Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Is Not An Mmo

Etsoree

Never played it actually. Wasn't my style of game neither is halo (non campaign). Found it rather boring and repetitive.

still not an answer, it had a larger playerbase than warframe, had chat, could have more players in a game than warframe can, definatly "Massive", definatly "Multiplayer", definatly "Online".

UT99 has a multitude of gametypes like warframe, weapons had multiple firing modes, it had a ranking system you could check online via NGStats, it was heavily moddable with newer gamemodes etc, had 3rd party ladder/league sites such as Clanbase/Barrysworld/Jolt and more importantly held my interest for about 5-6 years.

DE even co-made the unreal/ut99 games, so that must mean your agreeing that UT99 is an MMO?

Edited by Methanoid

still not an answer, it had a larger playerbase than warframe, had chat, could have more players in a game than warframe can, definatly "Massive", definatly "Multiplayer", definatly "Online".

UT99 has a multitude of gametypes like warframe, weapons had multiple firing modes, it had a ranking system you could check online via NGStats, it was heavily moddable with newer gamemodes etc.

DE even co-made the unreal/ut99 games, so that must mean your agreeing that UT99 is an MMO?

Well by information you give it would fall under the subtype mmofps so by definition that we have of an mmo is that it would be an mmo. Whether or not you personally would call it an mmo is beside the point. If it looks like an apple, tastes like an apple, and came from an apple tree it definitely isn't a walnut.

is...is this MMO??

maybe it is MMO..... 

there are voices.....             telling me its an MMO.......... but what is MMO

MMO....                                 MMO.....            

actually it doesnt matter. lol 

is...is this MMO??

maybe it is MMO..... 

there are voices.....             telling me its an MMO.......... but what is MMO

Quick what do the voices say the lottery numbers are?

unreal is a FPS, as is counterstrike, sof, quake, doom, hexen, heretic, rott, etc etc, just by having more than 1 person able to connect doesnt automagically make a FPS an MMO, that imho is ridiculous.

those older games came first tbh, they defined the genre, just because stuff that shows up later decide to stick a MMO tag on doesnt make them MMO's.

UT99 can do more than warframe of now, yeah warframe looks a lot more flashy but if UT99 had the Gfx engine warframe has, ut99 would blow warframe away tbh, and just because it might end up with a modern gfx engine, it would still remain an Online FPS, it wouldnt suddenly turn into an MMOFPS.

your apple definition is correct, warframe is an Online FPS, it looks like an Online FPS, tastes like an Online FPS and came from the guts of an Online FPS tree, you cant turn it into a wallnut because you want it too.

unreal is a FPS, as is counterstrike, sof, quake, doom, hexen, heretic, rott, etc etc, just by having more than 1 person able to connect doesnt automagically make a FPS an MMO, that imho is ridiculous.

those older games came first tbh, they defined the genre, just because stuff that shows up later decide to stick a MMO tag on doesnt make them MMO's.

UT99 can do more than warframe of now, yeah warframe looks a lot more flashy but if UT99 had the Gfx engine warframe has, ut99 would blow warframe away tbh, and just because it might end up with a modern gfx engine, it would still remain an Online FPS, it wouldnt suddenly turn into an MMOFPS.

your apple definition is correct, warframe is an Online FPS, it looks like an Online FPS, tastes like an Online FPS and came from the guts of an Online FPS tree, you cant turn it into a wallnut because you want it too.

Your examples still fit what we have as definition of mmo and their particular sub genre's whether you personally would call it that is your prerogative, it's till fits the definition by example. Even TCG games fall under casual mmo sub genre (for the guy that asked) which even I didn't realize till I read more upon it.

I think Warframe can be considered an MMO. It has an MMO feel to it. I login into my account and am thrown into the current state of the game. Even when i'm not playing the state of the game changes. They have events and are pushing out many updates over a long period of time. The game has a way for players to give money to the developers through platinum (does any mmo not have this?).The game is constantly chaning. When DE stop supporting the game and shuts of the servers then the game is gone.These are all things that define a game as an MMO to me. Warframe shares similarties to the mmo vindictus. It is also instanced based and limited to 4 players (6-8 in raids and they added 25 man raids) but vindictus has a hub town where players mingle between doing instance dungeons. In town they can pick up missions, buy and sell things, and craft. This sound like what DE want to do with warframe in the future instead of the solar map. 

