Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Is Not An Mmo

Etsoree

None of which have anything like the invasion system where what other people are doing affects your game.

What about minecraft? You wanna call that an MMO now too? :P

Also the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer had community events. That was already mentioned above though

Edited by SteeleTheShow

Massively Multiplayer Online game? Seems like it is.

It just uses raw instances rather than massive communal rooms, while many MMOs use both. Devs have mentioned that the planned "Death Of the Solar Map" will lead to more common areas for Tenno, though its unknown if these will just be communal public spots or ones open to PvE combat.

WoW is a MMO. Wildstar is a MMO. Everquest is a MMO.

Warframe is not a MMO

When the PSO style hubs come we can call kiiiiinda call it an MMO. Not really, more like a pseudo MMO really, as it we still don't have the larger scale raiding/cooperation that PSO has to make it fit more into the MMO space.

Just because you see MMObomb or MMOhub or the million other "MMO" prefixed sites cover every F2P game that crosses their line of sight doesn't mean it's an MMO.

Edited by SolidSp33d

WoW is a MMO. Wildstar is a MMO. Everquest is a MMO.

Warframe is not a MMO

When the PSO style hubs come we can call kiiiiinda call it an MMO. Not really, more like a pseudo MMO really, as it we still don't have the larger scale raiding/cooperation that PSO has to make it fit more into the MMO space.

I think even then a pseudo MMO would be stretching it. Just because you can see the avatar (instead of the name) of potentially hundreds of other players does not an MMO make simply because squad size is still limited to 4

but good point. I agree

Edited by SteeleTheShow

It's a stretch, but i think it is.

Consider MMOBAs and instance MMORPGs.

One thing i like though, 

I do not have to waste bandwidth going into crowded areas

I do not have to read or see Trading messages

I can play with only the people i want to play with

I can also choose to play with random people if i want

I think the only thing missing is a place to show off your gear and cosmetic items... lol. I think it's on the way though.

Edited by _Rue_

One thing i like though, 

I thin the only thing missing is a place to show off your gear and cosmetic items... lol. I think it's on the way though.

minecraft fits all these criteria. Even a place to show of all your gear and cosmetic items

Technically, Minecraft is more of a MMO than Warframe. (Note: MMO, not MMORPG), what, with the bigger servers carrying up to 100+ players. :p

That's exactly my point. Minecraft fits the criteria better, yet i don't know anyone who would seriously consider minecraft an MMO.

Edited by SteeleTheShow

One thing i like though, 

I think the only thing missing is a place to show off your gear and cosmetic items... lol. I think it's on the way though.

MMOBAS? lol were did you get that extra M from? If you call MOBAs MMOs I can call Titanfall an MMOFPS. EVERY multiplayer game would be an mmo. And then there is no point in the extra letters.

Edited by SolidSp33d

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's hardly going to taste of beef.

Good one :)

But as Mmo. means "massively multiplayer online"

it requires a big open world map, where theres alotta players sharing the same map...

WF is "just" a CO-OP game with light char. progression elements..

Depends on how you view things.  In the literal definition, a game like warframe would be considered an mmo.

When compared to most of what anyone would call an mmo, Warframe is more of a "online action shooter-game" than a mmo.

With the upcoming stations/lobbies, however, warframe should be safe to call a mmo

DE_Steve referred to it as an "MMO-lite"... I think that's accurate.

If one of the Devs can call it an MMO variant, I'll accept that it is.

Phantasy Star Online was considered to be an MMO and the Team/Mission setup was used there as well.

Global Agenda is an Online Team Based game (I wish a Warframe mission map was that expansive)

Warframe is not an MMOrpg but an action title.

What Warframe definitely isn't is a pure Shooter. This seems to be the concept so many languish under.

I do wish it would concretely define its' niche though.  It's attracted both Shooter and MMO audiences and they don't appear to play well together.

The amount of content and replay-ability to the game is quite massive. I've played for an upwards of 1500 hours so far which I'm sure can't be attributed to a lot of these game you claim could also fit as an MMO.

A lot of MMO's have a huge amount replay-ability even if the content is lacking. There are people who play end game of many MMO's for hundreds of hours when the actual end game consists of a few bosses and raids and a bunch of quests.

Dude...the Massive in Massively Multiplayer Online game refers to the player count (playing in the same environment) among a variety of things. By the logic you just proposed Super Mario 3D Land would be an MMO if I could play the co-op online.

If you need a reference for the style of game that befits an mmo just look at WoW or Wildstar. What to know what counts as a pseudo MMO? Look at PSO. Warframe isn't even at the PSO point yet, though it's heading there.

Edited by SolidSp33d

Massively Multiplayer Online game? Seems like it is.

It just uses raw instances rather than massive communal rooms, while many MMOs use both. Devs have mentioned that the planned "Death Of the Solar Map" will lead to more common areas for Tenno, though its unknown if these will just be communal public spots or ones open to PvE combat.

It's just going to be a lobby where you can annoy other players by dancing in front of them before you head over to the mission portal.

Basically the same as

You guys think that only MMORPGs are MMOs. You are wrong.

The technical term is MMORPG

Games that are MMORPG's are getting marketed and discussed as just MMO's. It's been turned into a buzzword.

Edited by sewens

You guys think that only MMORPGs are MMOs. You are wrong.

No one here has talked about RPG aspects. Nothing but player count, persistent world, and the like as topic of discussion. I'd give the posts a bit more of a careful read, dude.

Also the game as a lot of RPG aspects anyway that are growing in number. Just throwing that out there.

Well NO, its not an MMO, like others before the "Massively" referes to many ppl on ONE Map actually playing, which does not happen in WF, it comes closest to an MMO when you have a Clan meeting in your Dojo, but still no real playing there.

Numbers in chats do not count, StarCraft and Mobas are also no MMOs, huge numbers of players, but not on the same MAP.

WF is and OLG COOP "Shooter", and it does its job pretty well!

If we start to get 20+ ppl on one map then you could start to call it an MMO, and hell yeah i would love to see that!

Edited by ThaWolfX

No one here has talked about RPG aspects. Nothing but player count, persistent world, and the like as topic of discussion. I'd give the posts a bit more of a careful read, dude.

Also the game as a lot of RPG aspects anyway that are growing in number. Just throwing that out there.

I read the entire topic ¬¬

I said that because some guys are considering MMO only games like WoW