Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Most Essential Thing For Melee 2.0

adoomgod

Asides from an all around damage buff for melee weapons, melee weapons must become MORE MOBILE or they will have little to no place in Warframe compared to guns and abilities.

Even if a melee weapon hits like a truck, if i have to lug it around from one enemy to another where I could just stand still and kill tons at once with some gunfire, it won't be viable.

I am worried because I heard "daggers will let you sprint faster" etc. I hope that's significantly faster. As for weapons like Galatine, it's ok if you still move slow, but there should be soft targeting lunges. That you can point at enemy and do a lunging strike, which you have to follow through thus creating some drag before you lunge again. 

Without mobility, melee won't ever compete with guns.

They also need to rework the knockdown system entirely for melee to work without frustration.

They have said that daggers and other light weapons will increase your speed, counter strike style. Heavy weapons will keep your current speed, but when you do catch them its gg-wp-nore

I'm a bit worried there. If melee 2.0 is not viable, you'll never see heavy weapons again when the motto of the game is "Gotta go fast".

This update can't come soon enough !

Edited by Hyunsai

Mobility is nice, but i don't want some exploitable nonsense like zorencoptering

They removed zorrencoptering (not completely but put a cooldown on it) around when Nova was released. S#&$ hit the fan FAST and DE reverted it by the next major update. The community wants that mobility, and it makes slow frames like frost and no vanguard rhino viable.

That said, if there was an alternative to zorrencoptering, I'd be down to remove it.

.That said, if there was an alternative to zorrencoptering, I'd be down to remove it.

There is. Zepher. No other warframe is entitled to flight, there is no need for an alternative to the bug you exploit. And if you've got a need for speed, there is no shortage of teamwide buffs for that, like volt's speed and the sprint boost aura. 

I am worried because I heard "daggers will let you sprint faster" etc. I hope that's significantly faster. As for weapons like Galatine, it's ok if you still move slow, but there should be soft targeting lunges. That you can point at enemy and do a lunging strike, which you have to follow through thus creating some drag before you lunge again. 

when you said this it made me think of assassins creed on how you can chain melee 1 hit kills in mid to low levels rather than the current system

shudder*

if that is what you were referring to than i would actually use forma on my melee weapons.

i recall the DE mentioning that if you time a counter at the right time you get a bonus. so if you time the hit right, then you"lock" on near-by targets and you pull some assassins creed bs and chain together a bunch of 1-hit-kills on low to mid levels thus making melee more viable

but on higher level targets or ones that survive the first hit then you can chain multi-hits on the same targets.

however to prevent firearms from being "obsolete" each type of weapon has a base number chain-able kills that can be increased with mods

example :

daggers: 9 chain-able hits

axe's  8

swords:7

scythes: 5

great swords:3 

pole arms:3

Edited by DiddlyMcGee

They removed zorrencoptering (not completely but put a cooldown on it) around when Nova was released. S#&$ hit the fan FAST and DE reverted it by the next major update. The community wants that mobility, and it makes slow frames like frost and no vanguard rhino viable.

That said, if there was an alternative to zorrencoptering, I'd be down to remove it.

They should just turn coptering into a feature, not a glitch. There should be a separate spin attack animation for when we're airborne.

Right now, the quick twirl followed by fully-relaxed upper body and legs twirling at eight billion miles an hour isn't cutting it.

Edited by SortaRandom

They kind of were already viable, I was using Frost for a long time without even knowing what coptering was and falling behind wasn't a major concern at all.  Coptering is an ugly mechanic that we need to put behind us imo.  More people know how to copter than to wall jump...

I Think "Interesting" is going to be secondary to the "Frustrating" aspect of melee: if ancients still auto-knockdown, sap all your energy and then you get mobbed by Leapers, it isn't going to be much more fun than just shooting everything in the face.

The same applies for scorpions, shield lancers, heavies and anti-moas. While a good amount of challenge is healthy, the Pinball Effect is anything but. And that's what I feel is the ultimate consideration for melee, in the end, especially if they're serious about melee being end-game competitive.

