Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Open/ic] The Arcadia Night Market

Arunafeltz

(Phew, that must've hurt)

Zeph does take his seat and take his coffee "That was quick, Thanks" he replied with a Smile, a tad forced at that. with the Tenno around him it was hard for him to keep a normal and composed posture

Edited by Drakeardian

Several stalls offering specialty snacks from all over the system lined the streets, their aromas whetting the appetites of all who passed. Sweet, savoury, sour or bitter, the Night Market's variety promised to cater to every taste.

At the other end of the Market area stood secure armouries and hardware stores. These were typically run by dealers or retired war veterans, and counted on the Night Market's traffic to procure and vend their goods. Armament trade in the Night Market was also less restricted and regulated than in other civillian colonies, so more devastating and heavy pieces of hardware and explosive ordinance could be traded here.

Keya sniffed around, wishing she could have a sample of everything on the stalls. She wandered through the market, and noticed a small stall selling sweet buns dusted with what looked and smelled like Terran Cinnamon, bark from the cinnamon trees found in Earth's expansive forests, and supposedly a delicacy to humans far before the innovation of cloning. The inquisitive Nyx decided to buy one such bun, to try an ancient human delicacy.

The craftsman keyed in the measurements into his Osprey attendant and reached for a roll of robe fabric. "Very well, sir. I'll get to work on your request, and you can have your goods picked up in about two days." he informed his patron. "Or if you're planning on accommodation in our Village, I can also have it delivered to you."

"I'll be around to pick them up after the cycles are complete, Do i pay now or after I receive the robes?"

Keya sniffed around, wishing she could have a sample of everything on the stalls. She wandered through the market, and noticed a small stall selling sweet buns dusted with what looked and smelled like Terran Cinnamon, bark from the cinnamon trees found in Earth's expansive forests, and supposedly a delicacy to humans far before the innovation of cloning. The inquisitive Nyx decided to buy one such bun, to try an ancient human delicacy.

"Here you go, miss!" the cheerful vendor said as she placed a bun in her hands. The Arcadia Night Market was located in the orbit of Mars, its proximity to Earth meant that several trading vessels stopped here to sell produce that grew only on Earth's lush tropical climate. As such, the Market was a prime location to sell food products at lower prices, whereas other locations in the system had to pay higher prices or make do with nutrition goop space food.

"I'll be around to pick them up after the cycles are complete, Do i pay now or after I receive the robes?"

"Payment collected on delivery, sir. It is our policy to acknowledge the transaction only after the customer has viewed and approved of our product." the craftsman said. "Have a good day."

Zeph quietly sipped his coffee, saying to the waitress who brought his coffee "Do you have a News-pad I could have?" Asked the Commander as he asked polity curiously

"Of course, sir." said Soling. She headed to the counter and reached underneath for a disposable newspad, dusted it off and handed it to her customer.

"Payment collected on delivery, sir. It is our policy to acknowledge the transaction only after the customer has viewed and approved of our product." the craftsman said. "Have a good day."

"You as well." Jerry gave a slight bow before turning and heading off towards his ship to check and see that the earlier purchases were delivered, if so he'd move them into the storage area of his vessel.

-snip-

Much of the labour in the Night Market was attended to by robots and the resident crewmen, and service was largely managed by the youths who were still undergoing education or training. Credits in the Night Market were generally generated through trading, but there were still opportunities for those who were seeking work. Several notice boards were connected to the Origin system's Bounty Network, containing listings of the rewards offered on the heads or captures of certain infamous personalities. Ship pilots were also sometimes hired in the Hangar to eliminate asteroids that drifted into the Hangar's docking zone, and the armouries that set up shop here also needed experienced gunmen to test and calibrate the weapons that they traded in.

-snip

(Hmmm...sounds easy. For a Tenno, at least. Although, I can't see how this could go wrong at all.)

Umbra walked past an armoury with a sign out the front advertising positions for weapons testing and calibrating. Shrugging and deciding it might be a constructive waste of time, he went in.

