Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Think Some Of You Are Getting Your Hopes Up Over Melee 2.0..

Reku1

My intention is to try to understand why people are hyping this so much.

Well if we get what we want we're going to see a far flashier amount of melee combat. You'll see things out of videos not just attacks one can pull off in their back yard.

Melee gloves will each have a seperate way of fighting.

One will have Kung-Fu for example

Another will have boxing,

A third will have access to a Muy Thai set of moves. (Pure short range but vicious.)

You'll see a lot more variety and reason to aquire and use melee weapons giving off a significant amount of uniqueness to a game that's dying for more.

It's more than that. They've put together an entire animation set for that weapon. Perfectly done for combat trained Maul class weapon user. The style fits ideally with what you expect. Its no small change. It used to be the 2h sword weapons style. It's now completely its own weapon. The Charge is flashy, but everything that weapon does now is exactly how you expect that weapon to react in a fight.

I think Geoff commented about it in a devstream, it wasn't supposed to look like that bad animation at the beginning, lol. He said they were tired and it kind of slipped out with that animation, the new animation is what they wanted on it before. I think before you would actually swing it against the jet, hahah.

Seems I was mistaken then...

If you have one take a chance to go through its full weapon combat set and watch it closely. You'll notice the differences and it isnt as simple as the head landing in the right spot. They really went through a lot of trouble to change that from the 2h sword to its own type of weapon you can feel the weight with each strike. Real hard to translate that. Beautiful work.

They have announced AI 2.0...

We know they're working on it, we don't know when it's coming but we know it's coming.

When did that happen? I've heard no mention at all of an AI revamp coming..

I'll get my hopes up when they announce AI 2.0

W00t ! A brand new sadistic AI

Die in a misison, and a  Grineer Butcher teabags you and takes your stuff.

In all seriousness the melee 2.0 thing is something to be cautiously optimistic about, but not hype worthy at this point.

If melee 2.0 can't provide KD/KB/Stagger relief it won't be worth using as melee range will still be the most dangerous place to be without some form of CC protection.

On the plus side , it will be something new for the melee fans and they deserve something new.

Edited by Padre_Akais

still tho, ittl be funny watching ppl try their new melee skills, only to get shot to bits, if we have weak frames now that are highly likely to die in melee range then they still probably will in melee2.0, they will just look more flashy and outstanding as they die in style.

/me prepares to revive melee'ing embers/novas/etc

still tho, ittl be funny watching ppl try their new melee skills, only to get shot to bits, if we have weak frames now that are highly likely to die in melee range then they still probably will in melee2.0, they will just look more flashy and outstanding as they die in style.

/me prepares to revive melee'ing embers/novas/etc

What will seriously be funny is if 2.0 is a hit and AOE skills are practically banned from groups.

I just don't see that happening though. As far as i can tell they're just slapping on more dmg mods specific to certain kill animations. Still going to be far better to point and click with a gun.

Killing with style is definitely better than shooting an enemy.

OP, I think you need to do more research.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about... or at least, much of it.

Enlighten me then. Other than new animations and mods that add damage to the specific animations, what am i missing/getting wrong?

A.I 2.0

This sounds like mass effect uh oh

Curve stomp when you were down/reviving

Oh no

/me rushes with his infiltrator to revive fallen teammate.

/me reaches teammate.

/me presses key to revive

/me ends up hugging a wall in cover

/me breaks cover frantically trying to reposition for that revive

/me presses key to revive

/me ends up hugging a different nearby wall in cover
/me looks dumb when teammate dies while im playing musical chairs with walls and getting melee'd by the horde of mobs now on me.

^ thats what im often reminded of when reviving in ME3/MP.

I'm with the OP on this.  I don't really get what all the hype is all about with melee 2.0.  I don't even use melee attacks unless if the enemy is really close to me or if I'm going against the Infested faction.  If anything there's going to be a lot of those players who just melee frantically non stop like idiots even though there isn't any enemies in front of them or just rush through a horde of enemies to show how cool they look with their new melee moves once melee 2.0 comes.  Yes I have seen the dev streams and have been keeping up.  Nothing to be excited about unless they implemented a system where you get rewarded for doing melee kills which I don't think they will be adding any of that soon (And no I'm not talking about stealth kills which I am aware of that you can get bonus points for).

I don't see what all the excitement is all about with melee 2.0 when most of the enemies in the game are killed from a distance with either your weapons or powers.  I can already see players cry kill steal just because they wanted to melee an enemy without using any of their weapons or powers.

Edited by Cryo_stasis

Hope is good. But too much hope makes you over-expect. Then you'll find Melee 2.0 underwhelming and not appreciate it. 

I think OP has a point. Getting too hyped up not only gives you disappointment when the result is below your expectations, it also gives a lot of stress to the developers. 

What I'm trying to say is, we should remain positively hopeful, but not to a point where you expect the rework to be the only (effective/long term/permanent) solution to the whole melee problem. 

Have a good day :D

In the last live stream, DE attempted to temper expectations.  They'll be rolling it out over time.  Not all the weapons will have a ton of new animations on day one.

I'm not expecting much other than some flash because the nerf mentality is alive and well at DE.  And the concept doesn't work well in Horde mode except in lower levels.  At higher levels, I expect to get shot to ribbons in the middle of a fancy move.  The demos in the live stream did seem to happen in mid or lower levels where you could get away with standing around in public.

I predicted that Damage 2.0 would be not so hot and the thread got locked because dissent is unpopular in fanboyland.  And, I was right.  But, this time DE has delayed it to do some extra work.  So, maybe it'll be better than usual.  But, I'm not expecting it to be much more than flash.  I doubt it'll compete with a shot to the face.

It's also liable to be a Trojan Nerf Horse like previous stuff we were expected to be excited about.  Wouldn't surprise me if they took this as another opportunity to cut down the enemy levels so they can squeeze more grind out of us.

Edited by ThePresident777

My ability to hope and dream dreams that don't involve horrific experiences and my inevitable death died long ago. Best to realize that Santa never existed, the Easter Bunny was eaten a while ago, and Mardi Gras is for making terrible decisions and then realizing you can't escape the consequences.

Whatever is better than the current Melee system, is something I'm looking forward to.

My gripe on it is some sort of freeform hack&slash similar to another game that I play. This was demonstrated in an earlier devstream. If I'm allocated the time anytime soon, I'll go back and look for a source.