The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Typhus - The Parasite Warframe

RedSkittlez

Oddly 3 of his 4 current abilities sound like the game prototype. Devour sounds like the whipfist where he could grab enemies at a distance and consume them. The ribcage sounds like his critical mass devastator where hardened tendrils came out of his back in all directions and impaled enemies. The forth sounds like his other devastator where he punched the ground and spikes erupted all around him impaling enemies and those it didnt outright kill it damaged heavily and stunned. No implication of plagerism of course just an funny coincidence.

Oddly 3 of his 4 current abilities sound like the game prototype. Devour sounds like the whipfist where he could grab enemies at a distance and consume them. The ribcage sounds like his critical mass devastator where hardened tendrils came out of his back in all directions and impaled enemies. The forth sounds like his other devastator where he punched the ground and spikes erupted all around him impaling enemies and those it didnt outright kill it damaged heavily and stunned. No implication of plagerism of course just an funny coincidence.

That is kind of a weird coincidence... But even Prototype bit off of John Carpenter's apple, Cell from Dragon Ball did it too, and Nihei did the "Alien Virus turns special people into viral powered super-men" angle a bit better. Its hardly a new idea, mate...

Not trying to come down on you, but Red hasn't played Prototype. 

Edited by Teqnologyque

That is kind of a weird coincidence... But even Prototype bit off of John Carpenter's apple, Cell from Dragon Ball did it too, and Nihei did the "Alien Virus turns special people into viral powered super-men" angle a bit better. Its hardly a new idea, mate...

Not trying to come down on you, but Red hasn't played Prototype.

Was talking about the attacks specifically not the idea.

Isn't that the same basic thing?

The powers come from the theme, am i rite?

No. The thing consumed other living things and assumed their shape. It didn't shoot out spike needles or anything like that. The closest thing to what you're thinking of is dead space. Also the movie the thing is based on the book Who Goes There? So it wasn't even Carpenter's idea.

No. The thing consumed other living things and assumed their shape. It didn't shoot out spike needles or anything like that. The closest thing to what you're thinking of is dead space. Also the movie the thing is based on the book Who Goes There? So it wasn't even Carpenter's idea.

Yes, actually, the Thing did shoot out tendrils and spikes. Its been a while since I've seen it, but I remember clear as day when the Thing shot Bennings and dragged him into the darkness to make some sexy love to his nostrils and other orifices. 

Necromorphs are another one that bit off the Carpenter Apple. 

The Monster from "Who Goes There" was more like Frankenstein's monster, Carpenter took the idea, and made it his own, giving us bar-none one of the most iconic movie monsters ever. 

Thing%206.jpg

As you can see, not very intimidating, right?

How about this?

thing006.gif

Holy S#&$! That's more like it!

Or how about Parasyte?

Same basic idea.

Look at this Thing (Huehue) 

And just look at these things! 

Holy S#&$! Its almost like John Carpenter defined an entire trope all on his own!

Oh wait. He did.

Keyword: Based On the book.

Teqno' is right, you know. I've seen the original "Who Goes There" movie. It is completely different from John Carpenter's work.

Though true, the Thing was based on the story from Who Goes There, but that's the keyword to remember; Based On.

Edited by RedSkittlez

I haven't been hostile towards you yet you feel the need to be that way towards me. I admit I was wrong about the Carpenter part but it still stands the moves are carbon copies of prototypes moves.

I wasn't trying to be hostile, we're just telling the truth, my friend.

If you think my powers are carbon copied from Prototype, that's your prerogative. But its easy to point out who copied who. You could almost say everybody's riffing off of some one ease's idea. As a society we've gotten to the point where its almost impossible to say anything is truly original.

I'm sure I could list a few if I tried hard enough, but lets be honest, that still wouldn't go back to the original source.