"Don't suppose you are looking for a weapons tester or calibrator?" He asked the clerk on duty. "Trying to waste time and this seems like a constructive use of it."

Zeph nodded "Thank you" he said to the Waitress as he took a moment to reach the latest news of the Galaxy. 

Meanwhile some drunk crew members from Zeph's were singing the Corpus National Anthem outside the Creamy Sands with the most drunken singing voices ever heard!

Edited by Drakeardian

"You as well." Jerry gave a slight bow before turning and heading off towards his ship to check and see that the earlier purchases were delivered, if so he'd move them into the storage area of his vessel.

Due to the localized locations of the trading and warehouse areas as well as the availability of delivery robotics, the transportation of goods all over the Night Market was highly efficient. A cargo MOA was already standing by his ship with his goods, and would have assembled them into his cargo bay itself but it lacked clearance from the ship's pilot to enter the vessel.

(Hmmm...sounds easy. For a Tenno, at least. Although, I can't see how this could go wrong at all.)

Umbra walked past an armoury with a sign out the front advertising positions for weapons testing and calibrating. Shrugging and deciding it might be a constructive waste of time, he went in.

"Don't suppose you are looking for a weapons tester or calibrator?" He asked the clerk on duty. "Trying to waste time and this seems like a constructive use of it."

"Oh, a Te- uh I mean. Yes, yes we are actually." the clerk said, slightly taken aback by his patron. Tenno were welcome and walked among the crowd in the Night Market, but many of them still never had talked to one of the warrior-gods face-to-face before.

A large, burly man at the counter looked up from his work and surveyed the Tenno.  

"We got a shipment of second-hand Dera model pulse repeaters a while back. Many of them were customized to suit their previous owner's preferences, we need someone to recalibrate or mark for replacement any modified components, and check that they are all in operational condition." the man said in a gruff voice. "If you have experience working with Corpus weaponry, the weapons are awaiting inspection in the workstation 'round back."

Zeph nodded "Thank you" he said to the Waitress as he took a moment to reach the latest news of the Galaxy. 

Meanwhile some drunk crew members from Zeph's were singing the Corpus National Anthem outside the Creamy Sands with the most drunken singing voices ever heard!

Oddly enough, the scene outside seemed to be helping with the Creamy Sand's publicity. When curious onlookers shifted their gaze past the drunken crewmen, they noticed the rather homey-looking cafe and proceeded inside for a break and drink. The resident pair of waitresses had their hands full with ushering their new guests in.

Zeph perked around and watched as the drunken crewmen continued to sing the corpus National Anthem drunkenly, Unfortunately one of them decided to flirt with one of the people walking to the Cafe,

Zeph put down 50 credits and waited if the drunkard tried anything or how they would re-act

"Here you go, miss!" the cheerful vendor said as she placed a bun in her hands. The Arcadia Night Market was located in the orbit of Mars, its proximity to Earth meant that several trading vessels stopped here to sell produce that grew only on Earth's lush tropical climate. As such, the Market was a prime location to sell food products at lower prices, whereas other locations in the system had to pay higher prices or make do with nutrition goop space food.

"I've never had a bun before, I'm so used to the dry nutritional food we have to eat in space, because it doesn't spoil..." Keya thought to herself. She flicked a chip containing 50 credits onto the stall's work-surface. "Thank you!" She said, and walked away, pulling pieces of the bun off and eating them. She looked over to the other side of the market, towards the arms dealers. She hoped to spot Sadarus there, but he was nowhere to be seen. She walked over, and saw a stall with a sign above it saying: "Animatronics and Arms". She browsed the wears, and noticed a piece of gear that attracted her undivided attention. She had seen a Helios class Sentinel, Corpus by design, deactivated and gathering dust behind a range of Moa parts.

"How much for the scanner sentinel?" She asked the keeper of the stall.

