Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Which Warframe Should I Get Next?

castem

Question

After taking a break from Warframe (the last time I played Oberon was just released), I came back and discovered that I have an empty warframe slot. I'm hoping to get some advice from the community on which warframe I should get to fill that slot.

I mostly play solo & I prefer melee combat and taking on enemies at close range, so many of the frames I use reflect that (they have the durability or tools to survive in melee and at close range).

The current warframes I have are (listed from most used to least used):  Trinity, Rhino, Loki, Ash, Valkyr, and Frost.

Since I've been gone a few new warframes have been added and some old ones have been changed. So what are your suggestions for a new frame for me to try out?

I'm currently considering Saryn, Oberon, Zephyr, or Hydroid, but I'd like to hear others' opinions on this (and I'm more than willing to check out a frame I haven't listed if you think it'll fit my playstyle).

[Note: I've already tried Excalibur and Volt, but wasn't really a fan of either of them.]

Edited by castem

10 answers to this question

For melee I would recommend Hydroid or Frost. Hydroid has an excellent movement/CC skill and all of his skills are very good at stunning the enemy, allowing you to close in and kill people in melee. Frost has Snowglobe, which is a 66% slow, allowing you to slide in, Snowglobe, and take everyone out without them being able to move.

Well Saryn has a high armour a skill that adds toxin to your melee, Molt to draw aggro and a devastating ultimate if things go out of your control,

Zephyr has one ability that almost neglect all ranged damage, highest energy and shields in game and also great mobility.

I'd say any of those two.

But my best advise is "Stay away from Oberon"

Edit: I cannot comment on Hydroid as I don't own him.

Edited by xlraistlx

I would suggest Hydriod for these reasons:

1: he looks fairly tough and can take a fair amount of fire

2: his 2nd ability is a good gap closer and lets you get close and personal with the enemies.

3: his abilities are also suited for solo and survival play styles

3a: His 1st ability has lots of knock down to give you some breathing room and CC utility

3b: his 3rd ability basically makes you invincible for 30 seconds and does some aoe damage around you

3c: his 4th ability is monster CC utility for that Oh Crap moment

Zephyr can close distances very quickly with her first ability. She can also deflect incoming bullets with her third ability. I like her quite a bit as a highly mobile and durable melee frame.

I wouldn't take Saryn until she gets reworked. I love her but she moves too slowly to be useful for melee. She just can't close the distance quickly enough.

You might be interested in Mag or Mag Prime. Her pull ability is really fun to combine with melee. She doesn't have to run quickly when she can pull enemies towards her. Plus she has tons of shields.

Edited by mrecentric

Zephyr has mobility, personal survival, and an annoying CC that pisses everyone off, even if it doesn't fling loot around anymore.

Saryn has the highest damage/energy AoE ability ingame, a decoy that works like an IS and explodes for damage, and an ability that frequently procs viral on enemies. Shes more suited to killing with abilities, and her base health/armor stats make her a canditate for a Rage/Life Strike melee build.

Oberon has a crappy heal, a crappy aoe, a crappy aoe that sorta ccs, and a stagger. Lackluster at high levels, really only good for smash spam at lower levels, which spawns health orbs for the team.

Hydroid's ult is pretty powerful, puddle is a good survival tool, but the #1 is RNG based on effectiveness and the wave tends to get screwed over by -duration modding. Fun but imo a little less effective than other frames.

Mag is awesome, but just against Corpus. Is pretty good against Void, but just sucks hard against Grineer and Infested. Shield Pol is the strongest ability in game against enemies with shields, and the added survivability given to herself and teammates is just cake.

Alright, it sounds to me like Zephyr and Saryn are the top choices, so those will be the ones I'll be going for.  (I'll put Zephyr in the empty slot I have now, and I'll be sure to try out Saryn sometime down the road.)

Thank you to everyone who gave advice!  I really do appreciate it.

Edited by castem

You should also get rid of Ash, imo, as you have Loki, that'll free up a second slot so you can try both.

You could also get rid of Frost and try Nyx, they're both great for defenses.

I would also consider getting a Nekros just so you can bring it to material farming or get invited to more survivals :S