I could tell you, but you can believe me or not; I've never played Prototype, in fact. Truth be told, I based Typhus almost entirely off of John Carpenter's The Thing. But hey, I could have just as easily been inspired for the idea from Dead Space, or Guyver, or Parasyte, or Nihei's Abara, or Cell from Dragon Ball Z, or Biomega, or Knights of Sidonia.

Edited by RedSkittlez

Just to say I like the idea of the warframe I just don't understand how most of the abilities are parasitic. If the 1st ability instead of pulling off flesh the tendril implanted an egg sack on the enemy that hatched a second or two after being put on the target and proceed to have worms burrow into its flesh and devour it from the inside while giving health to the main parasite(the warframe) then I'd call it parasitic. The tendrils could also do damage upon contact so it wouldn't be useless against mechanical enemies.

I wasn't trying to be hostile, we're just telling the truth, my friend.

If you think my powers are carbon copied from Prototype, that's your prerogative. But its easy to point out who copied who. You could almost say everybody's riffing off of some one ease's idea. As a society we've gotten to the point where its almost impossible to say anything is truly original.

I'm sure I could list a few if I tried hard enough, but lets be honest, that still wouldn't go back to the original source.

I could tell you, but you can believe me or not; I've never played Prototype, in fact. Truth be told, I based Typhus almost entirely off of John Carpenter's The Thing. But hey, I could have just as easily been inspired for the idea from Dead Space, or Guyver, or Parasyte, or Nihei's Abara, or Cell from Dragon Ball, or Biomega, or Knights of Sidonia.

I wasn't referring to you; you have been respectful but your number one fan boy on the other hand has not. Also there is another post on page 177. Just an idea though. Edited by (XB1)Demon Intellect

Just to say I like the idea of the warframe I just don't understand how most of the abilities are parasitic. If the 1st ability instead of pulling off flesh the tendril implanted an egg sack on the enemy that hatched a second or two after being put on the target and proceed to have worms burrow into its flesh and devour it from the inside while giving health to the main parasite(the warframe) then I'd call it parasitic. The tendrils could also do damage upon contact so it wouldn't be useless against mechanical enemies.

Considering the Mutalist Virus can affect mechanical entities such as Moa, and Ospreys, it can totally infect machines, so yeah it would hurt them. Its not that Devour is 'Only' ripping out flesh to consume, it strikes like a whip, which can still cause Trauma. Not a lot of Trauma, considering the armour some of the enemies in Warframe use, but enough to put a bit of hurt on someone.

If you read the theme, and concept, Typhus is a type of Macro-Parasite, like a Remora or a Leech. Not so much like the Tarantula Hawk Wasp, or Cordyceps Fungus. The Warframe feeds on the Operator, thus, the Operator needs to replenish his body using the power of the warframe. Also, it is possible that a parasite can have a mutually parasitic bond to its host, the information in in my OP, under physiology.

Considering the Mutalist Virus can affect mechanical entities such as Moa, and Ospreys, it can totally infect machines, so yeah it would hurt them. Its not that Devour is 'Only' ripping out flesh to consume, it strikes like a whip, which can still cause Trauma. Not a lot of Trauma, considering the armour some of the enemies in Warframe use, but enough to put a bit of hurt on someone.

If you read the theme, and concept, Typhus is a type of Macro-Parasite, like a Remora or a Leech. Not so much like the Tarantula Hawk Wasp, or Cordyceps Fungus. The Warframe feeds on the Operator, thus, the Operator needs to replenish his body using the power of the warframe. Also, it is possible that a parasite can have a mutually parasitic bond to its host, the information in in my OP, under physiology.

Typhus isn't a virus from what I've gathered. The egg sack idea could make it so the parasite used the food consumed in lieu of feeding on the warframes host hence regening health. A remora isn't a parasite. It eats parasites off of sharks and other large marine life.

Typhus isn't a virus from what I've gathered. The egg sack idea could make it so the parasite used the food consumed in lieu of feeding on the warframes host hence regening health. A remora isn't a parasite. It eats parasites off of sharks and other large marine life.

