Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

About Dual Wielding

Jin_Lightning

Just a thought, does anyone know if someday we'll be able to wield one pistol/secondary, and then a single-handed melee weapon in the other hand?

Captain Vor does it with Seer and Chronus. More fitting for us Tenno, don't you think?

Also, it would be a great way to make the single pistols more versatile than their dual counterparts!

Thoughts?

-Jin

I like the idea, but I think the coding for that might drive the scripting people insane lol Adding it in as just a cosmetic piece might seem simple, but think of how you would need to activate that animation, what kind of Arsenal options they have to add, the commands they would have to write JUST to make it so your weapons will show up in each hand. Then there is the issue with single and akimbo secondaries, or side arms like despair and hikou that don't have a dual wield animation but still fire from both hands.

My thoughts are that it would be way too difficult to implement it into the game for strictly cosmetic use. For making it an option for weapon use and damage effects, I think it would be even MORE difficult.

Besides, you wouldn't want to use a melee weapon in your off hand, nor would you want to use a gun in the off hand. Unless you're ambidextrous, it's just uncomfortable ;o

I like the idea, but I think the coding for that might drive the scripting people insane lol Adding it in as just a cosmetic piece might seem simple, but think of how you would need to activate that animation, what kind of Arsenal options they have to add, the commands they would have to write JUST to make it so your weapons will show up in each hand. Then there is the issue with single and akimbo secondaries, or side arms like despair and hikou that don't have a dual wield animation but still fire from both hands.

My thoughts are that it would be way too difficult to implement it into the game for strictly cosmetic use. For making it an option for weapon use and damage effects, I think it would be even MORE difficult.

Besides, you wouldn't want to use a melee weapon in your off hand, nor would you want to use a gun in the off hand. Unless you're ambidextrous, it's just uncomfortable ;o

I can understand that, but you never know, right?

and personally, I could use a firearm or blade in either hand, but that's me I guess.

-Jin

It could be done; but to make it work, wielding both means you lose secondary zooming capability (since shoot/left mouse button => secondary , zoom/right mouse button => melee). Based on that, it would be more inclined to style only rather than function (since melee in Warframe is already bound as one-button quick-melee action) : \

Edited by Athros

It could be done; but to make it work, wielding both means you lose secondary zooming capability (since shoot/left mouse button => secondary , zoom/right mouse button => melee). Based on that, it would be more inclined to style only rather than function... : \

That's okay to, because some people don't use charge attacks on weapons like Dakra Prime.

The lack of zoom is part of the sacrifice I mentioned in my last post. An even tradeoff.

But I think Charge attacks could still work. Instead of higher dmg, maybe a higher chance to proc???

-Jin

Just a thought, does anyone know if someday we'll be able to wield one pistol/secondary, and then a single-handed melee weapon in the other hand?

Captain Vor does it with Seer and Chronus. More fitting for us Tenno, don't you think?

Also, it would be a great way to make the single pistols more versatile than their dual counterparts!

Thoughts?

-Jin

Soon™

Count Glaive too, you need a backup while that Disc is flying 

Hmm, maybe, but then it would be good to have 2 different dmg types at your fingertips.

Example: Maybe a single Vasto, speced for Magnetic dmg, and the Glaive speced for extreme Slash dmg, you have a Corpus killer setup right there.

Wonderful possibilities, and perfect for people who like to dance in and out of melee range!

I didn't know this already had aa forum post. Maybe they'l merge the two, so we take up less space.

Soon™

Reeeeeeealy now???

-Jin

Other than for a visual affect. I don't see any benefit to this setup. Since we switch to melee weapons instantly there wouldn't be much gain.

If this is for visual effect and its optional then I have no problem with it.

One thing we should be asking for is a faster switching of primary and secondary weapon. That is a frustrating issue.

Well it's not like this is an original idea. It's definitely doable and it could simply be a small "link" button between secondary and melee that is activatable when the conditions are met. They'd just their own mods each separately so no big deal there. 

Animating would be a little harder. Pistols have a fine single handed animation, and they're redoing all the melee animations for melee 2.0 anyways.  

I think the bigger issue is how this would be implemented in to gameplay. We can not gun and slash in two separate directions at the same time, even if it was implemented, the restraints of the games aiming would hinder this. The camera is positioned behind our warframes shoulder. If we were watching a more top down experience this might be more doable with a little effort but I don't think it's feasibly implementable from a mechanics perspective. 

