Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infested 2.0: New Units And Improvements To Old Ones [Wip]

Paradoxbomb

Made a few changes/additions to Ancients

-Changed the energy drain mechanic for Ancient Disruptors/Warriors. Their shockwave attacks now generate an EMP field that, in addition to draining a moderate percent of your total energy and scrambling the HUD, disables any abilities caught in the blast, even including Iron Skin and Blessing, as well as temporarily preventing any players caught in the shockwave from recasting any new abilities for a brief period of time. Makes Disruptors a significant threat even to God mode frames, without having such a steep long-term penalty against caster frames and melee fanatics.

-Added a few new abilities to the Toxic Ancient, including a miniature Miasma attack, and the ability to lob toxic grenades. In essence, they're a bit like smaller, weaker versions of the J3 Golem.

Too punishing? not punishing enough?

Made a few changes/additions to Ancients

-Changed the energy drain mechanic for Ancient Disruptors/Warriors. Their shockwave attacks now generate an EMP field that, in addition to draining a moderate percent of your total energy and scrambling the HUD, disables any abilities caught in the blast, even including Iron Skin and Blessing, as well as temporarily preventing any players caught in the shockwave from recasting any new abilities for a brief period of time. Makes Disruptors a significant threat even to God mode frames, without having such a steep long-term penalty against caster frames and melee fanatics.

-Added a few new abilities to the Toxic Ancient, including a miniature Miasma attack, and the ability to lob toxic grenades. In essence, they're a bit like smaller, weaker versions of the J3 Golem.

Too punishing? not punishing enough?

I say thats about right.

I had the most amasing idea. A crawler riding a moa. He can be fused on top of it by some organic mass.

...I'm at a loss for words. On one hand, that would be the most ridiculous thing I would ever see. On the other hand, that would also be quite the spectacle (and crawlers might actually be a threat).

Great job, the variety here would go a good way to making the game more enjoyable, at least in my opinion.  And would undoubtedly help improve the theme of the infested in general.  Though I'd ask your opinions on making infested levels more... unique?  The thematics that could change to make you really feel you're in an area overrun by the infested.  Perhaps in long-held infested areas, such as the dark sectors and Orokin Derilect, maybe we could see ghosts?  After all, souls were confirmed to be a scientific fact in the warframe universe via Nekros' soul punch ability.  So ghosts doesn't seem to be that far off, and I'd think it would add to the overall creepy factor even more.  After all, what else is going to happen to many of the tormented souls who had their bodies subsumed by the infestation?  

But that's just a random idea I had.  As well as linking this to my stealth/AI/theme overhaul unification thread.  (as here; https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/219238-fan-unified-stealth-ai-overhaul-ideas-thread/ )

...I'm at a loss for words. On one hand, that would be the most ridiculous thing I would ever see. On the other hand, that would also be quite the spectacle (and crawlers might actually be a threat).

Don't see why we couldn't do it, look at how hydroids got its first ability. I will try and work up some stats and stuff for it.

Darnit man! You always be shoveling out ideas I need to draw!

Y u make wrist hurt :P

Don't worry, your future carpal tunnel will be worth it when it's added. (At least on my end)

Great job, the variety here would go a good way to making the game more enjoyable, at least in my opinion.  And would undoubtedly help improve the theme of the infested in general.  Though I'd ask your opinions on making infested levels more... unique?  The thematics that could change to make you really feel you're in an area overrun by the infested.  Perhaps in long-held infested areas, such as the dark sectors and Orokin Derilect, maybe we could see ghosts?  After all, souls were confirmed to be a scientific fact in the warframe universe via Nekros' soul punch ability.  So ghosts doesn't seem to be that far off, and I'd think it would add to the overall creepy factor even more.  After all, what else is going to happen to many of the tormented souls who had their bodies subsumed by the infestation?  

But that's just a random idea I had.  As well as linking this to my stealth/AI/theme overhaul unification thread.  (as here; https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/219238-fan-unified-stealth-ai-overhaul-ideas-thread/ )

Hard to say what I would do in terms of improving the environments. For the regular missions I suppose it's makes a bit of sense that there's not too much environmental change since the area is supposed to have been recently infested, but a good start would be bringing back those quarantine lights infested tilesets had back in U7, those really set the mood IMO (made those Healers with their vibrant pulses oddly intimidating). Some areas that are more infected than others would do nicely as well, perhaps unique tiles that have infested biomass forming organic roadblocks and hazards.

Outdoor tilesets definitely need the most work though, a mean its the middle of the day and we're using a flashlight? Make the outdoor areas fairly normal, but the indoor area are on lockdown and have the aforementioned quarantine lights going off, and maybe even require the player to slip past the lockdown via the air ducts.

A bit iffy on ghosts, not so much because they couldn't work, I just wouldn't know where to put them myself. It would be kind of interesting if they went Bioshock style with it and had the ghosts tell some kind of story of past events, but that would require a campaign first, so...

Overall it's hard for me to say how to make the environments better, especially since DE already has a new Infested tileset in the works. Perhaps I'll form a solid opinion on it after we see what the new environment holds in store for the Infested.