In fact a game being an MMO at this point seems to be a lot about how the developer treats the game.  Like a business model category with subcategories of f2p, subscription, etc. Any game that has online in the title pretty much becomes an mmo. Metal Gear Online was a 16 person tactical shooter but because you logged in, could create and customize characters, purchase gear with real money, and its ceased to exist when they shut down the servers it was often considered an mmo.  Other examples are Ghost Recon Online and Super Monday Night Combat. If they were just multiplayer modes of single player games I would not consider them mmo's. However, these multiplayer games  exist only as long as they are supported by the developers and they make money by massive amounts of people playing it online in hopes that enough will use the microtransactions to support the game.

With game like battlefield and unreal they exist beyond their multi-player modes. They have single player or bot modes. Even if their mutliplayer died those game can still be played (UT you can host your own matches). They are updated but not to the extent or for as long as mmo's are. Games like diablo 3 are starting to enter mmo territory because they have account logins, auction houses, and blizzard could shut down the servers. GTA V will exist as a game forever but GTA online will die when they shutdown the servers.

I'm way to tired to check this post for any sort of coherency or correct use of the English language. 

tl:dr MMO's are a business model. If someone makes Unreal Tournament Online then UT will be an MMO.

The Massive part refers to the amount of players capable of playing together. In terms of how Warframe handles itself, it's similar to the Monster Hunter Series, easily capable of playing with other people in missions, yet only at 4 at a time, if MH isn't an MMO, Warframe definitely isn't at the moment.

the funniest part about this is monster hunter frontier

MMOs are massive, persistent worlds with thousands of players in 1 map.

1k+ != squads of 4.

No, MMOs are massive persistent environments with thousands of players playing at the same time, they do not have to be on the same map at the same time.

By the definition of the term Warframe is an MMO Third Person Shooter.

No, MMOs are massive persistent environments with thousands of players playing at the same time, they do not have to be on the same map at the same time.

By the definition of the term Warframe is an MMO Third Person Shooter.

It all depends on how you interpret "Massively Multiplayer". I don't consider tons of people talking in a hub to be "Massively Multiplayer". For me and many people, this means a massive amount of people playing at once, sharing a map. 4 people is not massive. Just because there may be 1 million people playing this game at the same time doesn't mean anything, they are all in their own 4-man instances. If you go by your definition, every online game is an MMO - CoD, Halo, Diablo, Unreal Tournament, etc, etc. Warframe also does not have a persistent world, it has levels.

You will still call it an MMO no matter what though, because you have your own perspective that no one is going to change. Same for me. This why it's a really dumb argument. The only reason this argument annoys me at all, is because people calling it an "MMO" seem to have certain expectations like end game raiding and other MMO concepts like thinking you should be able to play only this game over years, and always have something to do. But it's not WoW, and it never will be - it's an action game. By it's nature, you will get burned out and should take breaks from it. MMOs tend to become lifestyles, which Warframe is not.

warframe is an online co-op dungeon crawler.

If people thinks a game has a massive amount of people playing online then it is a MMO, hell that is EVERY game that is playable online. Every online game is a MMO by those standards.

I dunno. Phantasy Star Online 2 is pretty commonly called an MMO, but it's really like a pretty lobby system with instance maps that can support like 20 people per instance when it comes to actual gameplay (or some number like that - it's been a while) while you are by default in squads of 4. Which, honestly, feels a lot like what Warframe plans to be what with the news that DE has released about their lobby system.

Personally, I just call it a coop game that kind of doesn't require any coop.

This argument is comprised of two groups of people: Those who understand language and how the acronym is being used, and those who don't.

Everyone saying Warframe is an MMO is part of the latter. What they are looking at is each word in MMO as a discrete entity with a discrete definition, and then adding it up to a whole descriptor, when it is actually each word is combined to make up a whole new definition and descriptor. By their argument when they see the word term "steel mill" then only mills made out of steel would qualify, when in fact a "steel mill" is a place where steel is made and the mill itself may have very little steel as part of its structure.

