The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Community - An Unpleasable Fanbase?

You are not on neither side.

By labeling the part of the community that express their disappointments as simply "unpleasable," you have placed yourself on the side of the white knights, whether you were aware or not. There are plenty of threads you would call products of an "unpleasable community" that raise awareness of legitimate concerns and have merits that are ignored by DE and ruined by wannabe forum celebs like you.

Jesus, man. Why do you insist on calling me a white knight? It's not the first time. If I was a white knight, I would agree with everything DE does. I don't. Look through my posts and that is obvious. I don't like many things DE does, and at the same time I do like some things they do. If you are going to call me anything, please do your research first. The greatest insult you can deliver is calling me something with no base.

This. One of the most disappointing things about the forums here is how a first post "No" gets upvoted to oblivion.

People with enough maturity can see through the haphazard upvotes and measure the merits of a post, but they are few.

We need the downvote system.

This is how it should be my friend.  I hate saying should but this needs a should in it.

JUST AN EXAMPLE NOT MY PERSONAL FEELS

"Please make a Vulkar Prime."

User1:  "No"

Upvotes: 15  Downvotes: 9

Do not allow someone to DOWN VOTE the UP VOTE button.  Have the forum show the amount of up votes separate from the down votes.  

Jesus, man. Why do you insist on calling me a white knight? It's not the first time. If I was a white knight, I would agree with everything DE does. I don't. Look through my posts and that is obvious. I don't like many things DE does, and at the same time I do like some things they do. If you are going to call me anything, please do your research first. The greatest insult you can deliver is calling me something with no base.

I'm not calling you a white knight, I said you've placed yourself on their side.

With threads like these, you're helping the white knighting immensely.

I'm not calling you a white knight, I said you've placed yourself on their side.

With threads like these, you're helping the white knighting immensely.

I'm... a white knight for saying that positive threads should have a little bit more negative in them to balance it out...

8f8.gif

Another thing about this community is instead of trying to use the search function to find a topic they were going to post about (okay I know it does not work that good they should fix it!) they will just post it instead. So now we will have 10 topics that are talking about the same thing on the front page.

Sometimes the moderators have to make megathreads when events come on because people repost the same thing over and over....

Edited by alphex2357

I also believe the upvote system is biased.   I do not know one forum where you can only up vote and not down vote.  I shouldn't even have to go into detail about how botched that process is.   If upvotes don't mean anything, then remove it.

A prime example of only being able to up vote is Facebook.  You can choose to "Like" something or you can (silently) choose not to.  Up and down votes are pretty "meh" to me, since they often act as informal polls.  It's very easy to click yay or nay, then step away from the post.  It takes a bit more time to write up a comment to explain things to agree or disagree about.  The main vote system that sounds useful to me is flagging unacceptable comments.  Inflammatory comments and posts of that nature don't make for good discussion.

In any case, I'm not so sure I get the reason for the original post.  "Unpleasable fanbases" aren't unique to Warframe.  It happens with other forms of media and it shows that the fanbase is active.  I don't know of any fanbases that are universally "pleased".

I agree.

I also think a lot of people ask for changes because their personal favorites were changed negativity. 

Ive always hated when people do this

I have a few favorites that ill admit freely need some work

My top 3 frames (Loki,Valkyr,Trinity) could all use a nerf in one way or another and my favorite weapon (The Ogris) could too

Even though theyre my favorites i wont complain when theyre nerfed because its for the sake of the game

Edited by Azawarau

A prime example of only being able to up vote is Facebook.  You can choose to "Like" something or you can (silently) choose not to.  Up and down votes are pretty "meh" to me, since they often act as informal polls.  It's very easy to click yay or nay, then step away from the post.  It takes a bit more time to write up a comment to explain things to agree or disagree about.  The main vote system that sounds useful to me is flagging unacceptable comments.  Inflammatory comments and posts of that nature don't make for good discussion.

In any case, I'm not so sure I get the reason for the original post.  "Unpleasable fanbases" aren't unique to Warframe.  It happens with other forms of media and it shows that the fanbase is active.  I don't know of any fanbases that are universally "pleased".

Simple fix.  When up voting and/or down voting you must apply a reason for doing so.   Either way, nothing stops from having an individual just voting and putting nonsense.  

Simple fix.  When up voting and/or down voting you must apply a reason for doing so.   Either way, nothing stops from having an individual just voting and putting nonsense.

I think you misunderstand me.  I'm saying that an up vote/down vote system isn't very useful for fostering discussion.  Omitting the vote system and having people express their views in a post is a more effective way to understand the different points of view about something.

I think you misunderstand me.  I'm saying that an up vote/down vote system isn't very useful for fostering discussion.  Omitting the vote system and having people express their views in a post is a more effective way to understand the different points of view about something.

