Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Grineer Systems Transmission And U13 Hype Megathread

Archistopheles

Yeah, I think some people can forget just how fickle coding can be.

You can change one line and what used to be stable and capable of running well instead turns into a fiery wreck.

As a professional coder in a high pressure company that was losing tonnes of money every time the software had issues working in a constantly changing environment, I had around 60 minutes to push out updates.

In a situation like today I would release as much content as possible, even of that is only new weapons and skins. Then push as hard as possible to fix the other issues. If I fixed them in 3 hours I'd release them in 3 hours. If I told my boss sorry I only roll out updates on Wednesdays I would have been fired on the spot. 

Yeah coding can look difficult and time consuming, but if you're a professional coder it's something you excel at and enjoy.

But you have to remember that there are people who are so deeply depressed that they are only hanging on the edge of life and suicide because of some things and in my choice of profession, it has been proven that games can be that. So to them, it is the only thing to live for since their own life has failed them in some way and things like this, are important. Provided he truly means it and it is just not plain anger from him.

EDIT: And those people actually are very sensitive with their problem which is why even mentioning can be very hurtful. Even if the intention is good.

Anyways, back to the topic.

The way I currently see it, is that yes, I do as well share the disappointment feeling many here seem to have but then again, it is not so much away from my life than it is from DE's. The only reason at the moment I would see myself finding a reason to log in and play would be when a big system like this get's implemented due to my current burnout.

Thus, as long as they delay it, I lose my interest in the whole thing and I lose my motivation to buy anything from them which I'm sure, DE knows that this is why delays are bad. This is not as much of a threat and more so of a statement how I estimate my own interests holding up.

Literally brought me to tears

Thank you for clearing this up.

I'd just like to know the reason for the delay. Bug? Design change? Bad time estimation? Loss of manpower?

Whichever it is, I won't hold it against them (especially the first and last of the four).  I'd just like to know which it is.

Edited by Volt_Cruelerz

Or if they explained what happened, and why it was delayed.

the reason why it's delayed "The Teaser site was planned for the Update to go live today, so we understand the frustration when players saw a Timer instead of an Update. We goofed and we know it. But please stick around with us, and at the very least accept our apology alerts. We're still working on Update 13 so that when it goes live we can say we're happy and proud of what you'll be playing." - DEMegan

And complaining will fix what?

Hopefully teach DE to aknowledge problems instead of letting hype build up.

Then again, they have said they would improve their communication long ago, but nothing has happened.

Seriously disappointing, and I'm usually cool with all of DE's decisions. Finding out a massive update needs another weeks doesn't happen at the last minute! They usually delay it until close to midnight anyways to fix mistakes, if their were things left out then why not release it a day later. If they knew it would not have been finished, then they should have let the images pop up every two days, or at irregular intervals in their progress to completion, NOT continue to tease their fans all week and have 'em wait even more. Utterly unbelievable. There is no way this was a last minute decision and they should have not let it come this far just to disappoint.

But it can happen. Anyone with development experience can prove it. Once I was sitting in our office for a whole weekend to find a nasty bug which turned out was a qnx/POSIX specific memory leak which slowly ate up system memory causing a crash after a day's continuous testing. And while it happened outside of our own memory manager, it was especially hard to track down. Just sayin' :)

As a professional coder in a high pressure company that was losing tonnes of money every time the software had issues working in a constantly changing environment, I had around 60 minutes to push out updates.

In a situation like today I would release as much content as possible, even of that is only new weapons and skins. Then push as hard as possible to fix the other issues. If I fixed them in 3 hours I'd release them in 3 hours. If I told my boss sorry I only roll out updates on Wednesdays I would have been fired on the spot. 

Yeah coding can look difficult and time consuming, but if you're a professional coder it's something you excel at and enjoy.

Thank you, DE really has no excuses here.

if they gave us the update full of bugs poeple would just spam rage about all the bugs....its better they wait 

I dunno. People would start to complain and DE would start rolling out fixes. It might have been better than this. Also, I doubt that the entire update is broken.. so why hold the whole thing back? Is it networking issue? I suspect Badlands might be the culprit here.. but why not just cut it then and delay just the one thing.

There really should be at least Tenno reinforcements today.

Edited by LocoWithGun

I dunno. People would start complain and DE would start rolling out fixes. It might have been better than this. Also, I doubt that the entire update is broken.. so why hold the whole thing back? Is it networking issue? I suspect Badlands might be the culprit here.. but why not just cut it then and delay just the one thing.

yah becuase i just want my melee xD

No, I will not calm down. 

Games are just entertainment for some of you, but for me it's BEYOND that.

It's a life. It's the only thing that helps me go through the day without killing myself. Games are supporters that keep me from doing so. 

No matter what you say I'm still angry. I've been trying to hold back but it's becoming almost impossible. 

This is your life support

http://youtu.be/VvR_3OTxs8A

Edited by SirAuron