Or another example, by their definition the only game that could be called an FPS would be the very first game to ever allow the player to shoot a "person" and it would have nothing to do with the viewing perspective. Or any game that is a strategy game would be an RTS, because every strategy game is "Real" as a product, involves "Time" in some unit, and is a "Strategy" game. And every game is an RPG since technically you are playing a role in a game.

Massive Multiplayer Online is 3 elements combined at once to form a definition, it is not 3 discrete definitions taken separately then combined to make a description. Just like RTS and FPS are three combined elements to form a definition.

To be fair, some acronyms work as multiple discrete definitions, but MMO is not one of them, because of what gave birth to the term in the first place. Take a short trip through history with me.

First we had online strategy games and first person shooters. Often they had chat rooms, but per map they could host only 2-64 players, and maps/games were not persistent. Then comes Ultima Online, Everquest, and Asheron's Call, three RPGS that could host far more than 64 players in a persistent world simultaneously, these were the first games ever to bear the Massive Multiplayer Online appellation, and would be shortened to MMORPG. The MMO was to distinguish their unique feature that could not be found in any other type of online game, that they could have far more players than any FPS/RTS, in a shared gaming space instead of just a lobby; in fact, one of the things that distinguished the MMO was that there was no actual lobby that was separate from the game space, there might be a separate chat function/room, but there was no lobby.

The big three hit it big, and marketers saw this, suddenly they wanted to try to shoe horn MMO onto anything they could, and delightfully abused the term to try to by aggressively trying to push it as 3 discrete terms instead of one whole term, and many players were happy to follow along.

TLDR; Warframe is not an MMO in any sense of the word, unless you also want to redefine what FPS, RTS, RPG, and every other game acronym means.

is...is this MMO??

maybe it is MMO..... 

Twitch plays warframe?

Noone is taking into account that the game is still in Beta

Id call it an MMO myself

This argument is comprised of two groups of people: Those who understand language and how the acronym is being used, and those who don't.

Everyone saying Warframe is an MMO is part of the latter.

Actually, I'm not, but thanks for accusing me, who speaks five languages, of not understanding language.

The key is that Massively is an adverb, not an adjective, so it modifies the adjective multiplayer, rather than standing alone. I'm with you at that part. And if you understood language, your post could have been as short as that sentence.

However, if Warframe weren't massively multiplayer, why would anyone, for instance, care about how anyone else gets the Brakk?

Edited by thegooseking

Anyone who believes Warframe isn't an MMO needs to go back and take a look at the fact that the definition of MMO includes subcategories for: FPS, RTS, MMORPG, and more.

Guess what?  It's an online game designed with a focus on multiplayer permitting instant connection to different groups of players on every mission.  It's an MMO.

Anyone who believes Warframe isn't an MMO needs to go back and take a look at the fact that the definition of MMO includes subcategories for: FPS, RTS, MMORPG, and more.

Guess what?  It's an online game designed with a focus on multiplayer permitting instant connection to different groups of players on every mission.  It's an MMO.

Get out. Where's the "massive" part?

I wasn't aware of my instance of a CoD game having any effect on other people's instances.

Whether I fight Corpus or Grineer on a given map is down to what happened in other people's instances. Badlands will only extend that idea, that what other people are doing will affect my game. By any reasonable definition, they are playing in the same game as I am. Even if it's instanced, the instance is not isolated.

Also interesting that you pick Diablo 2 and not Diablo 3. Scared of getting too close to the line? (And no, I don't think Diablo 3 is an MMO, either, but it's closer to being an MMO than Diablo 2.)

I wasn't aware of my instance of a CoD game having any effect on other people's instances.

Whether I fight Corpus or Grineer on a given map is down to what happened in other people's instances. Badlands will only extend that idea, that what other people are doing will affect my game. By any reasonable definition, they are playing in the same game as I am. Even if it's instanced, the instance is not isolated.

Also interesting that you pick Diablo 2 and not Diablo 3. Scared of getting too close to the line? (And no, I don't think Diablo 3 is an MMO, either, but it's closer to being an MMO than Diablo 2.)

They're playing the same game as you. They're not playing the same map/server as you. CoD players all play the same game, too.