The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So The Tenno Are Called The Betrayers Because...

Jathniel

”A remnant of a time long past. Genetically engineered to be superior so as to lead others to peace in a world at war. But we were condemned as criminals, forced into exile. For centuries we slept, hoping when we awoke things would be different..."

Edited by Fleetwing

Well, the contributors of the wiki are just putting some of the best theories forward. I felt it was important to link it.

I failed to articulate properly.

The reason I concluded that the Technocyte is actually gone, and the Infested could simply be an Orokin bio-technology modeled AFTER it, is because the Orokin DID actually do something similar with making the Tenno.

Don't forget Excalibur's description. The Tenno ARE NOT an ancient race from Earth.

They ARE Orokin created weapons.

The Tenno are fashioned after MANY ancient races from Earth, but they are not themselves an ancient race. ('we taught them the old ways')

Their weapons reflect this. They use weapons that have styles that can be traced to nearly every major continent. Ancient Asian, European, African, and American (both native and colonial) weapons.

The Orokin were aware of Earth's history, and used it. The Sentients were people, that were beating them on the computer and technology front, BECAUSE they were individually sentient. But the Orokin, took the greatest combat styles of Earth's ancient people, and used that against the Sentients.

What were a bunch of hackers and computer geeks supposed to do, with a horde of cyborg ninjas coming after them?

I think the same way the Orokin used knowledge of Earth's past (ancient warcraft) to create the Tenno, is the same way they used knowledge of Earth's past (events of Dark Sector/Technocyte virus) to create the Infested.

But I am definitely wrong, because this is just guessing. lol

The Tenno are mutated Orokin (through exposure to the Void) - possibly on purpose if you read Ember Prime's lore entry.

The Orokin were "future humans" i.e they originated from Earth. Both the Grineer and Corpus, as well as the Tenno, originates from the Orokin. The Corpus (with their religious view on everything Orokin, especially technology) think of the Orokin as divine beings, which is why they are particularly upset at the Tenno for eventually turning on the Orokin - hence the Betrayers remark.

Thus we can establish that the Tenno are

a. Orokin (or ex-Orokin)

b. Human (arguably super human due to their new-found powers)

Edited by Brimir

...they turned on the Empire that they fought to defend at the end of the Sentient's War?

And the Stalker was present then, and has been alive since, to make sure he makes every Tenno pay for that?

Is it me, or does this raise more questions?

Look at Ember Prime's lore. They were creating the Tenno by conducting clandestine experiments on children.  The Tenno probably got fed up with the Orokin's treatment and turned on them.

Look at Ember Prime's lore. They were creating the Tenno by conducting clandestine experiments on children.  The Tenno probably got fed up with the Orokin's treatment and turned on them.

Pretty much. Might've been some sort of X-men kind of deal where after they saved the Orokin Empire, they went from being hailed as saviors to being treated with suspicion and envy of their powers.

Might've.

To me, the Stalker's been in and out of Cryosleep himself over the ages. So he's the oldest of any living Tenno, waiting for the Tenno to return (or until he can find them himself) so he can kill them.

Here are my thoughts on the overall means by which this happened:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/176011-the-orokin-the-grineer-the-corpus-their-place-in-orokin-era-of-human-society/

Edited by Morec0

To me, the Stalker's been in and out of Cryosleep himself over the ages. So he's the oldest of any living Tenno, waiting for the Tenno to return (or until he can find them himself) so he can kill them.

Here are my thoughts on the overall statement of betrayers:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/176011-the-orokin-the-grineer-the-corpus-their-place-in-orokin-era-of-human-society/

But the Stalker was never a Tenno. He was a "Low Guardian" if I recall correctly.

Let me join in the guessing game:

The "old ways" the Tenno were trained in, are rooted deeply in tradition and code of honor. In the west, this is called "chivalry", while in the east - "bushido".

I imagine that this was their greatest strength.

