The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydroid. What Do You Think His Role Is?

Tatsukko

Well I have used hydroid for a while now and nearly everyone who has him has a different opinion on what his role is. Some say a tank some say crowd control some say caster. I do not think he is a tank but more of a combo of a caster and crowd control frame. When I logged in today I noticed his energy consumption was put up which I would agree with if his powers did alot of damage or he was a strong frame I do know his first ability seems a bit strong for its energy but,it does not deal much damage and the knock down is what makes it useful. I think overall his ability's should require less energy (apart from giant squid thingy XD) due to the fact they don't do much damage but the crowd control is really useful nearly as useful as a booben (sorry had to make that joke).

The point im trying to make is that his first two powers require to much energy maybe 15 and 25 would be more ideal considering they dont deal huge damage and there main affect is to knockdown bad guys.

Thanks for reading some of you might disagree and some may agree please share your thoughts in the comments

P.S.I used him in conclave and his puddle and kraken do nothing and I felt like I summoned octodad XD

as these guys have said: area denial and crowd control. I haven't used undertow much, because I'm house trained, but barrage can stun a group of enemies for a few seconds, while the tentacles can do the same thing for a much larger area, but doesn't always disrupt  new enemies that run in. tidal surge can group enemies up, making them easier to lock down with tempest barrage

as for damage, the kraken is actually pretty strong, and will kill low level enemies that were initially caught up in it. but once enemies are decently leveled, barrage's only use is to stun an area

He's not pure CC, but a hybride CC / damage frame. Pure CC frames are Vauban for example, his skills do no damage or close to none ( vortex's damage isn't worth mentioning ), while Hydroid can still kill level 60+ enemies just fine with his ult. Ofcourse bigger enemies like heavy gunners or ancients won't immediately die, but the lesser enemies actually ( with my build ) still die in seconds after wave 50. 

As for having the energy upped on a few skills, haven't noticed it yet but before I always stayed at full energy, even when spamming Barrage + Tentacle Swarm so I don't mind a little boost, will  actually give me a reason to use the medium team energy restores. 

Throwing toxic ancients into himself or other tenno using tentacles.

If that's even considered a role.

Also this = false. Enemies don't get thrown around unless either 

A ) the skill ends 

B ) the enemy is dead in which turn it will deal no damage to yourself or allies, not even Toxics since their gass AoE disappears after they die ( unless you're extremely laggy )

So 1 tip : if the skill is about to end don't stand near the tentacles, if you're not Hydroid just don't come near the tentacles period. Never ever ever had a situation where a thrown enemy killed me though, so not to be rude or anything but an experienced player would of been able to avoid such simple things xD. 

Not played him yet but in teams i played with him, its useless like rino or valkyr .

Then you've only played with really really bad players xD. He's nearly up to Vauban standards and is actually a really good replacement if you don't have one, proving he's a valuable asset to any team.

Rhino can be good if build around Roar and Stomp, but usually Rhino players are newer players and have built their Rhinos around self-tankyness and pretty much no team support. 

Valkyr has an incredibly valuable buff with this new melee 2.0 change, namely Warcry. Coupled with any weapon it greatly boosts the DPS for 15 seconds ( 25 ish when modded ) by boosting the attack speed and slowing the enemies which makes it less dangerous to go in CC range. Her ult is also one of the best Rez support skills in the game up with Blessing, allowing to safely rez your teammates and ignoring all the CC and damage while you're rezzing. 

Swashbuckling. He can travel about with near impunity, and anywhere he goes he can both hurt enemies and make it hard for them to fight back.

Very mobile, very versitile and a boon in combat. He is just as fun as Zephyr, but much more useful.

He's definitely a crowd control, but for key areas rather than trying to control wide areas.  I see him being really handy in Interception games because with a duration build he can keep enemies off of the consoles for an extended period and his second power lets him travel between control points pretty quickly.