Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] Wings

Jeahanne

I hate editing things after I post them >.<;

I like to have things as close to finished as possible before I post them.

Don't we all know... Xp

I have the same issue with my thread, but I always aim to write something a day. You don't have to write printed gold, but just write something, because you can always edit it later.

Not a good idea. Edits piss me off tbh XD

Might as well take a while, and not force it upon yourself to write. Your stuff becomes infinitely more awesome that way. Trust me, I've written a total of nearly 100,000 words of Warframe fanfics myself.

Don't we all know... Xp

Not a good idea. Edits &!$$ me off tbh XD

Might as well take a while, and not force it upon yourself to write. Your stuff becomes infinitely more awesome that way. Trust me, I've written a total of nearly 100,000 words of Warframe fanfics myself.

I find that to be more annoying than anything else, the having to wait till I get into the mood part at least. I actually try to get myself into the most depressing mood and start writing, whether I like it or not. Unless I have a test... or something in school. 

• 1 month later...

So it's been a long time... sorry about that, but I do have a new short chapter. Sorry for the long absence.

Ties That Bind

Peregrine was more than happy, she was practically vibrating with anticipation by the time she, Birch, Isaac, and Kyoko made it to the Foundry; even Jay had picked up on the mood and was beeping excitedly from his perch on the girl’s head by the time the doors hissed open. Peregrine was the first through, bolting into the room fast enough to beat even Birch to the table where he usually sat, probably even beating the breeze from the opening of the doors into the space. Once inside, she stood in the middle of the floor, bouncing up and down on the balls of her feet.

Isaac just laughed, “Just a minute girl, let Birch get it all out for you.” He moved to one side to allow the Loki past him, but placed a restraining hand on Kyoko’s arm as she passed the entryway. He whispered to her low enough the girl couldn’t hear him, “Before you freak out, know some new information has come in that’s spurred a lot of this. I’ll talk to you about it as soon as we’re done here.”

The healer just glanced at him confused as he moved farther into the room, but said nothing. His tone had been low and serious, and pitched so that even the child’s sharpened hearing wouldn’t have been able to let her pick out what was said. Something important must have happened recently. She mulled over the possibilities in her mind as she watched the two other Tenno start piling things into the girls arms. They were mostly necessary items that the Dojo hadn’t already had in stock in child’s sizes; clothes, shoes, a hair brush, a few small decorative trinkets like the falcon-shaped hair clip that Isaac immediately put into the girls messy short hair, and a miniature wooden sword shaped similarly to a Skana. Kyoko frowned as Isaac knelt down, the wooden weapon laid down flat across his palms, and presented the last item to the girl.

“Now Peri,” he told her, his voice grave, “this is not a toy. If you’re willing I’d like to teach you some of our ways so you’ll be able to keep yourself safe when I or the others aren’t around. This is a serious thing, and not something to be taken lightly, but I’m offering this if you want it.”

The girl’s small hands fluttered across the weapon, feeling it out with a look of serious concentration on her face. “Safe?” She looked up at the still helmetless Rhino.

“Yes, safe,” he paused and sighed, unsure how to phrase things in a way the girl could understand without scaring her, “We’re Tenno, Peri. We fight, it’s what we’re good at, but we do it to protect the people and things we care about. You’re not Tenno, but we can teach you things to help protect you if you want to. We don’t have to either, it’s your choice.”

She stood there for a long moment, hands resting gently on the smooth surface of the training weapon, and then nodded. “Okay.”

He nodded gravely as her hands curled protectively around the sword and she clutched it close to her body. “Now, why don’t you go put all of your new things in your room?” Suddenly grinning happily, the child grabbed her newly acquired belongings and practically skipped out of the door, her laughter echoing joyfully behind her.

“I have to admit Isaac, when you asked me to make that thing I thought you might have finally lost it, but,” Birch hesitated and ran a hand nervously through his hair, “if the new information coming in is true, I think you might be  right about all of this.”

Seeing the look of confusion in Kyoko’s face, Isaac clarified, “We just had our latest squad come back from the field. The Grineer seem to be actively hiding any and all information on that girl’s parents, which is never a good sign. While it means at least one of them is likely still alive, they’re becoming increasingly difficult to track down. We’re having to call in a lot of favors, and the Alliance leaders aren’t happy about any of it.”

Kyoko felt her heart drop into her stomach, “They found out so soon?”

Birch nodded, “Yeah, and they aren’t happy. You know how egotistical they are. We have, in their words, ‘Breeched security, flouted procedure, besmirched tradition and have singlehandedly brought great dishonor upon not just our clan and alliance, but also the Tenno as a whole’ by taking her in, and the situation in their eyes is only becoming more embarrassing the longer she’s here.”