But at the same time, such a code prevents you from just going on a random Emperor-killing spree ("Herp le derp, we were bored." Just no.). I imagine they had a very good reason for committing murder against the Orokin elite, most likely a secret that even the Stalker wasn't aware of. Or else he wouldn't be hunting Tenno. Conveniently enough, the period spent in stasis has wiped the Tennos' memories, so they can't justify themselves for their actions.

Now there can be wild speculations about what that secret was exactly. Could be that the Emperors had some control over the Tenno and had ill intentions about using them after the war - whether to subdue their own population to tyranny, or as key weapons to conquer other races, with the only way of stopping their influence being their destruction. Sentients could have been spawned by the Orokin's own scientific experiments and thus were the prime reason why the nearly lost war (which implies heavy losses and much suffering) was had in the first place. Or, if the Sentients are indeed human, as Jathniel suggests - then the Tenno could have accidentally acquired the notion that they are themselves human, and had been forced to commit genocide against their own people.

Whatever the case, I believe their cause was noble. We're playing from their PoV, after all, so we must be the good guys, right? It's what appeases the masses most.

I can't help but draw comparisons to the forty-seven ronin tale (not the movie), but with its own twists. The ronin were forced to go against their own code by murdering the one who had wronged their master. The Tenno were forced to go against their own code, by murdering the Emperors. Bushido forced these ronin to perform seppuku. The Tenno code forced Tenno to self-enact their own punishment, putting themselves to slumber in cryopods.

I might also be wrong. But this is the version that currently makes the most sense in my head.

Edited by RMark12

But the Stalker was never a Tenno. He was a "Low Guardian" if I recall correctly.

To me, that just means he's a lower class of Tenno - the Tenno already had ranks (see the Yomo Syandana description) so, as I understand it, he was one of those lower ranking Tenno.

EDIT: As for any Dark Sector-Warframe connections through Hayden Tenno, I look at it this way: Hayden Tenno was the first Tenno in the sense that Terron Gorefiend was the first Death Knight in the Warcraft universe - they shared the name and a similar set of powers, but in the end they had different origins and were unique in and of themselves.

Edited by Morec0

Let me join in the guessing game:

The "old ways" the Tenno were trained in, are rooted deeply in tradition and code of honor. In the west, this is called "chivalry", while in the east - "bushido".
I imagine that this was their greatest strength.
But at the same time, such a code prevents you from just going on a random Emperor-killing spree ("Herp le derp, we were bored." Just no.). I imagine they had a very good reason for committing murder against the Orokin elite, most likely a secret that even the Stalker wasn't aware of. Or else he wouldn't be hunting Tenno. Conveniently enough, the period spent in stasis has wiped the Tennos' memories, so they can't justify themselves for their actions.

Now there can be wild speculations about what that secret was exactly. Could be that the Emperors had some control over the Tenno and had ill intentions about using them after the war - whether to subdue their own population to tyranny, or as key weapons to conquer other races, with the only way of stopping their influence being their destruction. Sentients could have been spawned by the Orokin's own scientific experiments and thus were the prime reason why the nearly lost war (which implies heavy losses and much suffering) was had in the first place. Or, if the Sentients are indeed human, as Jathniel suggests - then the Tenno could have accidentally acquired the notion that they are themselves human, and had been forced to commit genocide against their own people.

Whatever the case, I believe their cause was noble. We're playing from their PoV, after all, so we must be the good guys, right? It's what appeases the masses most.

I can't help but draw comparisons to the forty-seven ronin tale (not the movie), but with its own twists. The ronin were forced to go against their own code by murdering the one who had wronged their master. The Tenno were forced to go against their own code, by murdering the Emperors. Bushido forced these ronin to perform seppuku. The Tenno code forced Tenno to self-enact their own punishment, putting themselves to slumber in cryopods.

I might also be wrong. But this is the version that currently makes the most sense in my head.

Read Ember Prime's Codex entry.