Typhus  -  The meaning of the name↓

Typhus is any of several similar diseases caused by Rickettsia bacteria. The name comes from the Greek "Typhos" meaning smoky or hazy, describing the state of mind of those affected with typhus. The causative organism Rickettsia is an obligate parasite bacterium that cannot survive for long outside living cells. Typhus should not be confused with typhoid fever. While "typhoid" means "typhus-like", the diseases are distinct and are caused by different species of bacteria.

Short Bio

He is a parasite-type Warframe that uses organic cutting tendrils and viral compounds to take the target's strengths for himself to bolster his own inherently weak armour and shields. Typhus is a leech, a parasite that knows only how to take from those around him to support himself, rather than his allies.

Parasites that live on the surface of the host are called ectoparasites. Those that live inside the host are called endoparasites (including all parasitic worms). Endoparasites can exist in one of two forms: intercellular parasites (inhabiting spaces in the host’s body) or intracellular parasites (inhabiting cells in the host’s body). Intracellular parasites, such as protozoa, bacteria or viruses, tend to rely on a third organism, which is generally known as the carrier or vector. The vector does the job of transmitting them to the host. An example of this interaction is the transmission of malaria, caused by a protozoan of the genus Plasmodium, to humans by the bite of an anopheline mosquito. Those parasites living in an intermediate position, being half-ectoparasites and half-endoparasites, are sometimes called mesoparasite. (Located in the OP Physiology section, please read the thread)

Apologies, I did get my facts a bit wrong on the Remora, it does eat parasites. But by definition, the Remora is itself a macroparasite, as it uses another lifeform to attract its food source. Thus, a Remora needs a host to survive.
Edited by RedSkittlez

By taking all those facts about parasites onboard, the matter of infecting others especially;

Could Typhus possibly have a power to create copies of himself by infecting enemies?

For a limited time of course.

To not make this just a copy of Nyx and Nekros, how about the infected in turn can infect others, spreading like a real viral infection, creating more infected as it spreads.

This sounds alot like a zombie-ourbreak, haha. Just a thought.

By taking all those facts about parasites onboard, the matter of infecting others especially;

Could Typhus possibly have a power to create copies of himself by infecting enemies?

For a limited time of course.

To not make this just a copy of Nyx and Nekros, how about the infected in turn can infect others, spreading like a real viral infection, creating more infected as it spreads.

This sounds alot like a zombie-ourbreak, haha. Just a thought.

Ya, that's is a possibility, but I made him more like a parasite that feeds of organism. Similar to a Leech.

"Typhus is, however, very far removed from the Infested. Where the Infested seek to consume, assimilate and mutate all biological matter as a means of reproduction, Typhus leeches the biological matter off enemies only to support the wearer."

Edited by RedSkittlez

Parasites that live on the surface of the host are called ectoparasites. Those that live inside the host are called endoparasites (including all parasitic worms). Endoparasites can exist in one of two forms: intercellular parasites (inhabiting spaces in the host’s body) or intracellular parasites (inhabiting cells in the host’s body). Intracellular parasites, such as protozoa, bacteria or viruses, tend to rely on a third organism, which is generally known as the carrier or vector. The vector does the job of transmitting them to the host. An example of this interaction is the transmission of malaria, caused by a protozoan of the genus Plasmodium, to humans by the bite of an anopheline mosquito. Those parasites living in an intermediate position, being half-ectoparasites and half-endoparasites, are sometimes called mesoparasite. (Located in the OP Physiology section, please read the thread)

Apologies, I did get my facts a bit wrong on the Remora, it does eat parasites. But by definition, the Remora is itself a macroparasite, as it uses another lifeform to attract its food source. Thus, a Remora needs a host to survive.

it isn't parasitic unless it HARMS the host in some way. The Remora never harms the shark so it's a symbiotic relationship because the shark is parasite free and the Remora gets food.

it isn't parasitic unless it HARMS the host in some way. The Remora never harms the shark so it's a symbiotic relationship because the shark is parasite free and the Remora gets food.