Could you use either to any great effect though?

Yes I can.

Other than for a visual affect. I don't see any benefit to this setup. Since we switch to melee weapons instantly there wouldn't be much gain.

If this is for visual effect and its optional then I have no problem with it.

One thing we should be asking for is a faster switching of primary and secondary weapon. That is a frustrating issue.

Sometimes, visual flair is all people want. Nothing wrong with that, right?

I can't see that tiny pic, sorry...

-Jin

It just makes no sense to do this in the current warframe...

Melee is as instant as it get's. It's as if the warframes have their melee weapons at the ready when you use it as it activates instantly even if you were holding a rocket-launcher the second before, instantly the rocket-launcher is on your back and out comes the sword. 

A tactical knife just makes no sense in Warframe, nor do I see how it would ever be more viable than dual-wielding two of the same weapon. 

I can't really imagine how it'd be implemented either. Would the tactical knife take up the melee slot in the arsenal? If so what happens if you're currently using an akimbo'ed weapon? For instance AkLEX... Does one LEX disappear while the LEX remaining get's all the statistical benefits of the Akimbo'ed version? 

Edited by TwiceDead

Thoughts?

-Jin

Yeah I do agree with that... In the codex it says, and I quote. "We gave them weapons of the old ways. Gun and Blade." Is it really that unthinkable?

It just makes no sense to do this in the current warframe...

Melee is as instant as it get's. It's as if the warframes have their melee weapons at the ready when you use it as it activates instantly even if you were holding a rocket-launcher the second before, instantly the rocket-launcher is on your back and out comes the sword. 

A tactical knife just makes no sense in Warframe, nor do I see how it would ever be more viable than dual-wielding two of the same weapon. 

I can't really imagine how it'd be implemented either. Would the tactical knife take up the melee slot in the arsenal? If so what happens if you're currently using an akimbo'ed weapon? For instance AkLEX... Does one LEX disappear while the LEX remaining get's all the statistical benefits of the Akimbo'ed version? 

Melee attacks are nearly instant true but holstering is a bit long thus if you keep sword/knife/whatever in your hand you dont need to holster it and melee/gun gameplay will be more fluid.

Melee/gun combo will probably never be as good as dual guns(i really hope im wrong and melee2.0 will fix it) but melee combos with occasional shots between swings might actually work and be pretty cool too

Simple, we already have animations for 1 handed melee and 1 handed guns, whenever you carry package you use only 1 hand(for some time longsowrds also used that animation idk if its still in game) and hopefuly melee 2.0 will add even more so it wont be a problem. As for dual weapons its quite simple, equipped dual weapons?? then you cant use melee/gun combo. You wont be making new weapon for this but instead use what we already have, longswords and single daggers.

Actually it might work and i think its a great idea.

Edited by Davoodoo

Melee attacks are nearly instant true but holstering is a bit long thus if you keep sword/knife/whatever in your hand you dont need to holster it and melee/gun gameplay will be more fluid.

Melee/gun combo will probably never be as good as dual guns(i really hope im wrong and melee2.0 will fix it) but melee combos with occasional shots between swings might actually work and be pretty cool too

Simple, we already have animations for 1 handed melee and 1 handed guns, whenever you carry package you use only 1 hand(for some time longsowrds also used that animation idk if its still in game) and hopefuly melee 2.0 will add even more so it wont be a problem. As for dual weapons its quite simple, equipped dual weapons?? then you cant use melee/gun combo. You wont be making new weapon for this but instead use what we already have, longswords and single daggers.

Actually it might work and i think its a great idea.

Exactly, thank you for the support!

Also, not just with Captain Vor, but alot of pictures show this exact thing.

Perhaps DE is cooking up something??

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130626222016/warframe/images/1/1a/Excalibur_Wallpaper.jpg

-Jin

It all depends on how Melee 2.0 and their 'combo' system is going to work. If we're going with a dagger/pistol combo, it could be something as simple as 'left click to fire pistol, right click to stab with dagger'.

It would also be more likely for the dagger/pistol combo to be a weapon in and of itself, instead of a freeform combination of two existing weapons (so that they can tweak the number for balance easier, rather than trying to balance each sidearm and melee weapon ti fit this new dynamic).

I mean, if they're going to introduce this at all, which I doubt will happen any time soon.