The Orokin weren't exactly kind in creating the Tenno - it was a horrible act (or series of acts) born out of desperation due to facing extinction at the hands of the Sentients.

I'd be mad if I were the Tenno. Murderously so.

To me, that just means he's a lower class of Tenno - the Tenno already had ranks (see the Yomo Syandana description) so, as I understand it, he was one of those lower ranking Tenno.

Possibly. Or he stole a Warframe and mutated himself in order to avenge the Orokin. That is most certainly a possibility, too.

EDIT: As for any Dark Sector-Warframe connections through Hayden Tenno, I look at it this way: Hayden Tenno was the first Tenno in the sense that Terron Gorefiend was the first Death Knight in the Warcraft universe - they shared the name and a similar set of powers, but in the end they had different origins and were unique in and of themselves.

There are no connections. Dark Sector is a spiritual prequel only. The devs have stated so repeatedly during devstreams.

Edited by Brimir

Read Ember Prime's Codex entry.

The Orokin weren't exactly kind in creating the Tenno - it was a horrible act (or series of acts) born out of desperation due to facing extinction at the hands of the Sentients.

I'd be mad if I were the Tenno. Murderously so.

You would, I would, but maybe Bobby wouldn't, maybe Timmy wouldn't, maybe depending on the lives that those children (or whatever they were before the Void) had before Bobby and Timmy looked to the Orokin as a sort of parent figure, a savior - now, tie that in with being a "Lower Guardian", i.e. not as good as the others, and you have 1) a sense of kinship with your Orokin creators and 2) already set bitterness towards your own people.

In short: individualism fucks everything up.

It's a fairly watertight theory, I think, not without it's flaws I'm sure and we don't know the full story, but as far as fan theories go...

EDIT: and the spiritual prequel bit DOES stand, but people seem to overlook that. For those who can't wrap their heads around it, I'm proposing an alternative to help them understand that the Hayden and the Tenno don't HAVE to be connected.

Edited by Morec0

Personally, if I were tossed into the Void to be changed into some kind of super soldier, I would be a bit steamed too.

We don't have all the information on what was happening or why.

MY question...

Where was Hayden Tenno during all this? Was he dead? COULD he die of old age after being infected in Dark Sector?

In my own fanfictions, there were TWO groups of Tenno. One group (founded by Hayden) were reclusive warrior monks who were dedicated to protecting humanity from the horrors of the Technoctye Virus. The others were the poor souls thrown into the Void by the Orokin. And NO, the warrior monks did NOT take that kindly.

Edited by Kalenath

Well we've had a few non-lore "Word of God" statements from DE that we can use to eliminate some of the possibilities.

1. The Tenno _are_ the good guys

2. Orokin comes from "Oro" = Gold "kin"=people

3. When teasing for a "new race" Steve said that "The Race that were fighting the Orokin would _never_ come back" (With strong sarcasm) strongly indicating that they _are_ alien in some way. And not simply "rebel" humans.

Now _in_ the lore we know that at least the first pilots of the Warframes had their own powers that came from from exposure to the Void, some by accident and some seemingly by design (We know nothing about where _our_ Tenno's powers come from though).

From the Lephantis info that the Lotus tells us we know that the Orokin were experimenting with the Technocyte virus to fight the Sentients. The result of that would seem to be at least some of the Infestation (Which may or may not have existed before that experimentation). Previous to the Stalker codex it was assumed that the infestation wiped out the Orokin due to the state of the derelicts however once the Stalker codex entry was released we knew that the Tenno were the ones to kill the Orokin.

Now what is worse than sending children unshielded into the Void? Deliberately giving people over to the infestation to create shock troops! Given that Lephantis was a secret (So the Lotus tells us) and that no mention of the infestation was given by the Stalker at the _end_ of the Sentient war we can see that it is implied that infested troops were not deployed.

Hence the _creation_ of the infestation could be the reason for the Tenno rebellion.