Kyoko winced, “Ouch.”

Isaac frowned and snorted, “And to make things worse, among all this pressure to be ‘rid’ of her as fast as we can, there are divisions and uprisings popping up among the colonies like wildfire. It’s turning into an enormous problem, because while none of it is organized it’s just drawing attention from the outside and puts even more of what’s not under faction control in further risk. There’re rumors that some small organized forms of resistance are popping up, but they’re being squelched just as quickly as they make appearances and there aren’t enough Tenno to go around to support them. It’ll be years, if ever I think, before anything gels enough among what’s left of the free population to provide anything resembling protection for noncombatants. As it is, it’s all destabilizing quickly and I don’t feel comfortable sending Peri to any colony right now, no matter what the pressure is coming from our esteemed alliance leadership among the Citadel.”

“Thus the push for training for her,” the healer muttered. “And do the leaders up at the top of the Citadel know about this yet?”

“No,” Birch shook his head and crossed his arms, “and we need to keep it from them for as long as we can, so much so that we’re actively stalling. Isaac and I agreed that we need to prepare Peri as quickly as we can to defend herself for the time when our hand is forced from above. Even as clan leader here, Isaac only has so much power, and with as much as we owe the Citadel… well I don’t see us trying to leave the alliance peacefully being successful. You know how eager they were to have us. They proved they’d do anything to get us stuck in their alliance and there’s no doubt in my mind they’ll do just about anything to keep us. We might be small, but we are talented.”

Kyoko moved to a nearby chair and sat down heavily, putting her head in her hands as she massaged her temples while she thought. “She’ll be a sitting duck no matter what we do. Sure, she copes well while here, but in an unfamiliar area? She can’t see, and her hearing can only get her so far. With instability in the colonies and being alone, she’d be an easy victim for the factions if some unsavory individual within a colony didn’t get to her first.”

“Well, I do have a radical idea…” the foundry master offered.

“More radical than your idea about hiding a few Orokin reactors and catalysts in the chef’s potato bin?” She teased.

The Loki just laughed, “That wasn’t me. Besides, he said he wanted more quality produce so he can’t really complain when someone donates to his noble cause. But yes, more radical even than that, assuming we have the time to pull it off.” He walked across the room and pulled out several sets of blueprints that he unrolled onto his desk, weighing the corners down with paperweights and other random parts and heavy tools nearby.

“And here I thought I was the insane one, Birch,” Isaac muttered as he moved to look down at the papers, tracing over them with a fingertip as he studied them. “’Zephyr’… these are warframe blueprints?” The foundry master nodded, “Birch, even if we could construct this for her, she’d need years of training before she’d be able to use it, she’s still just a kid. And hell, we’re not even certain why we can use warframes, would she even be compatible?”

Kyoko cleared her throat, “I don’t know about compatible, but I doubt that’ll be a problem if the frame is built for her. And also, she’s not as young as she seems to be… She’s actually closer to 13 or so,” she stood up and brushed herself off at the baffled looks the two men gave her, “Think about it, she’s had little to no human interaction for most of her life due to her disabilities. Her, for lack of a better term, social retardation, has been due to being unable to learn how to deal with people in any normal way and makes her act much younger than she actually is. Add to that the likely malnourishment that she and the rest of the crew of that ship had to deal with scrounging for food all the time, it’s really no surprise she’s so small either. We already know similar cases are common even in the more well traveled colonies.”

Isaac raised an eyebrow, “Even if that’s the case and she is old enough to become an apprentice, so to speak, she’s still several years out from being a full Tenno and able to use a warframe.”

“Who says she needs to be a full Tenno first.” Birch said, smirking. “The Zephyr warframe specializes in dealing with air currents, so all we have to do is heavily modify it to be a full-body prosthetic. She’ll ‘see’ via air movements, a bit like echolocation. I’ve been working on modifications to make it more sensitive to reading currents and relaying that information to the user in a format that Peri will be able to interpret in a more natural manner, making it act like a new sense altogether in many respects. It will still take a long time to get working, but it’s do-able.”

“It’s possible… but how much time do we think we can actually milk this situation for until we can’t put off the Citadel any longer?” the healer muttered.

Isaac straightened up and stretched, his muscles and joints popping, “As long as we have to. Peregrine won’t know it, but I’ll push her as far and as fast as I can in the time we have, and when I’m not around the other clan members can help train her as well. Even if we can’t get this ‘prosthetic’ idea working, if the Citadel forces us to leave her alone she needs to know enough to take care of herself.”

“I’ve volunteered to take the lead in organizing information.” Birch spoke as he rolled the blueprints back up and put them away, “If we can find and recover Peri’s parents it’ll at least give us a better base of getting her out of the Dojo and somewhere safe, and once she’s out make certain she won’t be alone and unprotected. More than that though, we need to manage how much information the Citadel gets from us and when they get it.”

