Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Want A Railgun Megathread!

r0ckwolf

Ok so I own every single Armored Core game, and been playing them since the ps1 days back in 97.

Anywho, here's BlackJack, the armored core that peeps have been using around here as a rail gun prototype: http://gameswalls.com/wallpapers/a/armored-core-last-raven/armored-core-last-raven-1.jpg

His gun is actually a plasma rifle, using rail gun tech to propel its plasma bolts. It's actually not that powerful ingame, but it manages to pack I believe it was 40 rounds of use. Now, the railgun should pack only a few rounds, but pack enough power behind it to down a head from the derelic golem in one shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYnNuUDnZHE    SKIP to 1.30 in the youtube clip to see an example of how a plasma railgun would look like firing.

Edited by ZeroInferno

Not to completely steal the thread, but Armored Core needs to come back big time. Was, is, and still will be my all time favorite game ever to have been around.

But yes, I want the railgun to have the SAME CHARGING style as that plasma gun. That thing just wrecks city blocks at a time lul

PS: I think FROMSOFTWARE(armored core makers, along with Demons'/Dark Souls) make some of the best CGI on the market. These guys with a company of 231 people put industrial light and magic(cgi makers for many holywood movies) to shame.

Edited by ZeroInferno

Oh, it definitely should come back. Probably my favorite series of all time. The recent ones have been okay, but not as good as the older ones. Actually, For Answer was fun. I liked quick boosting.

Warframe could definitely take some inspirations from weapons in Armored Core.

Ohh they can REALLY take some inspiration from Armored Core as a hole in terms of designs and such.

Btw, ForAnswer was probably the best out of them all in terms of gameplay. Last Raven was the best for story, because damn those Pulverizers >_>

EDIT: if DE decides to call a weapon Moonlight or Karasawa I will forever play warframe.

Edited by ZeroInferno

Aaaand back to your regularly scheduled thread shenanigans.

Case in point, if Armored Core did anything it did designs and execution very well for said designs.

DE, take notice of this, and use that charging animation or something very similar to it, for the railgun. Something about pulling energy particles from around the gun just looks freakin awesome. DO IT

I would consider the lanka a rail gun, and the dera looks like a railgun, until you notice that it shoots out of the posts rather than the center.

also, what is up with all these "suggestion" threads in GD?

Just cause one guy cant find the right sub forum, doesn't mean everyone does..

Just because a gun doesnt look like your interpretation of a railgun doesn't mean that it isnt a railgun. 

A railgun is just a gun that uses magnetic coils to fire the projectile. Lanka is a charge based sniper that fires a bullet. Therefore it can be assumed that it is a railgun.

Also, most plasma based guns are technically railguns, as plasma is held together with a magnetic field.

I also consider Lanka a railgun, but I wouldn't mind if they added another one, slightly wider then Lanka, also charged but with greater charge time, greater damage, hitscan and stagger on every hit. Also damage on it should be 50% puncture, 50% impact.

Sorry, but the Lanka IS a Railgun. It uses electromagnetic force to propel a projectile or energy in a direction, i.e. a Railgun.

Keep in mind, that Railguns nowadays would not be able to compare to ones in the far distant future like in Warframe, so it's easily plausible that Railguns don't have to shoot solid rounds.
The only thing that discerns a railgun from a standard gun, is the two large electromagnetic RAILS in the barrel to propel whatever the projectile is, instead of using an explosion.

Therefore, we have a railgun already. Yes more would be good, but saying that we don't have one, is completely false.
You could even claim the Dera as a small railgun too.

Sorry, but the Lanka IS a Railgun. It uses electromagnetic force to propel a projectile or energy in a direction, i.e. a Railgun.

Keep in mind, that Railguns nowadays would not be able to compare to ones in the far distant future like in Warframe, so it's easily plausible that Railguns don't have to shoot solid rounds.

The only thing that discerns a railgun from a standard gun, is the two large electromagnetic RAILS in the barrel to propel whatever the projectile is, instead of using an explosion.

Therefore, we have a railgun already. Yes more would be good, but saying that we don't have one, is completely false.

You could even claim the Dera as a small railgun too.

It is not false...jeez!

If the discription of the Lato would state: "uses electromagnetic force to shoot bullets."; you wouldn´t say it´s a railgun either! Also electromagnetic acceleration is not the only trademark of a railgun! There would also be the Rails for example, duh!

And by any means if you would have taken the time to acctually read this Thread, you would have discovered that there are tons of reasons that thouroughly explain as to why the Lanka is in NO WAY a Railgun. The extremely low projectile velocity would be the strongest reason, but only one of many valid ones.

This is really not a matter of opinions anymore, the facts are there, so it would be nice if we could stay on topic now... thanks. ^^

It is not false...jeez!

If the discription of the Lato would state: "uses electromagnetic force to shoot bullets."; you wouldn´t say it´s a railgun either! Also electromagnetic acceleration is not the only trademark of a railgun! There would also be the Rails for example, duh!

And by any means if you would have taken the time to acctually read this Thread, you would have discovered that there are tons of reasons that thouroughly explain as to why the Lanka is in NO WAY a Railgun. The extremely low projectile velocity would be the strongest reason, but only one of many valid ones.

This is really not a matter of opinions anymore, the facts are there, so it would be nice if we could stay on topic now... thanks. ^^

Actually if the Lato had that description, I would call it a railgun. Maybe call it something for fitting like a railpistol, but a pistol is a gun, therefore, railgun. Also yes I would consider the Lanka a railgun, not only because of how it is, but because it DOES use magnetic acceleration. If you look on the Warframe wikia page about the corpus, it mentions how some of their weapons use "handheld magnetic accelerators" with magnetic accelerators being linked to the Lanka page. If you don't believe go look it up. 

One last thing, while reading through this thread you stated that this was on Prime Time. I can't deny that it wasn't because I watched it, but even they looked like it wasn't that good of an idea, mainly due to the fact you wanted them to be HUGE and that would make everything look weird; they are also talked a little bit about the Lanka being a railgun(although I forget what they said).

Actually, on Prime Time they got the topic of this megathread about a new railgun and immediately said they cannot say any more. Otherwise they risk ruining the surprise they apparently have set up about an apparent railgun in the making at DE.

The only possible railguns I imagine that would show up is another Sniper, Semi-Auto rifle, or an Archwing weapon.

Actually, on Prime Time they got the topic of this megathread about a new railgun and immediately said they cannot say any more. Otherwise they risk ruining the surprise they apparently have set up about an apparent railgun in the making at DE.

That would make me jump around in my room like a little girl, because of excitement! ...did i just write that oO?!

WE ARE GETTING A RAILGUN WITH ARCHWINGS!!!!!

Really? Cool! I still want one for normal play, but...

(Spoilers from the last episode of season two of A Certain Scientific Railgun if that matters to anyone)

(P.S. For those who know nothing about it, yes, there is justification for that scene, but you do have to read between the lines for some of it. ;P )

Seriously though, I've liked railguns since I first used one in an Unreal mod a million years ago, so I'm happy to see a real one coming to Warframe (hopefully), not just that slow-traveling Lanka thing.

Edited by Jokubas

• 1 month later...