Edited by SilentMobius

Personally, if I were tossed into the Void to be changed into some kind of super soldier, I would be a bit steamed too.

We don't have all the information on what was happening or why.

MY question...

Where was Hayden Tenno during all this? Was he dead? COULD he die of old age after being infected in Dark Sector?

In my own fanfictions, there were TWO groups of Tenno. One group (founded by Hayden) were reclusive warrior monks who were dedicated to protecting humanity from the horrors of the Technoctye Virus. The others were the poor souls thrown into the Void by the Orokin. And NO, the warrior monks did NOT take that kindly.

As Bri said: Warframe's a spiritual successor. Hayden's not a part of this cannon.

But Steve, Sheldon and Geoff confirmed that Hayden was the First Tenno... so...

I dunno...

In a spiritual sense, and that idea itself seems to have been overwritten by newer lore.

And even if it hasn't been: see my Warcraft death knight explanation above. They don't have to be connected in any way for him to technically be the first.

Especially if they were children, as indicated by Ember Prime's lore.

Exactly.

Now, in my own fanfictions, I had the warrior monk Tenno (not -quite- like Jedi) living separate from humanity while Orokin was strong. They likely would NOT have helped against the Sentients since their duty -in my stories anyway- was to safeguard against the virus and nothing more.

So you have a horrible war and these immortal super soldier warrior monks who will not fight for you. What is an empire going to do? Answer: Make better weapons. Oh and if it ticks off the warrior monks? Too bad.

Unless of course said warrior monks... disapprove of your actions. Then they might find ways to... make their disapproval felt.

In my stories, the Orokin Emperor had a Royal Guard of Tenno who probably turned on him when they found out he had ordered the Infested unleashed on the Sentients. Still not entirely sure about that. Next fanfiction maybe.

In a spiritual sense, and that idea itself seems to have been overwritten by newer lore.

And even if it hasn't been: see my Warcraft death knight explanation above. They don't have to be connected in any way for him to technically be the first.

No the pretty much outright stated that Hayden Tenno was the first Tenno.

However we have no idea what that means or who that person is, they are unlikely to have had a history that replicates the plot of Dark Sector. As it stands it's just a name.

No the pretty much outright stated that Hayden Tenno was the first Tenno.

However we have no idea what that means or who that person is, they are unlikely to have had a history that replicates the plot of Dark Sector. As it stands it's just a name.

Except that he's NOT. By all accounts we have so far, the Tenno that we have now have NOTHING to do with Hayden Tenno in the past. Check out Ember's lore, as has been said OVER and OVER; there's no technocyte, there's not Hayden, there are children sent (by accident or purpose we're not sure) into the Void and are twisted by it.

Except that he's NOT. By all accounts we have so far, the Tenno that we have now have NOTHING to do with Hayden Tenno in the past. Check out Ember's lore, as has been said OVER and OVER; there's no technocyte, there's not Hayden, there are children sent (by accident or purpose we're not sure) into the Void and are twisted by it.

Just by the Void or by what they found there?

I didn't see that anywhere in the lore.

You are wrong, the codex states that "Excalibur" was the first warframe. It states that the Void-tainted rejects were called the Tenno, it says nothing about the first Tenno or their name. Same with the Ember codex, it says nothing about the first Tenno.

The Technocyte virus _absolutely_ exists and _is_ the infestation:

Nano Spores: "Fibrous technocyte tumor. Handle Infested tissue with caution"

Please read what I said: Without direct contradiction (Which we don't have) a person with the name "Hayden Tenno" was the first Tenno, this does _not_ imply any of "Dark Sector" applies to this persons backstory. Simply that there was a person and they had that name.

Edited by SilentMobius

Mayhaps we are the descendants of/related to the Corpus, went and got infected and lived, didnt come back "home" so to speak even though that would of no longer sustained us in effect turning us into a whole new faction then and there...Dudes got bitter, started hatin, we pwned them, they mad?

I wasnt really asleep in my pod, I was pretending...