Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hyperion- Solar/light-Bringer Frame!

autarchist

I bet ideas have been kicked around for 'light' powers, but do please check this out for fun idea share!
* Was going to sketch a concept, but this artist is super-lovely and made an idea like this, so I'll link for creative comradery: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/54046-helius-sun-based-warframe-design-with-art/

I pictured it more slender/light looking - but definitley with large bright chest-light & sun motif! .
(check out their tumblr too- awesome stuff!)

POWERS:

1) SOLAR FLARE
* Lobs a glowing orb (sim to a Tesla in animation/function). Press 1 again to detonate in a flash of light ,Blinding foes and dealing some Radiation damage
* Blind X seconds, scalable with Duration mods, Radius area scalable with Range mods
* Alternatively, could trigger on impact or on proximity with Max 6 deployed at a time? [edited for making sense ;)]

2) LIGHT SCREEN
* Creates a screen shaped zone that Bends/Blocks Light: Allies behind the screen are Invisible to enemies!
* Enemies will not see you with screen blocking line of sight, so good for stealth or denying some gunfire angles, rez
* Duration mods make it last longer, Range mods make it bigger
* Similar to Volt's Elec Shield size n shape, but new particle fx (for easier codability?)
* alt. names: 'Lightbend', 'Sunscreen?!?'

3) SUNBEAM
* Fires a beam of intense sunlight from its chest, Dealing severe Radiation + Heat damage to all in its path
* Intensify/Damage mods increase damage, Range Mods increase distance
* Could be similar to the particle-beams that hit you in the Corpus invasion levels when travelling through the vents for graphics/code reuse?
* Frame should have a cool, but fast, animation charge up for this!
* Damage balance might be similar to Slash Dash but with high elemental proc
* alt. names: 'Lightwave', 'Pulse Beam', ?

4) RADIANCE
* Glows with bright awe-invoking light for X seconds. Enemies in Range cannot target (or X% will not target) player while active. Deals Radiation D.O.T. to nearby enemies for duration.
* Note: not invulnerable! Can still be hit by other hazards, just wont get targeted by enemies in Range
* Range scalable with Range mods, Duration with Duration, Damage with Damage, pretty standard.
* Animations would have bright glow for whole frame (light effects)+ Trailing streamers of light (like the Angel in Diablo) might look neat. Frame hovering slightly with nice speed would be great bonus!
* Good CC and ally rez power!
* IF needed- might not be able to attack during power usage, or only melee (would be kinda like Valkyr then though)
* alt. names: 'Archangel', 'Supernova' (wait..like Nova with a cape? :P)

"Male" frame to start might be cool, because light is often a 'female' associated power set & different is fun!
Helios is also a cool name!

* It would be awesome if number-masters or other folks weigh in on Stat ideas! I can def. edit stats in later, but I'd be more interested in what others think & shared design! :)

Edited by autarchist

indeed you may have picked up the name subconsciously but this is almost the same character as League of Legends champion Lux. At least the name, theme, first, and second powers are.

Actually

I LOVE the second and third powers and honestly its okay to rip off league for the other 2 powers and theme as well. Just not the name

Edit: and that name is better anyway

Edited by quietcanary

OH DANG! I don't even play LoL (I am a bad nerd, I know!) Seriously was not aware!(Lux means Light in Latin is all I was going on)

Edited post title from LUX, since LoL is huge popular & everyone would presume that I was borrowing! Synchronicity in light-based character ideas!

Edit: The second power too? Ha! $#!% I totally thought that was my most original idea in the lot! 1st & 3rd power I can see as pretty common stuff

Thanks for pointing it out

Edited by autarchist

Helios is not LoL invention... Shadowsaur... (what the F*** is a shadowsaur?! btw)

It originally said Lux. The original name was Lux.

Notice the Edit

xShadowsaur is my name. As so indicated. But if it must be something ... then...

what the F*** is an Orbister?

Edit: Where is Helios In LOL anyway?

