Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Puncture: What Is Puncture And What Is It Good For

wetava

Question

Question:

Hello guys,

i've already took a view into the wiki but i couldnt find anything.

What exactly is Puncture (Seeking Force etc.) good for and when is it worth using it?

Greetings

Answer:

- It allows your bullets to pass through solid objects, whether obstructions or enemies

- They tended to be rather overpowered before update 7, as you had them coming in flavors of multiple meters of penetration, allowing you to hit multiple enemies in a row or just fire through thick containers to kill enemies on the other side.

Right now they are only good for hammering through grineer shields or light cover, but they are rather expensive for that.

- Currently Puncture upgrades like that: .1, .1, .2, .2, .3, .3 etc. (metres)

I hope that will also help other people like me to understand what Puncture actually is.

Thanks to all the people who posted in that Topic.

Edited by wetava

23 answers to this question

I always assumed Puncture was the chance of your bullets pass through the enemy, and hitting whatever is behind as well..

At least from the image, that's what it looks like to me..

Like with the Paris, when you get 2 kills for 1 arrow..

Edited by whitehorus

It allows your bullets to pass through solid objects, whether obstructions or enemies.

Useful, but, doesn't really seem to add any damage and could be used for other things.

Might be worth using for stealth missions with the Paris bow + Enemy Radar to take enemies out behind walls/etc. (no idea how much puncture you need to go through walls... or if it's possible)

It shows you how far the projectile will go after hitting an object or enemy in meters (or some similiar unit like yards). They are expensive to upgrade and expensive to use in terms of comsumed power. They tended to be rather overpowered before update 7, as you had them coming in flavors of multiple meters of penetration, allowing you to hit multiple enemies in a row or just fire through thick containers to kill enemies on the other side.

Right now they are only good for hammering through grineer shields or light cover, but they are rather expensive for that.

Puncture USED to be insanely amazing, since it would cap out at 5 meters for some weapons, and 10 meters for others, which meant it would go through ten meters of solid matter. You could shoot in an enemy's general direction through a wall, and kill them instantly, or do the lockdown trick to force more and more and more grineer or corpus to appear on the other side of a lockdown door...Kill them, do the trick, kill some more, etc. It was a great way to kill upwards of 800 Grineer in a single mission.

Now, Puncture has a mere 0.1 range, which translates into 10 centimeters. At max, most weapons will see 0.35 Puncture at a 15 energy cost.

Which is absolutely stupid expensive. If you want Puncture, go use the Paris. It has a natural 1 meter puncture.

No, it's actually fine. Only if it energy consumption was a bit lower...

how can you make double-hit if puncture is only 0.1m ?

Also I think leveling up puncture mod/card is broken? Unlocking level 2 still leaves puncture at 0.1m. Level 3 gives 0.2m.

Edited by Strac_CRO

- Currently Puncture upgrades like that: .1, .1, .2, .2, .3, .3 etc. (metres)

As far as I know, it ranks up as following: 0.1 -> 0.15 -> 0.2 -> 0.25 -> 0.3 -> 0.35

But it only shows one digit after the decimal point.

Explanation:

Max rank is 5.

Once you reach rank 4, the puncture hits 0.3

If rank 5 didn't hit 0.35, but 0.3 instead, as displayed, then there would be no reason to upgrade it to rank 5.

As far as I know, it ranks up as following: 0.1 -> 0.15 -> 0.2 -> 0.25 -> 0.3 -> 0.35

But it only shows one digit after the decimal point.

Explanation:

Max rank is 5.

Once you reach rank 4, the puncture hits 0.3

If rank 5 didn't hit 0.35, but 0.3 instead, as displayed, then there would be no reason to upgrade it to rank 5.

You are right. Shotgun with 0 rank puncture doesn't work against shields, but with 1 rank already shoots through them.