Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Want A Railgun Megathread!

r0ckwolf

True. Anyways, faction elements are the hardest part...all the factions have a very distinct feel, which can be really hard to capture sometimes. I tried to doodle a corpus-themed railgun when I first saw this thread and it did not look anything like a corpus weapon.

I just look at the weapons and see if I can find any common ground between them. Something easy to find is the color scheme. The Corpus have a darker gray for a base, with a faded out blue color, and a more gray-silver color for highlights. I've also noticed that they seem to have a lot of diagonal slashes to them as well, and the bolts seem to have a line through them.

Anyhow, I tried to implement that and I also did a Grineer one.

Py4MdUs.png

Nice! Though to be honest I'm not a big fan of the spike points on the tenno version. Will the tenno ever learn to move beyond old style guns and those covered in spikes within the game? They got plenty available to them in the new time period to do better designs with than staying with old styling continually. It doesn't have be antiqued or spike covered to always be considered a tenno weapon does it? Why can't they get out of that design format once in a while for new weapons and build one in a design fitting of their new time period?

Alright...

I honestly have no idea of the anatomy of a gun, let alone railguns, so please bear with me if I made any huge flaws. I'm not experienced in this area. However feel free to nitpick and edit my image to point out the problem areas!

ufTd0P7.png

This looks quiet nice!^^ I personnally like it when you can easily reckognize the Rails by them being open in the mid section, if you know what i mean. Also i like them when they are of equal length, just my preference: ;) What wouldbe nice though is a larger magazine, don´t forget that the Bolts are quiet large and even storing 2-3 of them costs a lot of space.

Hope i didn´t sound to nitpicky! Like the design!^^

A railgun or coilgun is actually a weapon that fires the projectile through magnetism the lanka for example is a railgun, to be a railgun it doesn't need to deal a massive destructive power, the projectile only needs to be fired from a magnetic source

A railgun or coilgun is actually a weapon that fires the projectile through magnetism the lanka for example is a railgun, to be a railgun it doesn't need to deal a massive destructive power, the projectile only needs to be fired from a magnetic source

You disproved your own point! XD The Lanka does not fire bolts through magnetic acceleration, but electirc energy projctiles. So it is not a Railgun in any way. 

You disproved your own point! XD The Lanka does not fire bolts through magnetic acceleration, but electirc energy projctiles. So it is not a Railgun in any way. 

If you see it's description it says it shoots through magnetic induction.

Also it should be called the Misaka.

That would be awesome, and blend right in with the rest of the Japanese. ;3

To be honest, when I joined this game, I immediately started looking for all of the electric stuff because of Mikoto. I joined during the window where Volt was not a starter, so I worked hard for him, and Lecta, and the Castanas, and Amprex, and ultimately, Lanka. Boy was I disappointed with the Lanka (though I do not regret the time and effort I put in). Not only was it not the railgun it's sorta implied to be, but despite the niche I've heard it can fill, it definitely doesn't seem worthy of Rank 7. (By the way, not that it seems like I'd have to explain myself, but it's less directly that I'm trying to imitate Mikoto, as much as she helped me realize how much I love electricity powers.)

We definitely need a railgun. They're a really awesome (not so) sci-fi weapon perfect for this game, especially since there are already Railgun Moa and such. I already liked railguns before MIkoto, but come on, we need this:

Edited by Jokubas

They shoot faster because they're pretty much just larger MBT cannons. Many railguns today need to be hauled around on a flatbed trailer. For the size of the Lanka, you're lucky it shoots as fast as it does.

I dont know if this criticism is valid in a game with space ninjas with jetpacks.

Holy Crap!!! XD THis Thread actually made it into Prime TIme, this makes me so happy. Many thanks to everyone who hhelped contribute to this discussion. I´m a little dissapointed that they did not take a closer look at the awesome suggestions on how it would work ingame, but hey, i´ll take what i can get! :)

I would say Lanka is a railgun too, but... well, it just isn't. It fires electric rounds, slower than conventional weapons.

A Real Railgun fires physical rounds(they'd deal mainly impact&puncture damage) way way WAY faster than conventional weapon fire. A railgun's base damage would be enormous.

Like at about MACH 5 and up.  Which would make it a hypersonic weapon.  Mechanically speaking it would be a charge up, one shot (at a time)  weapon with hitscan, and MASSIVE damage.

The sort of thing that would suit the Archwing quite well, I think.

Like at about MACH 5 and up.  Which would make it a hypersonic weapon.  Mechanically speaking it would be a charge up, one shot (at a time)  weapon with hitscan, and MASSIVE damage.

The sort of thing that would suit the Archwing quite well, I think.

Just browsed through the patch files of the recent patch and guess what I found. Archwing Railgun :)

Look here: https://github.com/deathmax/warframe_data/commit/b073fd430c40d7ca24ce7148cfddfcd24c5d5773#diff-67f4330b8fbda732ff466ec8d9889390L9789

Press ctrl+f and look for it yourself if you like.