Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Undertow For 75 Energy, Tidal Surge Expectations

SlyBoots

1) is there any reason why undertow is so damn expensive?

2) and from the devstream 26 and how scott described tidal surge i got the impression the wave would push enemies in front of the wave and pile 'em up - which would have made it somewhat unique compared to the glorified slashdash it actually is.

Edited by SlyBoots

Well undertow does give you immunity to be targetted, getting shot, etc. Also swallows up and damages an indefinite number of enemies, and keeps them immobilized for a rather long time.

I think 75 energy is perfectly reasonable.

Undertow being an AoE CC with a DoT? Not really farfetched there.

Tidal Surge seemed to function very obviously like Rhino Charge, only in a wider berth.

but unlike pretty much all ccs you can't shoot them, you cant move, you can waste it by sliding, they can still kill your senti while you watch in horror, you cant make them walk into it, and while your invinsible your not getting shot anyways

Guest Shibboleet

When modded for duration and only streamline, it's probably the most energy efficient ability in the game (71 seconds for 52 energy).

Tidal Surge seemed to function very obviously like Rhino Charge, only in a wider berth.

Glorified Slashdash? more like funtional RHino charge

please someone tell me they watched the devstream 26, they stated explicitly that tidal surge would round up targets, push em away from the pod in defense - currently all it does is knockdown - what scott said it would do would be so much better. so it is an exact copy of rhino charge or - you know - slashdash with knockdown, dunno why you needed to point that out. :/

Well undertow does give you immunity to be targetted, getting shot, etc. Also swallows up and damages an indefinite number of enemies, and keeps them immobilized for a rather long time.

I think 75 energy is perfectly reasonable.

fair enough i guess but you also can't shoot/use abilities and the enemies are somewhat safe from your teammates as well (think i've seen a report that bladestorm still works on 'em for instance).

When modded for duration and only streamline, it's probably the most energy efficient ability in the game (71 seconds for 52 energy).

70 seconds of sitting around doing nothing and very low damage to the enemies caught within the puddle, with no possibility (except for area of effect abilities?) for your teammates to kill them faster.

Edited by SlyBoots

Guest Shibboleet

70 seconds of sitting around doing nothing and very low damage to the enemies caught within the puddle, with no possibility (safe for aoe abilities?) of your teammates to kill them faster.

I should have quoted your #1 in the list to be clearer. I was only stating that it is efficient in terms of energy use per second, nothing more.

IF Tidal Wave would've worked like it was told to us in the Devstream, then Undertow would be a great finisher.

While the damage doesn't seem satisfying, think about that you deal it every second, no matter how long the duration. Getting it up to 60s isn't that difficult, dealing 1500 damage to all targets over it's duration (not taking into account Power Strength and the 300% on first tick).

In general though, his Tempest Barrage seems like a way better damage CC, as you can still attack enemies while at it.

It's pretty much situational though and I gotta say his skillset is quite good actually.

IF Tidal Wave would've worked like it was told to us in the Devstream, then Undertow would be a great finisher.

makes sense even if that still seems best suited for solo.

I gotta say his skillset is quite good actually.

oh, no doubt about that, he has crowd control in abundance with pretty good damage. the undertow energy cost is no deal breaker but what we got with tidal surge compared to what was said it would be? that stings.

Edited by SlyBoots

While the damage doesn't seem satisfying, think about that you deal it every second, no matter how long the duration. Getting it up to 60s isn't that difficult, dealing 1500 damage to all targets over it's duration (not taking into account Power Strength and the 300% on first tick).

And think how much more damage you, and your team, could do if those targets were still being shot at.

I'm sorry but this is not a game where sitting around passively-aggressively drowning people for a straight minute makes any sense.   The only place this ability has any purpose whatsoever is Infested defense, where you can be assured of a large number of targets that will run into a predictable kill zone...  And Tentacle Swarm will do that a lot better since it only costs 25 energy more, does WAY more damage, and leaves enemies free to be shot at by you and your team.

And think how much more damage you, and your team, could do if those targets were still being shot at.

I'm sorry but this is not a game where sitting around passively-aggressively drowning people for a straight minute makes any sense.   The only place this ability has any purpose whatsoever is Infested defense, where you can be assured of a large number of targets that will run into a predictable kill zone...  And Tentacle Swarm will do that a lot better since it only costs 25 energy more, does WAY more damage, and leaves enemies free to be shot at by you and your team.

Explosive attacks should still hit, which is exactly what you should use against infested.

Yes the tentacles and Tempest Barrage(I think people aren't giving the constant knockdown enough credit) are better situational, but it doesn't mean that puddlemode is crap.

Guest Shibboleet

Explosive attacks should still hit, which is exactly what you should use against infested.

Yes the tentacles and Tempest Barrage(I think people aren't giving the constant knockdown enough credit) are better situational, but it doesn't mean that puddlemode is crap.

Actually I tested just now with an ogris with firestorm on, it did not damage the infested trapped in my allies undertow.