Also, I appreciate you linking this thread in your own, I'll be sure to check it out :)

Don't see why we couldn't do it, look at how hydroids got its first ability. I will try and work up some stats and stuff for it.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea or anything, I'm just not sure exactly how capable the Technocyte Virus is in terms of infusing robotics into itself,  even with it's Techno-organic nature. Even I considered the Drifter a bit of a stretch, and that's just a glorified mutant barnacle attached to an Osprey. I guess it's my personal opinion, but I feel the virus's incorporation of technological material should be kept as subtle as possible (at least until there's Dev confirmation that the Infestation can in fact incorporate a whole MOA into it's natural designs).

That and you have to admit, a crawler mounted to a pair of robotic legs could come off as a bit... silly. The Infested should be a little bit disturbing aesthetically, and a MOA crawler sounds too humorous to me. (That's not to say I'm against some kind of MOA based unit, but I don't think I would go about it quite like that).

Edited by Paradoxbomb

That and you have to admit, a crawler mounted to a pair of robotic legs could come off as a bit... silly. The Infested should be a little bit disturbing aesthetically, and a MOA crawler sounds too humorous to me. (That's not to say I'm against some kind of MOA based unit, but I don't think I would go about it quite like that).

I'll make it scary ;)

Oh btw heres some progress on the crawlers! (I am a very busy man nowadays, barely have time for this.)

-3 alternate crawler models are done!

-Electric, Toxic, and Lobber (Might rename it to Noxious) Crawler are complete! 

Working on

-Nauseous(Might rename to Viral), Corrosive and Ice crawler.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea or anything, I'm just not sure exactly how capable the Technocyte Virus is in terms of infusing robotics into itself,  even with it's Techno-organic nature. Even I considered the Drifter a bit of a stretch, and that's just a glorified mutant barnacle attached to an Osprey. I guess it's my personal opinion, but I feel the virus's incorporation of technological material should be kept as subtle as possible (at least until there's Dev confirmation that the Infestation can in fact incorporate a whole MOA into it's natural designs)

I do admit the drifter is a bit of a stretch and would not fit in with my propositions to make this logically work. 1) this one is a bit far fetched I must admit. But there can be a physical tennocite and a virtual tennocite "virus". Yeah a horrible idea DE will most likely never adopt. 2) this one is far more reasonable. Think about the human body, its a hard center of bones and squishy muscle and flesh. An organic mas can cover and engulf (more like scantly clad) the moa. The moa as the skeleton, the organic mass as the muscle.

2) this one is far more reasonable. Think about the human body, its a hard center of bones and squishy muscle and flesh. An organic mas can cover and engulf (more like scantly clad) the moa. The moa as the skeleton, the organic mass as the muscle.

That was sort of how Drifters were intended to work but yeah, the robot isn't actually infested, the biomass has simply engulfed the robot and pretty much hitches a ride on it like how a barnacle latches onto a whale (hence that analogy).

So yeah, I could believe that could happen to a MOA as well.

That was sort of how Drifters were intended to work but yeah, the robot isn't actually infested, the biomass has simply engulfed the robot and pretty much hitches a ride on it like how a barnacle latches onto a whale (hence that analogy).

So yeah, I could believe that could happen to a MOA as well.

Well that's not what I intended to mean. Because in the case of a barnicle on a whale the barnacle can not control where the whale goes. While in the the case of the moa, the organic mass gets to play a game of qwop.

Well I'll be. Just visited the most recent Design Council thread today, perhaps the Technocyte Virus is capable of infesting pure machinery after all. Will wait for details, but perhaps this means there can be a whole new line of robot-based Infested if this is the case:

J3 Golem 2.0 looks pretty cool btw, and I'm curious to see if these new robots/structures will join the Corpus ranks as well.

EDIT: Removed the link since I forgot that the DC couldn't really be accessed. Without spoiling too much let's just say that the J3 Golem has quite the mechanical look to himself, may be the case that the Virus can incorporate pure machinery/robots afterall.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Well I'll be. Just visited the most recent Design Council thread today, perhaps the Technocyte Virus is capable of infesting pure machinery after all. Will wait for details, but perhaps this means there can be a whole new line of robot-based Infested if this is the case:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/220186-the-future-of-j3-golem/?p=2551586

J3 Golem 2.0 looks pretty cool btw, and I'm curious to see if these new robots/structures will join the Corpus ranks as well.

Not EVERYPONY is in the DC. Can't you just post the picture here?

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/220186-the-future-of-j3-golem/?p=2551586

Great to hear, now if only I could see it one way or another.

ohgawdwhyabronie?

Can you not access the page without being a member? I assumed nonmembers simply couldn't post comments; I probably shouldn't even link it if that's the case (don't wanna get in trouble).

Can you not access the page without being a member? I assumed nonmembers simply couldn't post comments; I probably shouldn't even link it if that's the case (don't wanna get in trouble).

Yeah... probably.  Or you could ask permission to show us the images or something, idk how DE is on that. 

