The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Gpu Maxing Out In Menu Screen

MortalEngine

Heyo,

I have a  NVIDIA GTX780 and when i load up warframe the GPU usage spikes from 35% to 90-100% It stays this way on the login screen and loadout screens. You can hear the fan just suddenly spike, spinning its guts out. Any idea what causes this? It has made me very hesitant to keep playing

Enable vertical sync in game.

If Vertical Sync is disabled, your GPU is going to run at maximum power to render as many frames as possible, which is well beyond than what your monitor's refresh rate.

Considering most monitors don't refresh faster than 60Hz, letting your GPU put out more than 60 frames a second is a bit pointless. (Basically your GPU will be putting out 250+ FPS, but only 60 frames of those 250 actually get rendered)

I have a MSI GTX 780 Lightning and the GPU usage does go to nearly 100% at the star chart. The real kick in the balls is the poor GPU utilization during the void, OD and random missions in the star chart. You will see the GPU use 35% to 70% at best during any given mission. We have so much horse power with a GTX 780 and the game is not using it. Makes me into one sad panda. 

Enable vertical sync in game.

If Vertical Sync is disabled, your GPU is going to run at maximum power to render as many frames as possible, which is well beyond than what your monitor's refresh rate.

alternatively, if you don't like VSync - personally to me, the Input Delay VSync adds is one of the circles of hell - you can set a Framerate Cap.

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/nvidia_inspector_download.html'>Nvidia Inspector has complete control over Driver level settings, so you can set a much more reasonable Framerate Cap, instead of the menu running at upwards of 600FPS :p

(if you want a little bit of direction with the application, as it does have a lot of feature control - once the application is running, click the wrench icon to the right of the Driver Version box;

once there, at the top, type in Warframe, and choose the Warframe profile. create one with the sun shaped icon if Warframe doesn't exist already. it probably does already exist though, and will automatically tie the application executables in. you can tie in more of them if you'd like, though. once you have a profile selected, there is a window shaped icon with a + and an X for adding or removing executables to the profile. choose any and all you want, preferably tying both Warframes' 32 and 64-bit Executables, just to be safe;

now, for a Framerate Cap, there should be an entry called 'Frame Rate Limiter' in the 'Common' section. set it to whatever you please, there's a good number of options - and make sure to click apply changes at the top right;

close both windows, they don't need to be open at all times, it just edits Driver settings, and now when you run Warframe, the Framerate will be capped, without turning on VSync).

Edited by taiiat