Kyoko nodded, “And missions? How will those be handled?”

“To all outside observance, as normal,” the clan leader said, “We’ll upkeep the façade of looking for a place to send her without actually making any commitments and collect the information we need about her parents as discreetly as possible. In the mean time, we’ll keep our noses clean so the Citadel has as little excuse to poke their noses into our business as possible and train Peri covertly. If we play this right, we might be able to pull off having her ‘prosthetic’ complete and her training at least half done before they’re any the wiser.”

“And if things don’t go as planned?” the healer asked.

Isaac grinned wolfishly, “We’re Tenno, and, more importantly, we’re clan Novus. We work better under pressure, and small as we may be Citadel will learn the hard way not to mess our people.”

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Your compliments honestly mean a lot to me ^-^

I'm working on the next piece already and have quite a bit of the entirety of the plot line for the overall story outlined as well, but due to being sleep deprived by our new puppies I've been slow on actually making it coherent. I'm aiming for a post a week, so the next one should be up within the next few days, but I can't make any solid promises. If you want to lay blame on anyone, lay it upon my fluffy maniacs xP

WP_20140524_010_zps67dd372e.jpg

MistyCocoaandRiver_zpsfa787dea.jpg

Sorry for the wait though, I will try to work quickly and get it up as soon as I can while still having it make sense.

Edited by Jeahanne

They definitely are and that's actually an old picture. That's from when those two were 8 weeks old and they're closer to 12-13 now. Misty, the merle one, was about 10lbs then and she's closer to 17-19lbs now, and Cocoa is the brown one and she was about 8 lbs then and is close to 15lbs now xD

What's been keeping me busiest is helping to house train and socialize my aunt's 8week old Mini Aussie, River, who is a whole 4lbs and loves to roughhouse with everyone else, so I have to keep her from getting trampled amidst all the chaos she causes lol I'd post a picture of her but I haven't gotten any off of my phone yet. She just got here Sunday, so I've been incredibly tired since she cries all night still and I have to be up really early to watch her and the others all day (having 5 dogs, three of them puppies, is a LOT to handle more or less alone). Once she settles in and/or is housebroken and trained enough to go home permanently I'll have a bit more down time to write.

As it is I sit down and get some stuff on paper, but it's usually rambling and a bit random since I've been so tired and I'm almost constantly interrupted. That said, I AM working on a new post, I just have to find enough caffeine to stay awake to finish it xD

*edit: I went ahead and added a second picture to my previous post. The second one also has tiny little River in it.

Edited by Jeahanne

• 2 weeks later...

So here's a new chapter in which it seems like Biblical names are becoming a theme with me, which I'm not sure is good or bad xD. I'm not entirely sure it's ready, especially because of all of this new awesome lore hidden away in the new update that might change things, but here it is anyway.

The next chapter is also already a work in progress, so with any luck it should be up soon. However, I've got various doctors appointments and such this coming week, along with some new medications to try, so if I end up sick and unable to post the next chapter for awhile I'm sorry ahead of time. Anyway, I hope you all enjoy, and thanks for being so patient.

Politics

The leader of the alliance called the Citadel paced in a lavish set of private quarters that he’d had built for himself, impatiently brooding. His Oberon warframe’s boots clacked officiously on the metallic white floor, and his reflection was distorted grotesquely in the various shining metal surfaces around the room as he restlessly walked; first seven steps across the room one way, then a crisp turn and seven steps back, only to turn sharply again and repeat. He had always thought better on the move, and his mind at that moment was preoccupied with the problem that was the tiny clan called Novus.

The Citadel’s leader had worked very hard to acquire the services of the small but exceptional group of Tenno, and in so doing had expended a great amount of time and resources. In the end, where months of negotiations had failed, extreme measures had eventually succeeded, but for all of the benefits of having the clan under his banner they were also causing him numerous headaches. He had known the leader, Isaac, was going to be a problem, but the gamble that had been made was that he and his clan’s services would be worth the trouble. The Rhino was the epitome of idealistic and ran on his own unwritten set of rules and definition of honor. If any orders or conventions were passed down to the Tenno that violated them, he would ignore them and do as he pleased regardless of the consequences. However, until recently the Alliance leader had been able to keep him under control, but this most recent infraction was unconscionable.

It’s as if that fool doesn’t know anything. The Oberon fumed internally, his boots still clicking a staccato rhythm against the floor with every stride. Does he not realize who we are? We’re Tenno, an exclusive race of the elite. We are not some orphanage for homeless waifs of questionable origin.

