The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Coptering Does Look Hokey

xenoffense

I apologize for the way I said that during the livestream, but I stand by my statement that it looks hokey, specifically the air walking after you do the spin part of it. I would much rather have a new aerial animation (maybe like the flying swallow technique from ninja gaiden) that doesnt leave you walking in midair afterward.

I LOVE the mobility of coptering but I HATE the way it looks.

On another note the stream was awesome and I am super stoked for melee 2.0

SOOOO glad you decided to do away with the classic charge attacks like I have been suggesting :D

New proposal, coptering is still possible, but it requires a complicated combo move to pull off!

Nah, I kid (sort of). If coptering is going to remain as a game mechanic, some official animations would be nice, although maybe just looking hokey is DE's way of providing a tradeoff for those who use it (looking fabulous > mobility).

super disappointed to hear that it's staying<br /><br />hurts the game IMHO<br /><br />if you want to let players go fast, just incentivize RUNNING/SPRINTING more<br /><br />its stupid that tenno melee-slide-spin attack CONSTANTLY ALL OVER THE WHOLE @(*()&#036; MAP its just stupid

super disappointed to hear that it's staying<br /><br />hurts the game IMHO<br /><br />if you want to let players go fast, just incentivize RUNNING/SPRINTING more<br /><br />its stupid that tenno melee-slide-spin attack CONSTANTLY ALL OVER THE WHOLE @(*()$ MAP its just stupid

Coptering shouldn't be encouraged, it's a bug that allows even the slowest of the slow to outrun the fastest of the fast. The last thing I want to see it DE actually putting work into a broken mechanic.

i just don't get you people, coptering requires actual skill, it might look dumb but that's just proof that it's not easy to perform well, want to move fast, sprint, but want to go sanics? you're going to have to dance on your keyboard/controller for it.

and coptering is no longer a bug, so not liking it is not enough to get it removed now, it's got DE's seal of approval.

and one last thing, no, it does NOT allow the slowest of the slow to outrun the fastest of the fast, if neither  has the zorens the faster frame wins, if both have the zorens, the fastest frame STILL wins, this is like complaining a frost outran your loki because he had rush and you didn't and don't want to use rush, it's the same thing. so if you want to complain about unjust speed buffs, complain about rhino prime and his +25% speed rhino-only helmet

What does anime have to do looking hokey?

I love spinning though.

I imagine coptering looks weird to some people because it looks exaggerated for the animation (flying great distances with a little spin), the exaggeration being the cartoony or 'anime' part. I, personally, have no qualms with coptering.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

Warframe is anime? What kind of anime?

Frame Metal Alchemist?

Ghost in the Frame?

Frame la Frame?

Late 80s/early 90s scifi anime and live action TV shows. A team of superhuman warriors in bio-technic suits fighting evil space empires with magical psychic powers, advanced weaponry, inhuman acrobatics, and unreal swordsmanship. Now complete with sword explosions and dynamic gore-laden cuts! What makes WF interesting is that it's a Western take on anime from that period. It's flashy without being over-extravagant or completely over-the-top. WF has restraint. That's part of the appeal, at least to me. Not to dismiss 80s/90s anime. That stuff is fun.

It's probably a big reason why this game has a fairly large Japanese playerbase, really.

Shows like Sentai Rangers, Kamen Rider, and Guyver come to mind. Especially Guyver. I would be very surprised if Mynki didn't cite Guyver as one of his main influences when designing Frames, or if he denied having read/watched it.

Guyvers.jpg

Edited by Noble_Cactus

I imagine coptering looks weird to some people because it looks exaggerated for the animation (flying great distances with a little spin), the exaggeration being the cartoony or 'anime' part. I, personally, have no qualms with coptering.

Well yeah. come to think of it it does look pretty comical. I guess that's not intended.

• 2 weeks later...

i just don't get you people, coptering requires actual skill, it might look dumb but that's just proof that it's not easy to perform well, want to move fast, sprint, but want to go sanics? you're going to have to dance on your keyboard/controller for it.

and coptering is no longer a bug, so not liking it is not enough to get it removed now, it's got DE's seal of approval.

and one last thing, no, it does NOT allow the slowest of the slow to outrun the fastest of the fast, if neither  has the zorens the faster frame wins, if both have the zorens, the fastest frame STILL wins, this is like complaining a frost outran your loki because he had rush and you didn't and don't want to use rush, it's the same thing. so if you want to complain about unjust speed buffs, complain about rhino prime and his +25% speed rhino-only helmet

Coptering is difficult on a controller (noticed you're a PSN user) but it's insanely easy with mouse and keyboard

It's not the spinning and flying a huge distance that looks dumb to me, it's the fact that its the same exact animation as you do on the ground and it ends with you walking on air. The ground animation looks fine... but in the air it just looks incredibly unpolished.