Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is The Grinlok Clan-Tech?

Kamal965

Nothing is saying the gun actually is using regular gunpowder. Given the power behind the shots and the availability of Detonite (which is manufactured in the chem lab), the Grinlock might well be shooting bullets propelled by detonite in a stable form.

^True, i don´t think they are using gundpowder, so the energy labs manufactures weapons that use energy as ammo, and the chemical labs manufactures weapons that use detonite infuse ammo. i think it make sense. and remember grinneer cartridges that make no sense for conventional bullets.

Nothing is saying the gun actually is using regular gunpowder. Given the power behind the shots and the availability of Detonite (which is manufactured in the chem lab), the Grinlock might well be shooting bullets propelled by detonite in a stable form.

That sounds like the most reasonable answer, but I'd still have to try it out in game first before knowing for sure. I'd also much prefer a dev reply instead of a hand wave, though.

Hi there, I will admit I caved in and bought the gun with plat, although through my runs with it (3 forma in it now) I have noticed that it does not use a conventional magazine, but rather a hopper much like a paintball gun. Perhaps the pellets are spherical, which explains the low puncture damage, and also the clan tech research, in that a fairly unique propulsion system is required.

Anyways, something to think about.

Edited by stolenname

They have to fill the labs with something.

Pretty much this. They ran out of existing enemy weapons to put in the clantech labs, but creating things exclusively for clantech means not being able to put it on the market to earn real money income.

So while previously there was a pattern for what weapons carried by enemies qualify as clantech which were more complex Grineer weapon, all Corpus energy weapons and infested based technology. The big exception for clantech were logically Tenno weapons. Infact once upon a time there was also the nice idea that the most basic Tenno weapons, which included the Boar, Latron and Furis, were credit weapons. Which made sense since the Tenno themself fabricate them and they were simple enough to mass produce. But eventualy DE moved these to craftable only too, in order to make them more interesting as plat buys.

Same reason they broke the clan tech pattern in order to have something new for the Tenno reinforcements they could put on the market.

Miter (enemy carried plues complex Grineer weapon) Tetra, Petra, Tysis, these all would, according to the old pattern, qualify as clantech only weapons, but they were instead put on the market to get people to buy them early with real money.

However the lack of clantech started to increase annoyance among the clans, which is bad since clans usualy represent long time and dedicated players (also their clan nature means members are more likely to affect each other into buying or not buying things), so they needed to keep up their income from the regularly introduced new weapons, but also to (on the surface) make clans happy by give them something exclusive.

So they decided to make new weapons clantech only TO BUILD and put them on the market to make income with them. Essentialy destroying the old purpose of clantech as something exclusive for players that form into clans. Something they would get for being dedicated players.

The stragnest among the weapons they picked are the dual Cestras because the regular Cestra is buildable from the BPs you can buy on the market, the Akstilleto because they are Tenno tech and therefor would not require any research and now the Grinlok because it's a simple projectile firing Grineer weapons which had in the old pattern excluded from being clantech because they are simple to replicate.

This is not a gift for clan players, this feels like a slap to the face for them because they need to invest larger amounts of resources to get their hands on these weapons that can be bought for plat and a slap in the face for none-clan players too because now they would be forced to join a clan to get their hands on weapons that are not even exclusive.

I don't mind them putting new things on the market as plat buyable, they need the income to keep the game alive, but i would wish for them to be consistent with which items we can get where?

Edited by Othergrunty

Slap in the Karak, Grakata, Hind, Seer and everything else in there since it uses gunpowder.

I wouldn't mind if they did. They should move the rest of the Corpus tech into the Corpus labs as well as the Infested weapons into the Infested labs. So.. +1 to doing this

Corpus weaponry revolve around energy and plasma-based technology, while we use Infested mass (I guess, because, really, there isn't any infested out there that uses guns) to make biological weaponry. The Grineer, being the steam-punk fans they are, like chemically powered weapons, too. The labs (excluding the Tenno lab) don't focus on the faction, they focus on the technology the weaponry of the faction uses. If an energy based weapon was released, and it obviously doesn't belong to the Corpus, do you suppose it won't be added to the energy lab? Since it explicitly states it's the energy lab and not the Corpus lab, I'd hope so.

I understand why they're adding it to clan-tech, but by God I want some damn consistency in their logic.

Why isn't the Penta in the Grineer Chem labs then? It is an explosive.

Edited by Makya

Then slap the Stug in there, or make it... I don't know, shoot exploding slugs, or incendiary rounds or something.

It just doesn't match up.

(also, hi Megan.)

This. I'd rather see the Stug in the lab than the Grinlok.

I mean, Grinlok is powerful, and it's a Grineer weapon, but it doesn't really add anything new in terms of weapon mechanics, which is kinda what I expect to see from clan tech stuff. Frankly, the only two clan tech items I see that belong in there less than the Grinlok does are Dual Cestra and Akstiletto, which, in terms of mechanics, bring nothing new to the table at all.

I wouldn't mind if they did. They should move the rest of the Corpus tech into the Corpus labs as well as the Infested weapons into the Infested labs. So.. +1 to doing this

Why isn't the Penta in the Grineer Chem labs then? It is an explosive.

I wouldn't mind if they're all in there either, but only if it made sense. The whole gunpowder thing is just stupid.

Also, ask DE why it isn't in the chem labs.

I wouldn't mind if they're all in there either, but only if it made sense. The whole gunpowder thing is just stupid.

Also, ask DE why it isn't in the chem labs.

Seeing as not all projectile weapons in our era are just powerder but also explosive jel.. I don see an issue.