Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Staff Ragdolling Seems A Bit Absurd...

ExtremistLine

So, I have to say, I am loving Melee 2.0, but I've noticed something about it that's really bugging me. See, I just recently got Crashing Forest (the staff stance mod) and went to go test it with my Bo and shiny new Amphis I built specifically for Melee 2.0. And as I used them, I noticed something...

The ragdoll effects the staff weapons cause is absurd.

I'm pretty sure I could launch a Grineer well over 100 meters in an outdoor map with favorable wind with just a non-channeled basic attack.

I'm not really sure what caused all this, but for me at least, it's really breaking the immersion to smack someone with a quarterstaff and send them flying 50 meters, slamming into a wall.

Now, I know some of you might be saying that you like the new ragdoll launching. Maybe you think it's funny, or just so over the top that it's awesome, ect, ect...But let me present something else, something that puts us at a disadvantage:

This makes it a lot harder for a Nekros to desecrate.

It's no different than sending enemies flying with bolt and bow weapons. I learned this the hard way when me and my buddy went to Earth to grind up more stance mods, and I decided to take my Attica. It made things a lot harder. Sending enemies flying with the Bo or Amphis causes a similar, if not worse problem, considering just how bloody far it sends them.

Anyways, that's just my opinion. I dunno if anyone else shares it, but I really wish DE would fix the physics to semi-realistic levels. Sending an enemy back just a few meters from a hard staff smack? Reasonable. Sending an enemy across the entire map and up to the roof of a room with a staff smack? Way too over the top and ridiculous.

Yes lets remove the only thing that makes Bo fun to use. That would make Bo much more popular.

I see you talking a lot about REALISM. Dude, seriously? This is Warframe.

Edited by RexSol

I also think the way enemies fly off is absurd.

I was really glad that the enemies would be launched after dying from a staff smack, but it shouldn't be 100 feet in the air at 50+ mph.

I'm not sure if this was intended of not by DE, but it just looks like a physics glitch. It looks very unpolished and unprofessional, and I'm sure DE is aware of this.

Sure it looks really funny, because it looks like game physics momentarily broke. But for the sake of the game's quality, this needs to be looked at and fixed at some point.

I agree with OP, a good 3 to 5 meters of ragdoll knockback would have been just fine. Launching enemies into the clouds is just ridiculous. Though funny, it is ridiculous.

I disagree, OP. Nuking bad guys with a channeled attack removes them from being Desecrate fodder too. I think when smacking someone with an electrified pole 1.5x as tall as I am, they should fly like they've just been homerunned out of the park.

If we're sticking to realism, we should get rid of 75% of the weapons in the game. Dual Ichor? Whoever heard of giant poisonous bone axes? Glaive? The only real glaive is a polearm, not a bladed frisbee of death.

If you don't like launching dudez into low orbit, just don't use it. Me, I'm having a blast with my Louisville Amphis.

It doesn't have to be super realistic, it kind of fits for these reasons....

1.We're in space on different ships and planets gravity might be lower than out "real" gravity.Not to mention all the other things come into factor that we may not know about because it's another universe almost.

2.Warframes are space ninjas who can hit the ground so hard time screws up ,turn the air into fire/poison, raise the dead, turn the dead into loot, steal health from enemies, fly, make tornadoes, make enemies into bombs, cause an electric storm, and a whole bunch of other things that are not "realistic" but when they hit an enemy a couple miles into the air with the super charges crazy strong suits ? Oh clearly that's where the line must be drawn.

As for the desecrate skill, don't use a staff with nekros, if anything use a slashing weapon since when an enemy gets cut in half it counts as 2 bodies and doubles the drops.

Bo was like this in very beginning of warframe and it was fun as hell and now that it's back i rather not have it removed because some people think warframe needs to be more realistic even though we're murdering space traveling power rangers.

@Batwing Nobody said to remove Bo.

@Others Nobody is asking to turn Warframe into a simulator.

Of course the launching phenomenon looks funny but I agree it has to be toned down a bit. Warframe is about badass ninja death gods, not a ninjago cartoon.