(Located in the OP Physiology section, please read the thread)

Symbiosis - long-term interactions between different biological species, which can be mutualistic, commensal or parasitic.

The definition of symbiosis is controversial among scientists. Some believe symbiosis should only refer to persistent mutualisms, while others believe it should apply to any types of persistent biological interactions (i.e. mutualistic, commensalistic, or parasitic). Current biology and ecology textbooks now use the latter "de Bary" definition or an even broader definition (i.e. symbiosis = all species interactions)

Unlike predators, some parasites do not kill their host. They are also generally much smaller than their host, and will often live in or on their host for an extended period of time. Both are special cases of consumer-resource interactions. Parasites show a high degree of specialization, and reproduce at a faster rate than their hosts. Classic examples of parasitism include interactions between vertebrate hosts and diverse animals such as tapeworms, flukes, the Plasmodium species, and fleas. In rare cases, a parasite may even undergo co-speciation with its host. One particularly remarkable example of co-speciation exists between the simian foamy virus (SFV) and its primate hosts.

A fetus are also can be considered to be "parasites" because they fall in the same category (where one organism benefits at the expense of another.)

So no, not all parasites harms the host.

But if you still not happy, can we just Agree to disagree.

Edited by RedSkittlez

Sorry that I made a popular "mediocre" warframe that eats people's faces and steals there attributes, but I have no power over people liking it. I'm just the guy that does the work. If they like it, they like it.

If you don't like the powers, rather than complaining about it, give me some ideas for powers. I'm willing to listen, I'm not going to bite your head off over it.

Well to start off about the abilities (and please do correct me if I'm wrong), but the way you described them, is that they would all have an animation time and that they are full body animations or at least he can't simply run and spam his abilities like a vauban. However, he seems to be dependent on using his abilities frequently to survive, due to him being a glass cannon, as stated in the op.

So by this logic, the warframe would be somewhat similar to what nova prime is, except with less movement speed and having to stop to cast all abilities.

Here's what I recommend doing (I'm not stating that you should do it at all though): Change some abilities so that they are instant casts or at least you cause some kind of stun to prevent the enemies from killing you while you try and survive for those split seconds of casting the animation.

Please do take under consideration though, that I do think the abilities are interesting and could potentially be fun to use in game, however the way you described the abilities would cause him to start falling off late game, due to the enemies gunning you down within seconds.

(Located in the OP Physiology section, please read the thread)

Symbiosis - long-term interactions between different biological species, which can be mutualistic, commensal or parasitic.

The definition of symbiosis is controversial among scientists. Some believe symbiosis should only refer to persistent mutualisms, while others believe it should apply to any types of persistent biological interactions (i.e. mutualistic, commensalistic, or parasitic). Current biology and ecology textbooks now use the latter "de Bary" definition or an even broader definition (i.e. symbiosis = all species interactions)

Unlike predators, some parasites do not kill their host. They are also generally much smaller than their host, and will often live in or on their host for an extended period of time. Both are special cases of consumer-resource interactions. Parasites show a high degree of specialization, and reproduce at a faster rate than their hosts. Classic examples of parasitism include interactions between vertebrate hosts and diverse animals such as tapeworms, flukes, the Plasmodium species, and fleas. In rare cases, a parasite may even undergo co-speciation with its host. One particularly remarkable example of co-speciation exists between the simian foamy virus (SFV) and its primate hosts.

Unborn babies or a fetus are also can be considered to be "parasites" because they fall in the same category (where one organism benefits at the expense of another.)

So no, not all parasites harms the host.

But if you still not happy, can we just Agree to disagree.

Out of curiosity (I feel like I should now add this to the start of all my inputs here), isn't the link between operator and suit in this case more mutualistic than parasitic?

And if a parasite doesn't harm the host, isn't that supposed to be commensalism?

I get that there are no separate words (as far as I'm concerned at least) for organisms that rely on other types of symbiosis, but then, they aren't strictly parasites either.