The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Headset On His Way Out, Need Recommendations

Katakuna

As the title says, my current headset (Plantronics Gamecom 367) is nearing the end of his life.  He has served me faithfully for the 3-4 years he has been in my possession, but it's time to upgrade.  I've done some preliminary research, but in matters such as this, the opinion of other consumers weighs heavily.

So, Off Topic denizens, what gaming-oriented headsets would you recommend?  I have a budget of less than $100, and over-the-head style is required, but everything else (surround sound, wireless, etc.) is fair game.

I've heard nothing but good things about PC360's. 

I use a set of Razer 7.1 Tiamats which are pretty good soundwise. I'd avoid Turtle beach though, those things are made out of paper mache and Raditz

^^ Both those are super solid. The Sennheiser PC360 and the SE version are a bit cheaper.

Check this piece here for some interesting suggestions. http://www.gadgetreview.com/2013/12/6-powerful-pc-gaming-headsets-to-gift-or-get-this-holiday.html

I have the SteelSeries Wireless H. They are great. But for little money, Corsair has a 7.1 and a wireless set that are great. Logitech 935 or G930 are really good too. 

I own a pair of Steelseries 3H V2 ( Mainly cuz the Siberia in my country costs as much as a 1080p monitor.), I was using a pair of Genius G-500V before that were also solid but the audio quality was not so prettty ( 20-20.000khz, for the guys who know.).

Personally I'd recommend any brand that you are comfortable with, my personal favorites are Senheiser and Steelseries. Try to avoid Genius headsets unless you are on a budget.

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.  Given my budget, it's down to a toss up between the Logitech G35 or the Sennheiser PC360 if I'm willing to go a little over.  Razer's Tiamat 7.1 is another option.

Looks like I've got some pros and cons to weigh today.

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.  Given my budget, it's down to a toss up between the Logitech G35 or the Sennheiser PC360 if I'm willing to go a little over.  Razer's Tiamat 7.1 is another option.

Looks like I've got some pros and cons to weigh today.

Just a point with the Tiamat, make sure your PC supports 7.1, otherwise you won't be able to use the mic.

I had that problem, though I get around it by using the Mic on my broken Turtle Beach PX21's.

The Tiamats are very comfortable to wear though.

I did have a set of Tiamats break on me. Razer replaced them but yea there is that.

The 935 and G930 are really good USB but they use virtual 7.1. Not true 7.1 They also top out at 48kHz I believe. If you can find a set that does 96K or higher, I recommend as the audio CAN be far better if everything else is high performing.

An audiophile's opinion:

Creative Aurvana Live! ($60-70ish) or Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 (hovers around $100), both of these will have far better fidelity and positional accuracy compared to the majority of "gaming" headsets at the $100 price range. For the mic, just a clip-on Zalman will do, or other brands.

Although if you're willing to spend more, Sennheiser makes excellent gaming headsets like the PC360 and G4ME One.

The Logitech G35 is an excellent USB headset and it's only $91-ish on Amazon. It's 5.1 surround sound, wired, has a mic, onboard programmable buttons, volume adjuster, mic mute... All around excellent headset, and it was the runner up on Kotaku's 6 best headset competition.

that's what i use, 5 years with the G35 right now and they are still awesome as day 1, i highly recommend those

Edited by Phoenix86