Edited by xShadowsaur

Lux is a fine name, it's not copy righted, and it's related to light in latin.

Alright lets get to work to make it viable.

Stats: 
Health- 75 base. 300 max.

Shields- 125 base. 375 max.

Armor- 150.

Movement Speed- 1.2

Power 1 (Solar Flare)
 First off, you set it so that you can cast with 1, then detonate with 1, and have six separate Flares out at once. IDK if I need to say how this wouldn't work (pressing 1 would detonate 1 and send a second?)

I suggest...

Having proxemics work for you, enemies that come within 1 meter make it detonate in a 4 meter radius.

Stunning for 2 seconds and dealing 100-200-300-400 damage per enemy in Radiation. Lux may have 5 out maximum. Flare lasts until detonated by enemies coming into proximity, when Lux moves 50 meters away from the Flare, or until Lux attempts to create a 6th Flare (upon cast it'll detonate the first existing Flare).

Cast radius would be 20 meters, increased by 5 meters per level to reach 35 meters max, so you can move 15 meters backwards without it instantly exploding.

Power strength will increase Flare damage, power duration will have no effect, power range will increase the proximity enemies enter that will trigger detonation as well as the size of the detonation, power efficiency will act as normal

Power 2 (Light Screen) (Sun Screen) (Light Bend)

A wall of light that makes allies behind it invisible is probably impossible to implement in the game.

I suggest...

Give Lux a simple invisiblity spell with the logic of her bending light around himself. I understand the logic of trying to make it team oriented, but it's just easier to make, and probably easier to use. The sound of firing weapons would be hard to mask, and what happens when you shoot a laser through a "wall" that bends light?

The invisibility would last 5-7-9-11 seconds respectively, and the typical Power 2 amount. it'd basically be Loki's and Ash's invisibility.

Power strength will have no effect, power duration will increase the duration of the invisibility, power range will have no effect, power efficiency will work as normal

Power 3 (Sunbeam)
It sounds fun and nice to have light come from the chest, the description is cool really.

I suggest...

The beam would likely just be a VERY large Supra beam with the magnetic/electric status effect on it for visual effect.

A .5 meter radius on the beam that can be fired any time you want it to, with 10-13-16-19 meter length and a 1-2-3-4 meter punch through the ability does 400-600-800-1000 damage split equally between Heat and Radiation. The Animation takes .5 seconds, and the beam takes an additional .5 seconds to reach its maximum length.

Power strength will increase the damage of Sunbeam, power range will increase the beam's thickness, power duration increases the length the beam will travel, power efficiency will work as normal

Power 4 (Radiance) (Angel Light) (Super Nova)

To be honest, the ability sounds extremely over powered. Excalibur's Radial Blind as a long lasting ability is just.... to much power

I suggest...

Lux repeatedly brims with power, releasing large flashes that stun and blind nearby enemies, stopping them from attacking and staggers them. When the spell ends, an additional flash will occur.

Over 20 seconds, Lux flashes brightly every 5 seconds, stunning nearby enemies for 2 seconds. Enemies stunned take 200  damage, half being radiation, and half being heat per flash.

Angel Light has a 20 meter radius, which increases by 5 per level, to a maximum of 35. Casting the ability will increase Lux's movement speed from 1.2 to 1.4 for the duration, there is an animation delay of 3 seconds as Lux gathers power to cast the ability.

Power strength will increase the amount of damage done per flash, power duration will increase the total duration, but will not effect the time between flashes, power range will increase the radius , power efficiency will work as normal.

That's all i got that I think might help, and will act as a better description of each ability.

Awesome numbers and polish, Magi' ! You live up to your name :)

-Shields over Health makes good sense...

-Really like the mid-range armor- just for variety sake alone!

-1.2 is awfully fast, considering, but I would tend to agree 'light' implies 'fast'(most frames could stand to be a bit faster base speed anyway)

Power 150.0 (225.0 at max)

is where I imagined that- Too high with the rest, you think?