"I've never had a bun before, I'm so used to the dry nutritional food we have to eat in space, because it doesn't spoil..." Keya thought to herself. She flicked a chip containing 50 credits onto the stall's work-surface. "Thank you!" She said, and walked away, pulling pieces of the bun off and eating them. She looked over to the other side of the market, towards the arms dealers. She hoped to spot Sadarus there, but he was nowhere to be seen. She walked over, and saw a stall with a sign above it saying: "Animatronics and Arms". She browsed the wears, and noticed a piece of gear that attracted her undivided attention. She had seen a Helios class Sentinel, Corpus by design, deactivated and gathering dust behind a range of Moa parts.

"How much for the scanner sentinel?" She asked the keeper of the stall.

"This pile of salvage?" the vendor asked, a little surprised at her apparent interest. "You can take him off my hands for 6000 credits, that's including his Deconstructor weapon drivers. His programming seems a little faulty though, and writing drivers isn't my field of expertise."

He hesitated a little, then added. "And uh, yeah his optics and batteries aren't working all that well to be honest. Well, that's why I'm offering it to you for such a fantastic price."

"This pile of salvage?" the vendor asked, a little surprised at her apparent interest. "You can take him off my hands for 6000 credits, that's including his Deconstructor weapon drivers. His programming seems a little faulty though, and writing drivers isn't my field of expertise."

He hesitated a little, then added. "And uh, yeah his optics and batteries aren't working all that well to be honest. Well, that's why I'm offering it to you for such a fantastic price."

"I'll take it, then. All he needs is a bit of tender love and care." Keya reached into her pocket for the payment. "I'll fix him up."

Along with the sentinel, Keya bought a metal case to store it in. She was silently ecstatic, because she knew that Helios sentinels could scan areas for information, so she related to the robot. She had always been smarter than her brother, Sadarus. Where he enjoyed blowing things up, she enjoyed building and learning. So, this sentinel was a perfect match for her inquisitive mind.

Due to the localized locations of the trading and warehouse areas as well as the availability of delivery robotics, the transportation of goods all over the Night Market was highly efficient. A cargo MOA was already standing by his ship with his goods, and would have assembled them into his cargo bay itself but it lacked clearance from the ship's pilot to enter the vessel.

Jerry smiled at the cargo MOA, "Ah an XC-47 model," he let out a content sigh, "always loved the reliability. Come then let's get these things inside." He punched in his codes on his tablet, the access ramp lowered allowing them both to step aboard. "I do rather dislike that they designated all of your type of mechs with MOA, you aren't all meant for military use. Then again it's better than Mobile Operation Platform or the many other possible names we had lined up... What is your designation exactly?" he made small talk with the MOA as they worked.

-snip-

"Oh, a Te- uh I mean. Yes, yes we are actually." the clerk said, slightly taken aback by his patron. Tenno were welcome and walked among the crowd in the Night Market, but many of them still never had talked to one of the warrior-gods face-to-face before.

A large, burly man at the counter looked up from his work and surveyed the Tenno.  

"We got a shipment of second-hand Dera model pulse repeaters a while back. Many of them were customized to suit their previous owner's preferences, we need someone to recalibrate or mark for replacement any modified components, and check that they are all in operational condition." the man said in a gruff voice. "If you have experience working with Corpus weaponry, the weapons are awaiting inspection in the workstation 'round back."

-snip-

"Deras? Seen them used occasionally, both Corpus and Tenno specifications. Not a bad weapon in my opinion, but it doesn't catch my eye. Digression aside, I can spot the modified components, but I'll probably have to do test firing to narrow down what modifications are where, and calibrations are something I leave to my suit AI to solve."

Jerry smiled at the cargo MOA, "Ah an XC-47 model," he let out a content sigh, "always loved the reliability. Come then let's get these things inside." He punched in his codes on his tablet, the access ramp lowered allowing them both to step aboard. "I do rather dislike that they designated all of your type of mechs with MOA, you aren't all meant for military use. Then again it's better than Mobile Operation Platform or the many other possible names we had lined up... What is your designation exactly?" he made small talk with the MOA as they worked.

