Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Got Melee 1.25 - Let's Have Real Melee 2.0

Rakuall

Channel should toggle with Caps. Block should go back to where it was. Let us use L-Click, R-Click, (default melee [E I think? F is better]), and R as different swings, and build combos from those. Maybe throw activate (Tab I think? E is better] in as an attack if there's no contextual action up too.

Then we have 4-5 swings to free combo, and DE could still make specific, special chains of attacks for stances. That's what I was hoping for from Melee 2.0, you know, a REAL melee system.

What was the last fighting/brawling game (Soul Caliber, Smash Bros,God of War, Darksiders, etc.) that had ONE button mapped to attack? Come DE, stop with the over-hyped half-measures.

What was the last fighting/brawling game (Soul Caliber, Smash Bros,God of War, Darksiders, etc.) that had ONE button mapped to attack?

One Finger Death-Punch. It's kind of the whole point of the game, actually.

That aside, I would also like to see some more variety in the combat. Maybe a heavy attack button, at least.

Come DE, stop with the over-hyped half-measures.

i agree with what you've said, but please, don't be another person that blames the sky being blue on Digital Extremes. it's the players that got super hyped, which even made Digital Extremes delay this Melee overhaul, because the hype was greater than the improvements.

Channel should toggle with Caps.

I had to force myself to read the rest of your posting because right there I had major amounts of "no."

And why? Because Warframe always needs to be equally reliable to play on a controller, and any new keybind is likely one key too much.

Melee 2.0 is about equipping your melee weapon and thus sacrificing your ranged arsenal in favor for more "in your face oomph". While I admit we miss a quickshot feature, what you are suggesting is bringing a 100% fusion with equal footing, and that is not something I think would be good for Warframe. Else it is just another Devil May Cry clone.

IF they introduce a second button for different attacks, then only when they want to make it worth it, for sure.

At first I was disappointed that we didn't get both, timed attacks + two buttons. The channel option actually made it feel surprisingly fresh.

I was expecting something more like Vindictus because with two buttons instead of one, you make and MUCH larger pool of combos then just one button.

That being said I absolutely love the current melee system still and think it's fine and I can definitely stick with it for awhile. 

i agree with what you've said, but please, don't be another person that blames the sky being blue on Digital Extremes. it's the players that got super hyped, which even made Digital Extremes delay this Melee overhaul, because the hype was greater than the improvements.

I expected melee 2.0 and dark sectors to suck but this is still dissapointing to me.

It isnt because we got super hyped but because de used melee 1.0 added channeling and counter inuitive combos without addressing real problems and called it melee 2.0.

And even you consider overhyping then halfproduct isnt acceptable state and ppl are doing what they must to at least try and improve it.

Edited by Davoodoo

LOL no! DE hypes the sh1t out of their content, dude. They unabashedly talk up the work being done on LiveStreams and some PrimeTime's. Then the teasers, the farking TEASERS! Did you forget the entire webpage that was dedicated to hype, created by DE's Markting dept.?

The players get excited because DE gets them excited. Stop being a goddamned fanboy.

I had to force myself to read the rest of your posting because right there I had major amounts of "no."

And why? Because Warframe always needs to be equally reliable to play on a controller, and any new keybind is likely one key too much.

Melee 2.0 is about equipping your melee weapon and thus sacrificing your ranged arsenal in favor for more "in your face oomph". While I admit we miss a quickshot feature, what you are suggesting is bringing a 100% fusion with equal footing, and that is not something I think would be good for Warframe. Else it is just another Devil May Cry clone.

IF they introduce a second button for different attacks, then only when they want to make it worth it, for sure.

At first I was disappointed that we didn't get both, timed attacks + two buttons. The channel option actually made it feel surprisingly fresh.

"PS4 development will not gimp the PC version at all!" /sarcasm

An ignorant statement that developers continue to market as an actual possibility.

Why is it ignorant? Because, for everyone to be able to use it, a system must reduce itself to function at the level of the lowest common denominator.

Edited by psyanide

Good suggestions, though my middle mouse button is broke so I like block being right click. 

Things to add

-Stanceless combos or at least common mods for all weapons.

- Special animations for the enemy you land on sword first. 

- Elemental effect trails

-No elemental effects on idle weapons. 

I think people are being far too over critical about Melee 2.0, it was called that because it changed the mediocre 1.0 system into something better. Key word there is better. If you've played prior to melee 2.0 you'd notice there wasn't really a melee system, it was just sort a slapped on melee thingy to flesh out the theme of being a ninja. I've never once felt like a ninja in Warframe, heck I don't think the theme "Ninja's in space" even fits the game. 

As for new combo's and such I'll wait to see what's next, sure it would be great to have them but I think there are far more important things to be worked on. I'd personally like to see Warframe have an actual end game, the Dark Sectors are just eh...

Another fact speaking against the middle mouse button that I've forgotten to name in my last post, is that it is by default mapped to "use selected power." So this is just another case of not thinking things through and basing it off their own customized keybinds. Some people stick to the standard keybinds, some change them to a large extent. I'm of the latter, not even moving with W-A-S-D but with E-S-D-F to give my pinkie more work to do, but even then I always keep in mind the original keys when filing suggestions or giving hints to other people.

LOL no! DE hypes the sh1t out of their content, dude. They unabashedly talk up the work being done on LiveStreams and some PrimeTime's. Then the teasers, the farking TEASERS! Did you forget the entire webpage that was dedicated to hype, created by DE's Markting dept.?

yes, they did show they were making changes. however, players extrapolated a lot more out of what they saw than was actually going to exist, or even exists at this time.

Another fact speaking against the middle mouse button that I've forgotten to name in my last post, is that it is by default mapped to "use selected power." So this is just another case of not thinking things through and basing it off their own customized keybinds. Some people stick to the standard keybinds, some change them to a large extent. I'm of the latter, not even moving with W-A-S-D but with E-S-D-F to give my pinkie more work to do, but even then I always keep in mind the original keys when filing suggestions or giving hints to other people.

the best solution, people should then stop suggesting default keybinds, as they are pointless. asking for a function that would improve the game, thumbs up.

asking for it to be mapped to a specific button, thumbs down. 

there's a Controls menu for a reason, ALL Controls should be there. and..... problem solved.

I think I didn't bring my point across properly which made you misunderstand me. I try again:

It doesn't matter which keybind you have for a specific function. I have " W " and "MW-up" as weapon switch, another has F, yet another has middle mouse button, etc. Keybinds can and will change, I didn't object that. It is which FUNCTIONS these keys are executing where things get dicey and this is what I was talking about. My initial voice of concern was about people introducing new functions requiring a new key, not bashing on new functions in general.

Not everyone has the same amount of keys available or can even use these keys, for a multitude of reasons. I do not miss the times when I played whack-a-mole with 42 keybinds in some MMOs just to be as effective as the team required me to be. I'd rather see someone using a clever workaround with existing keys than simply proposing a new one, especially if it is going to be a crucial part of the gameplay.

And having said that;

"PS4 development will not gimp the PC version at all!" /sarcasm
An ignorant statement that developers continue to market as an actual possibility.
Why is it ignorant? Because, for everyone to be able to use it, a system must reduce itself to function at the level of the lowest common denominator.

You do realize that there are also PC players using Controllers to play the game? So this has nothing to do with a platform, your argument is moot.

In an action-oriented game, I prefer less buttons over many. Even though I have the facilities to map every single bind to be in immediate vicinity wherever I need them, doesn't mean I NEED to have them handy.