I like all the power improvement suggestions too! Good sensible eval!

2) Lightbend/Lightscreen

* looking for distinct flavor here and group util, but you may have a point on challenge to implement...

I don't know their code but I will nerd-guess...

-effectiveness implementing 'screen' idea here probably depends on what determines enemy 'line of sight' or 'detection' I believe.

If it's like a 'raycast' style of coding where the enemy actually 'sees' you via some mechanic, it just blocks that 'sight'-ray and counts all behind it as is_invisible state (just like a piece of terrain you are behind when sneaking up on enemies unalerted). If it's different detection trigger & some other state-based thing, some sort of Is_Invisible state might be easiest to code for player vs. all enemies, kinda like Loki, as you implied. I bet they have the code physics to make screen work though!

4) Radiance..

- might be OP yeah. I was thinking more along Rhino/Nova baseline lol. I like your suggestion! Mostly a visual state with glow and light trails/wings would LOOK epic here (effects notwithstanding & alternate welcome)

* Also Fixed the wording order for Solar Flare to describe multiples as option in a proximity/impact case (as you rightly pointed out, can't throw multiples if pressing 1 again detonates lol -thank you!)

Awesome numbers and polish, Magi' ! You live up to your name :)

-Shields over Health makes good sense...

-Really like the mid-range armor- just for variety sake alone!

-1.2 is awfully fast, considering, but I would tend to agree 'light' implies 'fast'(most frames could stand to be a bit faster base speed anyway)

Power 150.0 (225.0 at max)

is where I imagined that- Too high with the rest, you think?

I like all the power improvement suggestions too! Good sensible eval!

2) Lightbend/Lightscreen

* looking for distinct flavor here and group util, but you may have a point on challenge to implement...

I don't know their code but I will nerd-guess...

-effectiveness implementing 'screen' idea here probably depends on what determines enemy 'line of sight' or 'detection' I believe.

If it's like a 'raycast' style of coding where the enemy actually 'sees' you via some mechanic, it just blocks that 'sight'-ray and counts all behind it as is_invisible state (just like a piece of terrain you are behind when sneaking up on enemies unalerted). If it's different detection trigger & some other state-based thing, some sort of Is_Invisible state might be easiest to code for player vs. all enemies, kinda like Loki, as you implied. I bet they have the code physics to make screen work though!

4) Radiance..

- might be OP yeah. I was thinking more along Rhino/Nova baseline lol. I like your suggestion! Mostly a visual state with glow and light trails/wings would LOOK epic here (effects notwithstanding & alternate welcome)

* Also Fixed the wording order for Solar Flare to describe multiples as option in a proximity/impact case (as you rightly pointed out, can't throw multiples if pressing 1 again detonates lol -thank you!)

whoops, forgot energy, yeah, that sounds like a good benchmark for it.

The issue is what happens to unalerted enemies on the other side of the wall, when someone sees you? would they also realize you're there (in the game they're currently using a hivemind to control all the mobs at once, meaning they all will know where you are, or they don't. That plus the lightbend is where I figure the issue will come from with 2, if you make it a small Snowglobe, it might work better as light that's bent around it will basically jump to the other side immediately?

With regard to Radiance, withs would look bad &#!. aha

glad to help. :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the thread res! & I agree Hyperion is a rad name & very Warframe sounding too! Changed the thread title accordingly.

Other ideas I kicked around recently:

-Solaris might work as an alt name too (better if it were a female frame perhaps?)  

-Sol and Invictus could be cool helm names if the frame was called Hyperion perhaps (keeping with theme)

- For additional thematics (like the 'pirate' addition to Hydroid) maybe this could be a Monk/Priest type frame found meditating at the heart of a star in deep space, for epic feel! :D With the addition of solar-rails, I was inspired for that sort of concept flavor

Always awesome to see other Tenno's ideas added too!

Edited by autarchist