There is. Zepher. No other warframe is entitled to flight, there is no need for an alternative to the bug you exploit. And if you've got a need for speed, there is no shortage of teamwide buffs for that, like volt's speed and the sprint boost aura. 

My point was that something that the community has had and used since day 1 cannot be taken away or nerfed without an alternative.

Saying that "Oh your favorite frame is frost? Well sorry, but we are taking away your only way to keep up with the volt or zephyr on your squad. Oh you fell behind and died? Well there is a way to be faster, and thats to lose power usage and shields for a speed mod." is a bit much imo.

This is a "ninja" game, and ninjas are fast. I say zorren coptering is a mechanic in the game that should not be removed unless there is something to take its place. 

OR

Just fix the animation, and make it a solid, and encouraged game mechanic. For instance, in the up coming end game, there is a jump you need to make that only class powers like Tail Wind or slash dash can make. OR a properly executed Copter jump. Would add depth to the movement system.

Edited by Black-Nasty

my only hope is that you can do a lunging spinning attack with the galantine like in berserker.

is cutting 10 enemies in half so much to ask?

I love the Galantine, right now though it's so much fun already that I don't really mind.  Hold, run, dash, slash can get a heck of a lot of killing done.  You can cleave through a whole room as is.  Removing the limit on how many enemies can be cut in one slash would be nice though, not quite sure what a lunging spinning attack is.

I love the Galantine, right now though it's so much fun already that I don't really mind.  Hold, run, dash, slash can get a heck of a lot of killing done.  You can cleave through a whole room as is.  Removing the limit on how many enemies can be cut in one slash would be nice though, not quite sure what a lunging spinning attack is.

basically its a vertical zorencopter

my only hope is that you can do a lunging spinning attack with the galantine like in berserker.

is cutting 10 enemies in half so much to ask?

Mmm, sounds juicy. Or better yet, why not something like a spinning-dash buzzsaw? You just hack away 360 at whatever's in your way, decapitating and utterly devastating any object in your path. The viscera and barbaric power of melee should be played up, and the sheer brutality of your swings should send corpses flying and tumbling away.

Bloody chunks of brain and pieces of skull scatter across the room, a veil of crimson floating in the air; Blades cleaving helpless bodies in twain, enemies stupidly crowding together like chickens about to be beheaded; Gratuitous violence inflicted on flying corpses, simply because they were unfortunate enough to still be in mid-air as you move to your next victim; Ravaging every orifice of your enemy's body as he screams, clutching helplessly as life seeps from his cavities.

I personally can't wait to see Magistar in Melee 2.0. I highly anticipate some savage beating of my enemies as the sheer weight of my mace slams into their broken bodies and send them flying with each mighty swing.

If you can't clear a crowd with melee faster than you can with a gun, it probably won't be worth using melee. So I'm kind of hoping that either melee gets a significant utility buff, damage buff, or have no target limits, because my poor Pangolin Sword detests slicing through thin air after inflicting one blow. It's almost pathetically like World of Warcraft combat.

Even heavy weapons can add increased mobility. Let us LUNGE to our enemies, then slow down as our swing follows through and then lunge to another enemy. But make it stamina dependent and make it take a lot. 

Let me reiterate the main message of this thread: If melee 2.0 doesn't give all melee weapons better lunges and mobility on top of the flat damage buff all around, it still won't be that viable compared to guns.

am I the only one that thinks melee 2.0 will still suck

I mean if we get stunlocked we die

if we are slow, we die before even getting to the enemy, I mean at higher levels they are deadly unless you don't expose yourself too much (a second can sometimes be too much)

having to hit mutiple times with a melee weapon before they die makes you die

unless you are invisible or invincible and Rhino's iron skin doesn't even hold up at higher levels

last stream they said they were scared of releasing it too soon because we expected too much

I can see another system but still fail coming