The MOA cocked its head to the side, then turned to some words stamped on its right leg. It read "Cargo MOA C1-11" in white letters and numbers.

The MOA had a magnetokinesis gun mounted atop its head, and used it to levitate and transfer the goods into the ship's cargo bay. The Night Market didn't seem to care for patching up their robotic beasts of burden's hulls, but they still made sure to program them with the best cargo compression drivers for the most efficient sorting and use of available space.

"Deras? Seen them used occasionally, both Corpus and Tenno specifications. Not a bad weapon in my opinion, but it doesn't catch my eye. Digression aside, I can spot the modified components, but I'll probably have to do test firing to narrow down what modifications are where, and calibrations are something I leave to my suit AI to solve."

"Firing range is behind the workshop." the big man replied, not taking his eyes off his work.

The workshop was outfitted with benches and all the necessary tools for smithing, maintaining and modifying personal armaments. The firing range, while rather small, had two lanes and a range of reassembling targets that ranged from ballistic jelly moulds to cardboard cutouts.

-snip-

"Firing range is behind the workshop." the big man replied, not taking his eyes off his work.

The workshop was outfitted with benches and all the necessary tools for smithing, maintaining and modifying personal armaments. The firing range, while rather small, had two lanes and a range of reassembling targets that ranged from ballistic jelly moulds to cardboard cutouts.

"Thanks." Umbra replied as he entered the workshop. He got to work quickly. He picked up the first Dera and started inspecting it.

"Sudo: calibrate: Dera base specifications." He ordered to his in-suit AI. He checked the exterior for any modifications, then test-fired it at a target. The weapon fired with pinpoint accuracy and left behind a scorch mark on the cardboard cutout of a Harvester.

"Tenno-made. Must've cost a pretty penny this one." He placed it into an empty box and wrote 'Tested weapons on the side.'

"Thanks." Umbra replied as he entered the workshop. He got to work quickly. He picked up the first Dera and started inspecting it.

"Sudo: calibrate: Dera base specifications." He ordered to his in-suit AI. He checked the exterior for any modifications, then test-fired it at a target. The weapon fired with pinpoint accuracy and left behind a scorch mark on the cardboard cutout of a Harvester.

"Tenno-made. Must've cost a pretty penny this one." He placed it into an empty box and wrote 'Tested weapons on the side.'

He would find that the shipment of Deras mostly had their energy output lowered and were almost all outfitted with cell recyclers. It appeared that the crew who previously used these weapons had a problem with ammunition supply and needed to conserve it as much as they could. Appropriate recalibration of the energy regulation units would restore the energy input and output back to marketed specifications, while the cell recyclers were essentially mods that could be detached, maintained and reused or resold.

Crab was quietly chatting with another patron and taking in the air of the cafe, When you have been in a battle for most of your life its easy to appreciate such things.

"Quite a place.. No wonder its so popular.. Also makes me wonder why the Grineer or Corpus have not attempted to take over"

Crab thought for a moment before shruging and returning to his mug of coffee.

He would find that the shipment of Deras mostly had their energy output lowered and were almost all outfitted with cell recyclers. It appeared that the crew who previously used these weapons had a problem with ammunition supply and needed to conserve it as much as they could. Appropriate recalibration of the energy regulation units would restore the energy input and output back to marketed specifications, while the cell recyclers were essentially mods that could be detached, maintained and reused or resold.

(Cell recyclers...have to remember that one.)

After working through half of one of the crates, Umbra found a rather heavily modded Dera. It looked something like a bastard child spawned from a drunken night between a Penta, an Ogris, a dabbling of Flux Rifle parts before being melded into he vague form of a Dera with the chassis slapped on and held together with 'Tarzan's Grip' superglue in the depths of Alad V's labs. Umbra remained silent for a moment.

"How the heck could something like this exist?" he asked himself. "This looks like a deathtrap waiting to go off."

