The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

S.o.s Computer Wizards Needed.

AVEOX

Laptop keeps restarting after shutdown -> close lid.

Does anyone know why?

I'm using a Lenovo U510 (ideapad).

It happens instantly. Turns on before the lid even completely closes.

Then it takes me to this menu:

lenovo-ideapad-u310-touch-novo-key.jpg

Laptop keeps restarting after shutdown -> close lid.

Does anyone know why?

I'm using a Lenovo U510 (ideapad).

It happens instantly. Turns on before the lid even completely closes.

Then it takes me to this menu:

lenovo-ideapad-u310-touch-novo-key.jpg

Buy better pc.

Just kidding. 

But I had to.

Hmm. Perhaps something got borked with your Windows Power Settings? Are you shutting down from the start menu or are you using the power button to shut down? If you're using the power button, is there a possibility that the power button was somehow reassigned as restart?

This might be an issue for Lenovo support rather than here...

If it's restarting instead of shutting down when it should: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/60526fa7-2864-40fb-abd6-8e314ebcb73e/windows-7-reboots-when-i-try-to-shutdown?forum=w7itprogeneral

You may also want to change Window's behavior on lid close, under control panel -> power options.

If it's getting a crash/error on shutdown, disable "automatically restart" on system failure, within the advanced system settings, also in control panel.

Hmm. Perhaps something got borked with your Windows Power Settings? Are you shutting down from the start menu or are you using the power button to shut down? If you're using the power button, is there a possibility that the power button was somehow reassigned as restart?

This might be an issue for Lenovo support rather than here...

No, I always shut down through the a. Metro or b. the Charms Bar.

And trust me I know but Lenovo support is useless. Tried their community forum as well, no one even responds.

If it's restarting instead of shutting down when it should: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/60526fa7-2864-40fb-abd6-8e314ebcb73e/windows-7-reboots-when-i-try-to-shutdown?forum=w7itprogeneral

You may also want to change Window's behavior on lid close, under control panel -> power options.

If it's getting a crash/error on shutdown, disable "automatically restart" on system failure, within the advanced system settings, also in control panel.

I've done this, I changed it when closing lid on battery power, or on charger. It's set so it would only sleep.

BUT this does not effect after shutdown.

And that's the weird thing, I'm not getting any error messages.. It just goes straight to that Novo Button Menu after shutdown and almost closing lid.

It happend to my old Laptop too, I have no idea cause i just changed mine since it was like 6 or 7 years old and it needed to rest :/

Mine's only about 2 years old, and I've been extra careful with it. @_@

Did you try changing the "PowerdownAfterShutdown" key in the registry?

It just goes straight to that Novo Button Menu after shutdown and almost closing lid.

What happens when you let it power down before closing the lid?

Did you try changing the "PowerdownAfterShutdown" key in the registry?

What happens when you let it power down before closing the lid?

I don't know how to do that @_@

But I've never tinkered with it or anything so I can't imagine why it would change.

But I should check it, walk me through it?

Replicate the issue and after your laptop boots up again check if there is anything unusual in event viewer. 

Would you care to go Team Viewer with me and have a look at it? Because I'm looking at it right now and I am seeing numbers for Critical and for Error....

The second post in the Microsoft Technet thread I linked to should have the information you need to check/change the setting.

Sorry I forgot to mention I'm using Windows 8. 

The link is for Windows 7. Would it work still?

Would you care to go Team Viewer with me and have a look at it? Because I'm looking at it right now and I am seeing numbers for Critical and for Error....

I would but I can't get on my PC now.

Try viewing the closest critical, error and warning logs to when your laptop wonked out. Check what the message says and you can try googling it.

Edited by Cerberus_Sokol

I would but I can't get on my Pc now.

Try viewing the closest critical, error and warning logs to when your laptop wonked out. Cheek what the message says and you can try googling it.

Okay, well the first one is a Critical: "The application (Alcohol 120%, from vendor Alcohol Soft) was hard-blocked and raised the following: Alcohol 120% is incompatible with this version of Windows. For more information, contact Alcohol Soft."

I remember installing this after downloading GTA San Andreas from a Torrent. @_@ (Karma I guess).

No idea how to uninstall it, but I haven't installed the game fully. Deleted them all already.

Second Critical: Kernel-power: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." (x43 of these...... I don't even force shutdown.....).

Long list of errors...

Never mind, thought what I had found would help but it was really badly explained.

As for the Alcohol 120%, I doubt it is the culprit since the message says it is simply blocked due to not working with Win8. It's more likely that a faulty hardware or driver is forcing your laptop to re-awake (or faulty power options in windows). The second critical message will show up every time in the logs if the system did not shut down properly so it doesn't say much.

I don't know, keep searching on forums for possible solutions.

Also try this (it's from the Saenol's link):

"Also,
Go to device manager, network adapter, your network card...right click, proparities, power managment. Check if "allow this device to wake up computer from standby mode" is selected. if so then uncheck it.
go to your bios and disable wake up on lan , or disable any setting that can bring the computer up from sleep.
updating the bios or resetting it is a big help."
Edited by Cerberus_Sokol