Well, you can't fix stupid. If you see a first post "No", don't you think it would be better to display how many downvotes it got, instead of just upvotes or no votes at all?

I'm not entirely disagreeing with no votes system because that would let foolishness and maturity speak for themselves, but there are already too many people in the forums whoring for attention and upvotes.

Well, you can't fix stupid. If you see a first post "No", don't you think it would be better to display how many downvotes it got, instead of just upvotes or no votes at all?

I'm not entirely disagreeing with no votes system because that would let foolishness and maturity speak for themselves, but there are already too many people in the forums whoring for attention and upvotes.

With the vote system removed, people will no longer be able to compete on how many senpais have noticed them.  Voting systems also encounter a weird quirk of what appears to be "spiteful voting" or just plain trolling.  Sure, it sometimes is funny, but there's a certain degree of "WTF?!" at the same time.

Examples (with the first number being upvotes and the second one as downvotes, if you can't see the symbols)

"I donated to a local charity that helps the community." [

Edited by SpiderRoll

I feel like I have it pretty good in life.

I'm going to criticize this game, because I think content creators should be criticized. They can't get better if nobody tells them when they float a stinker. I respect the fact that people are pouring themselves into this work and opening up their emotional tenderbits. Having acknowledged that, I want to hold them to the same standard I would hold myself to in endeavors about which I'm passionate.

I don't feel "unpleasable." Heck, I'm grateful every day that I don't live in DPRK. Those poor people are reduced to having to eat grass off the roadside in a desperate bid to suffer through Tomorrow. I sit in my air-conditioned apartment munching garden-fresh produce and local, free-range meat.

Yes, there are actual photos of those brave, starving folks filling garbage bags with roadside grass. We have it GOOD.

The problem with the upvote/downvote thing is that it can become a contest. If I'd be in the dev's place, then I'd just collect the most interesting/creative posts about the same issue, put them in a subsection, and count the upvotes on each post, and then they would have a somewhat fair or at least better comparison.

On the Playstation 4, i've seen a lot of people complain about Updates frequently, wich is annoying because they do not seem to understand the process that the updates have to go trough. People blaim DE when the Sony's certification (wich is done to make sure the update is safe and stable) takes long. Even after the update had passed the certification, some b*tched about connection issues (what did you expect? everyone is logging in at the same time). 

Basically, this is about a fanbase and community which is so varied and divided in opinion that it's impossible to give everyone in it what they want. It's a rather unfavorable job from a developer and creator perspective.

And it doesn't help when we can get so carried away with the freedom of voicing the things that annoy us that we completely forget to even mention the things that we actively enjoy. It's not that we're setting out to be a Tenno Skoom or be as negative as possible — it's just that we take the good things in life so much for granted that we don't see fit to talk about them... and come across as a pessimist as a result. This can in turn lead to the dreaded Unpleasable Fanbase (thunder and lightning).

This is a non-problem. Totally.

The fantasy of an "unpleasable fanbase" is just that. There's no such thing. You can have a negative or toxic community - that emerges when nasty comments and ad-hominem-type fighting go unchecked, which is not how this community is. I see plenty of positive comments, too.

With the negative comments, the developers are intelligent people and we have good community managers and so on - I'm pretty sure they can discriminate between mindless negativity and actual problems and things people dislike. Also, and this is important - it's much more vital to know what people dislike about a game which is fairly successful than what people like. If Warframe was a very unsuccessful game, then trying to salvage out the few liked elements would matter. As it seems to be doing fairly well (even very well), it's much more important to find out what's wrong, and thus what can be improved. So it's absolutely fine that most comments are critical or focus on disliked elements.

With the negative comments, the developers are intelligent people and we have good community managers and so on - I'm pretty sure they can discriminate between mindless negativity and actual problems and things people dislike. Also, and this is important - it's much more vital to know what people dislike about a game which is fairly successful than what people like. If Warframe was a very unsuccessful game, then trying to salvage out the few liked elements would matter. As it seems to be doing fairly well (even very well), it's much more important to find out what's wrong, and thus what can be improved. So it's absolutely fine that most comments are critical or focus on disliked elements.

Agreed. Only when criticized you can get better.

You say that like there exist any fanbase that can be 100% pleased.

Do tell me if you've found a significant one.

I distinctly remember him saying that there is no place where you can please everyone.

Try reading before posting.

Having come from a game I won't mention (hint it involves giant stompy robots) this community and forums are far less toxic then others.  We could have forums that are nothing but a sea of flaming.  Instead there's some nice motility for all sides in discussion it seems to me.

There werent that much of trolls or unpleasent people in warframe. 

That is until Steam release. Now everyone who thinks playing a couple of hours makes them total pros and knowledge about the game. They call for nerfs buffs out of blue just for S#&$s and giggles.

I dont even care anymore. Those people should be punished in forums to keep this community clear. There are so many people who cant take an idea. They need to go.