He looked around for a moment, then test fired the weapon at a Ballistic gel target. The weapon hummed with energy, then fired a Penta grenade with sufficient force to lodge it into the target.

Umbra looked at the grenade, then back to the gun, then back to the grenade, then back to the gun. (Sadly, he does not own the gun, but he can own something LIKE the gun if he stopped using Vor scented bodywash and switched to Tenno Spice.) He then gently placed it next to the box of tested, recalibrated and de-modded Deras before ducking his head around the corner of the doorway

"Uh, guys, one of the guns in that shipment isn't like the others." He said. "I think it's something Salad made in one of his off-days, so I don't know if the grenade is on a timer or remote detonation."

Idle social interaction can be nice and casual and all, but I guess we should start spicing things up just a little soon. Maybe a little disturbance or something.

(Cell recyclers...have to remember that one.)

After working through half of one of the crates, Umbra found a rather heavily modded Dera. It looked something like a bastard child spawned from a drunken night between a Penta, an Ogris, a dabbling of Flux Rifle parts before being melded into he vague form of a Dera with the chassis slapped on and held together with 'Tarzan's Grip' superglue in the depths of Alad V's labs. Umbra remained silent for a moment.
"How the heck could something like this exist?" he asked himself. "This looks like a deathtrap waiting to go off."

He looked around for a moment, then test fired the weapon at a Ballistic gel target. The weapon hummed with energy, then fired a Penta grenade with sufficient force to lodge it into the target.
Umbra looked at the grenade, then back to the gun, then back to the grenade, then back to the gun. (Sadly, he does not own the gun, but he can own something LIKE the gun if he stopped using Vor scented bodywash and switched to Tenno Spice.) He then gently placed it next to the box of tested, recalibrated and de-modded Deras before ducking his head around the corner of the doorway
"Uh, guys, one of the guns in that shipment isn't like the others." He said. "I think it's something Salad made in one of his off-days, so I don't know if the grenade is on a timer or remote detonation."

I haven't thought too much about it. I suppose it's just a mod that cycles some of the energy from the projectile leaving the barrel to charge cells in the gun's reserve? Definitely inferior to the Ammo Mutator mods that the Tenno use though.

The big man stepped in from the counter a moment later. He took a good look at the weird-looking weapon, then picked it up gingerly and laid it into a secure locker.

"Explosives are among the more strictly controlled products in the Night Market. I'll deal with this later, just don't let any of the Market's officers see this if they stop by for an inspection." the man said.

The man made a mental note to examine the weapon more closely later, and headed back to his post without another word to return to his work, a clear indication to the Tenno that he should do the same.

Zeph continued to read his News-Pad, drinking his coffee and keeping an eye on his men that were drunkenly singing the Corpus National Anthem all the way into the market. He said to one of the Waitresses "Well that was fun wasn't it?"

"Mmm? Well, yes. Our customers can get pretty drunk on joy at times." the black-haired Soling replied. She didn't linger to chat, however as she had tables to clear. 

Zeph smiled and left the Creamy sands to take some sleep at the Arcadia, He paid 1600 credits for the Presidential suit and headed to his room for the night.

Meanwhile Number 2 popped around to the Weapons Station where Umbra would be working at, The Rail-gun Moa said to the shop-keeper "Greeting: I hope you are having a good day sir, This One would like to begin a operation of trade with your weapons if possible"

The clerk at the counter was a little surprised to be dealing with a robot. But then again, everyone these days used their robotic attendants as errand boys.

"Of course... sir. How may I help you?" he inquired, leaning over the counter so he could see the MOA better.

"Request: Ten thousand each of the following: Dera Energy Cells, Supra Plasma Cartridges, Penta Proton Grenades, Flux and Spectra Batteries, By Request of Commander Zeph Aryen of the R.C.S Soundwave." Replied the MOA with a polite and somewhat Cute voice as it nodded it's rail-gun at the Shop-keeper