Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Flying Enemies, Aerial Attacks And "the Sword Alone"

Casardis

A0AgvEk.jpg

Suggestion is pretty simple and it's something I've requested/brought up multiple times in some topics that addressed melee attacks and mechanics (before U13). However, it needs to be done correctly for it to actually work.

Flying enemies are a pain, and it's even more so when you're going "the sword alone," which is one of the main promotions for the update. Sure I'd like a challenge, but when a drone is stuck in in a high level, and I haven't equipped any melee weapons because I wanted to try this "challenge" that the Lotus suggested, it's just frustrating.

Also, I mainly play Trinity, so there's no Rhino Stomp to help me there. Also, the aerial Slide Attack IS NOT a good alternative right now.

So, even though it wouldn't help if enemies are glitched in the ceilling, at least giving us a regular jump attack would make things much more fluid and easier to go melee-only mode.

Jump Attack Mechanics

- Tapping the melee button in the air will do a regular jump attack that gives a slight momentum based on your current one (no stopping awkwardly midway like what heavy melee usually do)

-- This attack usually involves spinning to hit multiple targetes

-- Can be done multiple times by repeatedly tapping, as long as you're in the air (Zephyr may get interesting results).

-- Example from Dragon's dogma:

- Holding the button will do the current Slam attack.

- A different aerial attack can be done by which targets nearest enemy while in the air, to do a distance-close-in aerial attack for quick maneuver and damage/stun dealer

-- One way to do it would be to hold the Block button while in the air, then pressing the attack button

-- This attack usually involves a quick single-enemy strike unless they're very close to each other, in which case it will hit both with the attack arc.

-- This attack can be done in succession with good timing if using certain weapons, like daggers and twin swords

- This is based on Ninja Gaiden's Flying Swallow attack. Example here:

http://youtu.be/vcOR2uO4-TI?t=3m5s

Advantages of Jump attacks

- Regular Aerial attack allows you to actually hit flying enemies properly, and maneuver around with parkour + attacks

- Flying Swallow-esque attack allows you to close in distance with enemies while dodging as you kill one and switch to another

- Not much need to do weird button combination like the aerial slide attack (which some people still have trouble doing).

DE plz.

EDIT: Orokin drones are currently bugged by the way. You can't hit them with any melee attacks unless you're doing slams, which does merely 20-something so it's not reliable (and you look dumb spamming it to destroy a drone when you have unequipped all your guns).

EDIT 2: Orokin drones still not fixed as of latest update 13.5.3. Melee 2.0 still lacking core mechanic of aerial attack to be viable when going "sword alone."

Edited by Casardis

Or they could just, you know, make your sword strikes actually go where your cross hair is aimed......

Which is what I've been suggesting for almost a year now......

Then you could hit enemies lying down in front of you *and* in the air.

This is a good suggestion and I won't say no to it, but won't help when enemies are flying too high. Also, it doesn't do anything to improve maneuvers.

So I say have both.

I don't see the problem with w-ctrl-e.

Little finger on ctrl, thumb on space, fingers on A,W,D, switch D to E to attack.

You don't see the problem. I don't have the problem. Some of my friends do, however. They have their own reason, and telling them to "get good" doesn't help the case.

I may not have the problem but I can see how some may have with it. Also, the current aerial slide attack doesn't help enough with it, and isn't that intuitive/fluid to do what I'm suggesting.

Edited by Casardis

This is a good suggestion and I won't say no to it, but won't help when enemies are flying too high. Also, it doesn't do anything to improve maneuvers.

So I say have both.

You don't see the problem. I don't have the problem. Some of my friends do, however.

I may not have the problem but I can see how some may have with it. Also, the current aerial slide attack doesn't help enough with it, and isn't that intuitive/fluid to do what I'm suggesting.

Both would be ideal, but I'm pretty sure my idea would be easier to implement. and if they haven't implemented it after a year of having it suggested repeatedly.....

