

Like giving bows some utility or cc abilities 

there is a unique mod for bows that makes the arrows explode

Bows have certainly been brought up to be in need of review for a bit. Scott (Grineeer) was on a buff binge last week and I can confirm that Bows are on the radar for buffing!

Cool :D let's hope that the next bow is one with innate thunderbolt XD

Disclaimer: Before someone makes a knee jerk reaction to one of my arguments, read the entire thing please. Also, click on the picture to make the text big enough to read.

Below is a picture. Let's take a look at what this picture shows:

1) With every single damage mod except heavy caliber, the Dread still can't match the DPS of the Soma. 18 mods puts the Dread at 10848 DPS, while the Soma, with only 8 mods, sits at 13,028 DPS. 18 MODS and it still can't match the Soma, Synapse, and hek, it BARELY beats out the Snipetron Vandal (approx 10k).

2) "But bows aren't meant for sustained DPS!" Fine, I get that. So let's max out the Vectis, also a one shot per reload gun and look at the burst DPS. The Dread sits at ~18,700 DPS. What does the Vectis offer? 185,199 Even if you don't have Primed Chamber, it's still over 5 times higher. Looking at damage per shot, it's around 2/3 higher than the Dread, without Primed Chamber. Compared to the other numbers, this my not seem significant, this is comparable to the relationship between the Torid and the Soma.

The only thing the bows have going for them at this point is silence, and considering that silence is pointless 98% of the time...

gvU9eaC.jpg

You forgot innate perforation , it's pretty sweet sometimes 

for all the effort we put into getting the rare bows like dread or paris prime, they are pretty weak at the moment, and are pretty useless on stealth runs when the person setting off the alarm can simply tank all your arrows. seriously, the silenced part is useless if it cant even kill.

Thank goodness bows aregetting a buff

Bows have certainly been brought up to be in need of review for a bit. Scott (Grineeer) was on a buff binge last week and I can confirm that Bows are on the radar for buffing!

Can you please bring up to Scott that Thunderbolt should not make it so that arrows only have a chance to explode rather then making them always explode. Then thing is I either want my arrows to explode or I don't, not some random 1/3 chance to. And If he really feels that Thunderbolt needs to have ranks then make to so that each level increase explosion radius.

Can you please bring up to Scott that Thunderbolt should not make it so that arrows only have a chance to explode rather then making them always explode. Then thing is I either want my arrows to explode or I don't, not some random 1/3 chance to. And If he really feels that Thunderbolt needs to have ranks then make to so that each level increase explosion radius.

or chance, for a maxed 100%, a big explosion radius will only get your &#! killed (by yourself)

what program are you using to get those numbers?

dpsframe.com

What program did you use for that picture? Seems sweet.

GIMP (I used a background from when I made a picture for a contest on here: http://i.imgur.com/5xH5iiP.jpg)

Oh, as for where I got it, it was either here: http://imgur.com/account/favorites/akHsJ or here: http://imgur.com/account/favorites/J2VG8

The image itself can be found here:

http://i.imgur.com/3FYLHP5.jpg

And have this too (OC):

zH30Ywy.jpg

Edited by Atlas_Smirked

Thunderbolt would be more useful if:

- The explosion damage scaled like it used to, and perhaps increased in damage the longer you held the charge. That would help prevent players flinging volleys of uncharged arrows into crowds for max damage. It'd also encourage players to aim for weak points to maximize the damage of the explosion.

- It either has an innate chance to knock down (Blast proc) or it could proc the primary element on your bow. So say you have Magnetic and Toxin on your Dread for dealing with Corpus. Thunderbolt would have a chance to proc a Magnetic explosion. Or perhaps it could have a chance to proc both! An accompanying visual effect (i.e., a blue explosion for Magnetic, greenish-blue for Radiation, and so on) would also be neat but not necessary.

As for bows themselves, faster charge times, faster reloads, faster projectiles, and maybe a little more damage would help put them on par with other high-damage single shot weapons like the Vectis while retaining the learning and usage curve of using a bow. There's a reason why the Ogris is the best bow, and that's because it has a very efficient damage-per-resource expended ratio. Not that bows need to be as effective at wiping out hordes of enemies as a rocket launcher, of course.

Good to see that there are fixes on the way. Bows can only go up from here, so it's a matter of whether the devs are truly aware of the problems and can resolve them.

I just went on a paris prime rampage prior to reading this...although I welcome a buff I must say a dmg buff doesnt reaaally interest me... Now you add some cool bow stuff (Homing/enemyseeking arrow mod? spreadshot (super splitchamber) chance mod? ) well now you got me hooked...

bows right now are for swag

I think what we need most is some mods specific to bows

giving them so cool and powerful effects instead of just a straight damage buff (they could use a buff though too)

Like giving bows some utility or cc abilities 

We definitely need a mod for laser AND bows, is a mod that increases projectile speed so bows actually have a better chance to kill someone in like Conclave or something, and a moving enemy.

I for one would love to see a faster shooting Tenno Cross Bow! Like with a clip and a reload time rather then time between each shots!

Balistica could fill that need.

Thunderbolt should add a detonate mechanic like Penta. Thunderbolt would be useful then....well utility at least.