The man continued pacing with his hands clasped behind him and his eyes cast downward, his eyebrows drawn together in an expression of thunderous but strictly controlled fury. He turned plans over and over in his mind, his thoughts moving quickly as he scrutinized each and every idea for flaws. He had just come to a decision when his pacing and brooding was abruptly ended by a soft knock on the door and a muffled voice.

“Overlord Malachi,” the female’s tone was muted but businesslike as she spoke from the other side of the closed door, “Warlord Isaac of clan Novus requests audience.”

A sinister smile wormed its way across the man’s face at the announcement, and not just because of the sense of pride he felt in being called the self-appointed title he’d taken when he became the Alliance’s leader. He couldn’t have asked for more fortuitous circumstances. He needed to deal with the Clan leader quickly before the situation with that clan’s adopted urchin became even worse, and instead of a long drawn out political dance to arrange a meeting the problem came to him? Perfect.

“Allow him in,” Malachi called back in an even voice, quickly hiding his smile beneath a mask of cold formality.

A moment later the archaic and lavish set of wooden doors opened and a man stepped inside. Unlike the Overlord and Warlord of the Alliance’s leading Clan, he was unarmed and clad only in simple but well made robes in his clan’s colors with only the most subtle hints declaring his rank. He was dressed as oppositely as possible to the man before him, who was arrayed in full battle dress, with his weapons laying in a case just off to one side of the room.

“Warlord,” he said modestly, inclining his head slightly.

“Isaac, how good to see you,” Malachi greeted him, a grin oozing slimily across his face and his voice heavy with false sincerity as he blatantly ignored the leader of Clan Novus’s failure to use his ostentatious title. “You look well. How is that little Clan of yours doing?”

“We have our share of problems, but we’re getting by. I see you’re doing well for yourself.” The Rhino looked about the lavishly appointed room with detached interest.

“Indeed,” the helmetless Oberon grinned wider, “The Citadel is doing well for itself and as such so am I. I could be persuaded to increase your Clan’s budget as well, if you were interested. I know you owe us a great deal as it is, but for your people’s willing services I could perhaps send along a few luxuries for your own personal use.”

One of Isaac’s eyebrows twitched but he allowed no other emotion to show on his face, “No, thank you.”

The other Warlord let out a theatrical sigh, “As you wish then. So tell me, what occasion is it that gives me the pleasure of your company?” Isaac watched as the Oberon strode across the room to pour some amber liquid from a crystal decanter into a matching glass, “Would you care for a drink?”

The small Clan’s leader shook his head and remained standing in the center of the room, “I won’t be here long. I only came here to talk to you about the problem you seem to have with the girl my Clan took in.”

“Ah, her,” Malachi managed to fill that one word with the same amount of scorn as another person might have used with a term like “scum” or “refuse”, “Have you finally relocated her then? It’s been quite awhile you know… almost two months.”

“No, not yet. That’s what I came to discuss.”

The man frowned and looked down into his glass and the liquid he was swirling within it. “I fail to see what is taking you so long. It’s not complicated; just send her to a colony like all of the rest of her kind.”

“The colonies are unstable, as you well know,” Isaac informed him, failing to rise to the bait of the insult, “Besides, her treatment is still ongoing. Until she’s fully healed she is still mine and my clan’s responsibility.”

“The colonies are always unstable,” Malachi answered sourly, “and her continuing treatment is not only a waste of resources but an embarrassment. If you continue to squander the assets my Alliance and Clan have so generously given you, do you really expect us to keep supporting you? How long would you last, I wonder, without proper medical supplies? And until your debt is paid I cannot let you go off on your own. It would be such a shame if you and your Clan’s honor were besmirched because of such a silly show of pride as this.”

“Is that a threat Overlord Malachi?” Isaac’s tone was deceptively mild.

“Not at all! I am merely explaining to you the situation your actions are putting you and you Clan in, Warlord Isaac,” the Alliance leader’s voice was pleasant as he sipped his drink. “So I can safely assume that this little problem will be rectified with all haste? After all, the longer this drags out the longer you stay indebted to the Citadel.”

“To the contrary,” Isaac’s eyes tracked the movements of the other Tenno, who was leaning apparently carelessly against the case where his weapons were stored, nursing his drink. “I came to inform you that placing her will take quite a bit of time, although we are working on it. There should be no expectation of her relocation any time in the near future.”

“That is… unfortunate.” Malachi said as he set the heavy-bottomed glass onto the opulent cabinet he had been leaning against. “I hope you understand that there will be repercussions for this.”

Isaac watched as the other Tenno’s hand idly stroked the gold-plated sheathe of a Dragon Nikana sitting displayed on the cabinet’s top. “There are always consequences, Malachi. That is, after all, the nature of the Balance.”

“Indeed.”

Edited by Jeahanne