The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frost And Rhino Ults Make No Sense

egregiousRac

Currently Frost and Rhino have extremely similar ults. Here is what they look like:

Frost (Avalanche)

1500 Damage

15 Range

1 Second Stun

Stagger

Rhino (Stomp)

800 Damage (1600 in a small area)

25 Range

8 Second Stun

Small Knockback

As you can see Stomp is huge and better CC all around compared to Avalanche. It dilates time, which makes no sense for Rhino, causing an 8 second stun while Frost, who freezes people solid, can only stun for one second. This makes no sense. Here is what I would like to see:

Frost (Avalanche)

800 Damage

15 Range

8 Second Stun - This gives Frost a way to lock down a region, giving him much needed utility. A weaker version of this was in the game for a while, and was very well received by players.

Stagger

Rhino (Stomp)

2000-1000 Damage based on distance to target.

25 Range

Throws enemies away, throwing enemies farther the closer they are to Rhino. At the edge of the range it should just be a knockdown. The distance thrown would require testing. - This gives Rhino an effective and unique CC that actually fits his character and doesn't shatter time in the process.

Edited by egregiousRac

Frost needs utility now? 

He kinda has 2 AOE slows and a single target freeze. 

Not really seeing how Frost needs more CC. 

As for Rhino, that just kinda sound like his old Radial Slam but buffed a lot. 

Stomp gives Rhino a skill that let's him work till late game as it is a hard CC on top of him having roar, so he can double duty as a CC and team buffer

Avalanche needs to get it's 5 second freeze back. 

That's it.

Edited by fatpig84

Stomp gives Rhino a skill that let's him work till late game as it is a hard CC on top of him having roar, so he can double duty as a CC and team buffer

That's it.

yeah that bug was the best bug in the history of bugs

That's it.

So 5 seconds of freeze somehow is okay compared to 8 seconds in a 66% larger area? What? Also, Rhino has 3 other above average skills. His ult is amazing, but with this change would still be good. Frost has one above average skill.

Yes to the Avalanche ideas, but Stomp? Uh, no.

Not only the concept is one of Rhino's most iconic abilities but also there are so many other things that make no sense whatsoever, I don't see how it's so 'out of character'.

Then Avalanche would just be Stomp in a smaller area. The idea is to make them different, and since it makes sense to have freezing things solid be a stun, that leaves changing Stomp.

Frost needs utility now? 

He kinda has 2 AOE slows and a single target freeze. 

Not really seeing how Frost needs more CC. 

As for Rhino, that just kinda sound like his old Radial Slam but buffed a lot. 

The single target freeze is horrible because it breaks if anyone damages the target at all, and slows are not nearly as effective as stuns. As for the Rhino change, it would make him more interesting to play by far.

You're trying to destroy Rhino's CC? Sure, throwing them away might be considered CC...but what about narrow corridors? They're just gonna get knocked down on their asses?

Rhino already has a fantastic damage buff, CC immunity, and a decent mobility skill. Does he really need to have an 8 second stun too? The knockdown alone is still around 2 seconds.

Edited by egregiousRac

Stomp deals 1600 damage in a range close to that of Avalanche. I do love the effects on Avalanche though, and the effects on both abilities wouldn't change.

didnt they talk about bringing back the bug for frost though in a dev stream

didnt they talk about bringing back the bug for frost though in a dev stream

I don't recall them ever saying this.

The issue here is not just the ineffectiveness of Avalanche, it is also that the only differences in the abilities are looks and stats, with one being both longer range and duration. When there are this few of characters no two abilities should be this similar. The same goes for Loki and Ash for invisibility and teleport, though there are some differences there. For invisibility, one has longer duration and the other one staggers enemies when you enter it, while for teleport, one switches with the target while the other places you behind it, ready to backstab. They are still effectively the same skills, which reduces differentiation and makes one character clearly stronger. Just tweaking stats and adding/removing small effects doesn't balance them, because the only way to balance such similar skills is to make them the same. That leaves the other solution, reworking one or both of the abilities in question.

I don't recall them ever saying this.

The issue here is not just the ineffectiveness of Avalanche, it is also that the only differences in the abilities are looks and stats, with one being both longer range and duration. When there are this few of characters no two abilities should be this similar. The same goes for Loki and Ash for invisibility and teleport, though there are some differences there. For invisibility, one has longer duration and the other one staggers enemies when you enter it, while for teleport, one switches with the target while the other places you behind it, ready to backstab. They are still effectively the same skills, which reduces differentiation and makes one character clearly stronger. Just tweaking stats and adding/removing small effects doesn't balance them, because the only way to balance such similar skills is to make them the same. That leaves the other solution, reworking one or both of the abilities in question.

it was the one right after they fixed it, scout was talking about how the community really liked bug and they said they might work it back into the game

rhino ultimate is useful and looks cool why the hell would you want to change that one?

and about frost, well i do like his skill set, the problem is his ultimate is focused on direct damage which doesn't scale well and requires a different build than his other skills to get even decent, still i think it should have a longer frozen time and that frozen status should give a defense debuff   

those saying frost is not powerful just dont know how to use it, i had a lot of fun soloing Ceres boss yesterday with a frost prime and my drakgoon

Edited by Edgedemon

I argue a 5 second avalanche is better than a 8 second stomp, since for 8 seconds Rhino cannot stomp again until everything that is floating is dead.

It is the same deal with Chaos, that is why certain Nyx users actively push their Chaos to last 10 seconds.  

Trust me, I will go lower if Chaos was allowed to go lower.