Re-read OP:

-snip-
 ...I dunno if anyone else shares it, but I really wish DE would fix the physics to semi-realistic levels...
-snip-

I completely agree with semi-realistic. This game is mostly about fantasy characters, weapons, enemies and environments, but there's a certain threshold to make it look serious, and the current staff physics break it.

@Batwing Nobody said to remove Bo.

@Others Nobody is asking to turn Warframe into a simulator.

Of course the launching phenomenon looks funny but I agree it has to be toned down a bit. Warframe is about badass ninja death gods, not a ninjago cartoon.

Re-read OP:

I completely agree with semi-realistic. This game is mostly about fantasy characters, weapons, enemies and environments, but there's a certain threshold to make it look serious, and the current staff physics break it.

Was trying to say that we waited for that mechanic to be added back and now people are complaining it's too unrealistic.

The staff to me is fun and fitting for warframes that could probably destroy a mountain if given the chance.If it bothers you and op then don't use it and pick you want to play with. There's a decent sized group of players who were waiting for this.

I find it odd how much this bothers people.

Edited by Batwing

I never heard of people desperate to have unrealistic staff mechanisms. Everything in excess is bad, and OP stated the point very well.

I mean they just fly off, no acceleration, just a cartoonish thing and that ain't cool at least for us.

I like the staff moves and the general Bo reinvigoration but the flying enemies are a no-no, regardles of the superhuman tenno hypothesis.

I thought it was hilarious the first couple times I launched the enemies out of the park, but then it got stale really fast. The ragdolling needs to be toned down to Damage 1.0 Fragor levels (which was quite close to the "sweet spot" of realism and sadistic ragdoll fun).

It's a bit hard to enjoy hilarious ragdoll physics when it's all occurring off-screen.

Yes lets remove the only thing that makes Bo fun to use. That would make Bo much more popular.

I see you talking a lot about REALISM. Dude, seriously? This is Warframe.

There's a difference between sending enemies flying onto their backs and hitting them then watching their corpses float up to the ceiling like a balloon. One is over-the-top but within the boundaries of suspended disbelief, and the other just looks out of place in the game world's physics.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

Ok how about a compromise since this is getting a bit too heated.

What if we reduced it by maybe 20-40 percent but it gets it back if you have explosive damage on it.I wouldn't go as far as a proc only thing but an explosive bo WOULD send enemies into the atmosphere.

Why would choose blunt weapon over the slash weapon to accompany Nekros in a first place? More pieces = more loot.

Have you tried the Nikana or Dragon Nikana? because I also noticed the abnormal ragdoll it does to enemies, it's like every time i slice something in two the upper half goes away like a home run baseball at the other side of the tileset.

A little tweaking with body physics will be appreciated DE.

Edited by H.Katsura_999

The ragdoll has no negative effect on Desecrate...

If a Desecratable item is in range of you it has a chance to yield an item or orb.

Desecrate's (rank 3) range is 25m without buffs...That's the same size as M. Prime. 

Adding Stretch makes it even bigger.

Bo and Amphis aren't knocking enemies anywhere near that far away. 

Moreover, it was removed from these weapons at one point and the players asked for it to be re-instated.

I get that this is how you feel about the ragdoll effect and you are certainly entitled to your opinion...

That said though, shouldn't you just refrain from using it?

Weapons offer many different styles to suit the tastes of different players.

Why inconvenience players that do enjoy the weapon to suit your personal whims?

I don't like the Tigris, Drakgoon, or Galantine... I don't ask that they be changed because I don't like them though, I simply don't use them.

This is because I recognize that there are players who actually do enjoy those weapons.

I guess the problem with Desecrate may not be the desecration itself but the fact that the body is dumped light years away makes it harder to loot w/e it drops (if it drops anything after desecration) as you may not even notice whre the body landed.

I see more selfishness on the unrealistic side, a balanced physics seem to be the rational/logic way things should be and that's where my vote is. OP has all my support.

Edit: Yeah for desecrating purposes just take a slashing weapon, it will benefit your business overall.

Edited by ArchPhaeton