Anyhow still good to hear on the revamp. 

Yeah... probably.  Or you could ask permission to show us the images or something, idk how DE is on that. 

Anyhow still good to hear on the revamp. 

I'll have to check, in all honestly my membership is recent so I'm not entirely clear on all the rules (all I know from hearsay is that they don't want you sharing certain things, I just didn't realize that link wouldn't work so I guess it's DC exclusive and therefore not ready to be revealed yet).

I'll look into it though, but I don't think I should be sharing it just yet after all :(

I'll have to check, in all honestly my membership is recent so I'm not entirely clear on all the rules (all I know from hearsay is that they don't want you sharing certain things, I just didn't realize that link wouldn't work so I guess it's DC exclusive and therefore not ready to be revealed yet).

I'll look into it though, but I don't think I should be sharing it just yet after all :(

Well congratz to you then for getting in.  I can only hope to get in some day myself, as new as I am.  But oh well, thank you for sharing with us what you have, regardless. 

Also what's your opinion of the infested titan unit mentioned over in this thread? https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/207583-krauserlols-ultimate-corpus-update-threat-the-corpus-shall-rise/

Also what's your opinion of the infested titan unit mentioned over in this thread? https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/207583-krauserlols-ultimate-corpus-update-threat-the-corpus-shall-rise/

Hard to say since there doesn't seem to be too much on it. As I said not long ago, I was orignally on the fence about Infested being too robotic, but after seeing J3's new look an old war machine consumed by the plague doesn't seem to far fetched. I would like to know more about it's attack strategy though since I didn't see anything specific (unless it's there and I just missed it).

Hard to say since there doesn't seem to be too much on it. As I said not long ago, I was orignally on the fence about Infested being too robotic, but after seeing J3's new look an old war machine consumed by the plague doesn't seem to far fetched. I would like to know more about it's attack strategy though since I didn't see anything specific (unless it's there and I just missed it).

I had more suggestions on the point, however the OP has not finalized that yet.  I'm of the mindset of limiting it to melee attacks as an "overgrown" husk of sorts.  In such a case it would depend on enemy position, at long range it would charge, at close range it would stomp and slash a forward 210 degree arc, etc. Whereas Demonologist is under the opinion of giving it limited weapons systems; as to what we haven't decided since we are still debating what the Orokin Titans should have been armed with in the first place.   (if you look through the posts you can see what I suggested on that point) But it would be great if you could join in on the discussion of the topic in general, I know that more minds working together would assist in creating a more ideal outcome.  

But there is a difference between machinery and robotics. Though far fetched the muscle of the organic mass could be moving all the parts in a machine rather than its own energy source. That was my suggestion with the moa, no electricity is still left in the moa and its just a skeleton for the crawler.

I had more suggestions on the point, however the OP has not finalized that yet.  I'm of the mindset of limiting it to melee attacks as an "overgrown" husk of sorts.  In such a case it would depend on enemy position, at long range it would charge, at close range it would stomp and slash a forward 210 degree arc, etc. Whereas Demonologist is under the opinion of giving it limited weapons systems; as to what we haven't decided since we are still debating what the Orokin Titans should have been armed with in the first place.   (if you look through the posts you can see what I suggested on that point) But it would be great if you could join in on the discussion of the topic in general, I know that more minds working together would assist in creating a more ideal outcome.  

I'd have to think on that one. Not to sound like a broken record but I still feel as though the Technocyte has a trend of featuring more biological components than mechanical/robotic and should have a subtle relationship with technology, so I'm not sure what the ratio of Infestation to Machinery would have to be to make it seem fitting. It could have access to some attacks the original counterpart had (like maybe shockwave generators?) but overall I see the virus as either relying more on melee (as you said) or developing their own biological forms of long ranged weaponry.

But there is a difference between machinery and robotics. Though far fetched the muscle of the organic mass could be moving all the parts in a machine rather than its own energy source. That was my suggestion with the moa, no electricity is still left in the moa and its just a skeleton for the crawler.

That was more or less my mindset as well. I could accept either the robot no longer functioning and just being a "skeleton", or (in the case of the Drifter) the proxy still moves around and seeks out the Tenno as it's still operating and following it's original programming, the biomass just happens to be attached to it and takes advantage of the free mobility in order to attack the Tenno.

Anyway, based on this new J3 concept art, I can't really say whether or not the robot/machine/structure is actually infested or if it's just a husk of old Corpus tech that the Golem has simply wrapped itself around. It's pretty early art so there's really no details, all I'm saying is that, much to my disbelief, the Virus may be able to infest robots as well as flesh.

I'll definitely have to follow the thread to see what direction DE goes with this, it will be really nice to go get some more insight on the virus's biology.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

So the Moa crawler I am making looks very similar to an actual moa.

So think tentacle whipping zombie robot moa bird.

My favorite kind of zombiebrobot moa bird!

This also reminds that I should really continue adding concept art as well (I know what I want to do with the Golem Guardian, Ravager, and Chroma, I'm just busy and/or lazy most of the time).