Both would be ideal, but I'm pretty sure my idea would be easier to implement. and if they haven't implemented it after a year of having it suggested repeatedly.....

They also spent a year not addressing the melee system. However, they are now. My suggestion to you would be to bring this up again in its own topic, or as part of a general melee 2.0 feedback.

I'm fairly certain the Orokin drones can't even get hit, swinging my orthos against one thats hovering in front of my face does nothing, and attacks that actually hit it, the jump attack, deals 17 damage.

Yeah they are bugged at the moment. I'm just giving this feedback as a general thing because the problem I'm pointing stands even if you can actually hit them.

Yeah they are bugged at the moment. I'm just giving this feedback as a general thing because the problem I'm pointing stands even if you can actually hit them.

I had an idea about tapping the weapon switch key to fire a shot from your secondary with your offhand.

Edited by Rettycombine

I had an idea about tapping the weapon switch key to fire a shot from your secondary with your offhand.

Very cool idea and could be implemented for gunkata-techs, but again, my concern here is for when you unequip ALL weapons except melee to go "sword alone", so that won't help in that situation.

most frames have abilities that can make up for this.

actually all frames have abilities that can kill flying including trin. Use energy siphon it deals damage and gives you energy.

That doesn't deal enough damage and it is not excuse not to add a proper jump attack that CLEARLY will make melee experience better. All guns can do all jobs; DE's idea was so melee can as well as long as you have the skills. Right now we don't have the proper mechanics of jump attack to have the skill. Instead we have the strange aerial slide attack which misses often with non heavy weapons, and can't hit enemies above you.

Have you tried fly kicks in the air, or spin slashes in the air?

It's a chore but that's how I do it before melee 2.0 and expected better after it. Combos shouldn't be restricted to the ground, especially not space ninjas. Maneuver is needed for a dynamic and interestingly responsive melee system.

I usually use wall attacks to swat things out of the air. Fun fact: Update 13 changed it so you can now aim up and down when doing wall attacks, and you no longer stop in midair as of several weeks ago.

Great for taking out ospreys and cameras alike without having to spend energy or pull out your primary.

I usually use wall attacks to swat things out of the air. Fun fact: Update 13 changed it so you can now aim up and down when doing wall attacks, and you no longer stop in midair as of several weeks ago.

Great for taking out ospreys and cameras alike without having to spend energy or pull out your primary.

This is a nice way to do it, but I think that this combined with regular aerial attacks will make it more fluid. Right not those moves all feel "sticky."

They also spent a year not addressing the melee system. However, they are now. My suggestion to you would be to bring this up again in its own topic, or as part of a general melee 2.0 feedback.

Already have. Fingers crossed it gets implemented, as it's currently sad and hilarious that the mighty Tenno are foiled by a single ceiling grate. 

Already have. Fingers crossed it gets implemented, as it's currently sad and hilarious that the mighty Tenno are foiled by a single ceiling grate. 

Let's keep these feedback strong then! Melee 2.0 just came out, so if there's changes/additions to be made, now's the best time~

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Or they could just, you know, make your sword strikes actually go where your cross hair is aimed......

Which is what I've been suggesting for almost a year now......

Then you could hit enemies lying down in front of you *and* in the air.

THIS

additionally why we cannot swing in mid air has blown my mind since day 1

make quick melee perform mid-air swipes while jumping (aimed at crosshairs like mentioned above), then make HOLDING melee perform the downward smash that is our current only mid-air melee

destroying cameras and drones by jumping around and slamming the ground like a freaking idiot is HORRIBLY immersion breaking, srsly

neways, just like +9999 OP

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

I like the off hand shoot idea, but it doesn't fix the problem when you equip melee only. The revamped air melee attacks sound good though. Another option would be to make all melee weapons throwable. Obviously to make the glaive still unique it would have to be very inefficient, long windup time and slow throw speed, but I agree the option needs to be there to take out flying enemies with just melee.